career change

Thread: career change

Unregistered

Question career change

I am cross posting this in each forum since it seems there is not necessarily a lot of cross over:

I am looking to make a career change and have looked at getting into law enforcement but never made the move before. I am 36 years old and fit enough to complete the basic requirements in Hillsborough and Pinellas county. Being as I believe the next academy is in April I have time to train a bit before taking the test, so that should help as well - but perhaps I am misinformed on that. However, in my life situation I need to look at an agency that will also pay a wage during academy. As far as I am aware this leaves Hills, Pinellas or St. Pete Police, and sometimes Pasco when they offer it. Out of these, which would you say is the most preferable to start in?

Unregistered
    I'd say PCSO is probably the best of them...St. Pete better than HCSO. HCSO is a great place to work from what I understand, but they put you through their own boot camp or something. People ain't got time for that! Especially if you certify as a self sponsored recruit.

Unregistered
    Apply at both PCSO and SPPD.
    PCSO is what you want, but SPPD is plan B, it's not as bad as some say.
    If for any reason PCSO doesn't get you in, take SPPD

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Apply at both PCSO and SPPD.
    PCSO is what you want, but SPPD is plan B, it's not as bad as some say.
    If for any reason PCSO doesn't get you in, take SPPD
    Thank you for the tips, this is likely the direction I will go at this time.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thank you for the tips, this is likely the direction I will go at this time.

Good luck and stay focused on your future and your goals. When you come to a site like this, you will see a lot of negativity. Keep in mind that officers who are content rarely have to go somewhere to vent so most people who show up here and post are other than happy. I would prefer PCSO and if I could do it over again I would not have spent so much of my life here, but I would probably have used it to gain experience than move on after a few years. It's not nearly as bad as the post here would indicate, but the politics of the City itself are getting worse and the future of St Pete is very questionable. If you are the person who can stay out of the gossip circles and avoid the sideshows and drama, and "team picking" mentality, then you would do fine here and most anywhere. A lot of it is how you condition yourself and react to life and the people you interact with. There are some assholes no matter where you go, if you have a few skills they can't get to you. Good luck !!!

Unregistered
    I also would choose pcso if I were to do it all over again. If you want to work in hillsborough county, I’d choose Tampa over hcso.

I agree that there are a lot of trolls here that can never be happy, but I would not dismiss every negative thread posted here. Read some of them and really think about it. A lot of what’s posted about this place is true.

I didn’t listen when I was warned about some of the issues sppd has had over the decades, and kinda regret just taking the first job thrown at me. Really think about it.