Heading North not looking bad. Good luck MDPD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Heading North not looking bad. Good luck MDPD

After 15+ years laboring at MDPD, I have finally decided to pull the plug and head north to work at a small town department. Don’t get me wrong, I will miss the majority of those I worked with. What I won’t miss is a department headed by an unqualified Director, more akin to a high schooler in heat than a responsible leader. I will not miss the political promotions and the cutthroat mentality of a HQ where favors are exchanged for promotions. I will not miss the back stabbers spread throughout the department whose orders are to keep an ear on the ground and report rumors and gossip to a juvenile director. I will not miss the laughable break dancing and push up contests in front of HQ or the broken English comments to any camera that shows up at a crime scene. I wish all good luck and encourage you to look for a simpler life elsewhere away from here where a man or women’s word or a handshake still mean something. God speed.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    After 15+ years laboring at MDPD, I have finally decided to pull the plug and head north to work at a small town department. Don’t get me wrong, I will miss the majority of those I worked with. What I won’t miss is a department headed by an unqualified Director, more akin to a high schooler in heat than a responsible leader. I will not miss the political promotions and the cutthroat mentality of a HQ where favors are exchanged for promotions. I will not miss the back stabbers spread throughout the department whose orders are to keep an ear on the ground and report rumors and gossip to a juvenile director. I will not miss the laughable break dancing and push up contests in front of HQ or the broken English comments to any camera that shows up at a crime scene. I wish all good luck and encourage you to look for a simpler life elsewhere away from here where a man or women’s word or a handshake still mean something. God speed.
    Your words are so very true and touching. A handshake is meaningless in some parts of America, like south Florida.
    I wish you the best and thank you for your service here in hell

Unregistered
    Sir, I heard through the grapevine you were leaving. Just wanted to say it was an honor working with you and later for you. You were a stand up cop throughout your career and helped many young rookies acclimate to this profession. You will be sorely missed by your peers. Best to you and your family and hope to join you some day far away from here.

Unregistered
    Congrats. If I didn’t have a family, I would be doing the same.

Unregistered
    I dont have that long on and im ALREADY contemplating going north miami is just so ass backward its not even funny, you made the best choice for you and your people. South florida is overrated.

Unregistered

nobody from nowhere

Excellent Post

Good luck in your future endeavors

You hit the nail on the head with the comment about back stabbers.

When you make LT in MDPD you have to go to a Middle Management 2 week class. No big deal. The 1 thing that rocked me the most was Chief Vigoa talking about when he was a major in a district and recommending that we follow or incorporate the same plan as he used because it worked great:

What he said is you pick 1 person from each unit (Patrol, GIU, Admin – there was a 4th but I don’t remember what it was) and you take them to breakfast once a week. And THAT’S how you find out about everything that is going on in your district. He DID NOT actually use the term “C.I” but I think we all realize that is what he was talking about. What a cretin.

It was impossible for me to have any respect for these command staff people if that was (and it is) their mindset. The only thing that really bothered me was that as a LT they (Cmnd Staff) expected me/us to adhere to/employ those same kind of tactics. Needless to say I went nowhere quick (and stayed there) to try and maintain some semblance of calm in my gastro-intestinal tract.

This was quite awhile ago, so it shows that the mindset of the upper echelon of this department has been warped for quite a while, it is not a recent phenomenon (unfortunately).

Unregistered
    Excellent Post

Good luck in your future endeavors

You hit the nail on the head with the comment about back stabbers.

When you make LT in MDPD you have to go to a Middle Management 2 week class. No big deal. The 1 thing that rocked me the most was Chief Vigoa talking about when he was a major in a district and recommending that we follow or incorporate the same plan as he used because it worked great:

What he said is you pick 1 person from each unit (Patrol, GIU, Admin – there was a 4th but I don’t remember what it was) and you take them to breakfast once a week. And THAT’S how you find out about everything that is going on in your district. He DID NOT actually use the term “C.I” but I think we all realize that is what he was talking about. What a cretin.

It was impossible for me to have any respect for these command staff people if that was (and it is) their mindset. The only thing that really bothered me was that as a LT they (Cmnd Staff) expected me/us to adhere to/employ those same kind of tactics. Needless to say I went nowhere quick (and stayed there) to try and maintain some semblance of calm in my gastro-intestinal tract.

This was quite awhile ago, so it shows that the mindset of the upper echelon of this department has been warped for quite a while, it is not a recent phenomenon (unfortunately).
    Or be a goid leader and talk to the troops listen to them and fix the problems

Unregistered

nobody from nowhere

Or be a goid leader and talk to the troops listen to them and fix the problems

you are absolutely correct. tried to do just that. keep an open mind and an even hand. hope I got it right more than I got it wrong. I guess I will find out at the second coming.

Unregistered
    What are good agencies up north? I am looking to leave too.

Unregistered
    I hate to rain on your exit parade but smaller agencies are just that, smaller agencies. If you think nepotism is bad here, wait until you get to Mayberry. Transfers and promotions are rare. You can probably expect to stay in your hired position for the rest of your career. If you are okay with that, you'll be fine. If you think you'll be the town sheriff in two years, you'll be back. If that happens, don't feel ashamed, you won't be the first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast