FHP Interest

Thread: FHP Interest

Unregistered

FHP Interest

I currently work for a small PD and am looking to move on to a bigger agency. I see everyone is saying the pay for FHP is awful but from their latest recruitment post, you will be paid

$45,696.68 a Year
    $1,300 (Yearly Uniform Allowance)
    $960 (Yearly for Bachelor's Degree) Also states up to $1560 Yearly for Education Pay on the recruitment post but says $80 a month for Bachelor's Degree on website.
    Take home car
    FRS retirement system (3% multiplier and 3% contribution, 30 and out) Is this correct?

When you add those numbers up it's about $48,000 a year, plus probably a couple of grand a year in gas with a take home car which I do NOT currently have at my agency. And I believe FHP also offers 16 hours of SOAR a week and plenty of details?

My agency rarely has detail opportunity. I do currently make around $58-60 grand base and maybe around $70-75 grand with overtime/details/FTO Pay. It seems probable that I can make around the same amount at FHP and be invested in the FRS system. My agency also has a unstable pension of 2.75% multiplier/10% contribution/collect at 57 YOA. So FRS is much better in that aspect.

Just an idea I am tossing around and wanted some insight. I see everyone says FHP only makes around 38,000 but that's not what I am seeing? Thanks.

Unregistered
    Base pay of 45k if your assigned to Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, or a handful of others. As you mentioned, you'll eventually have the opportunity to increase your base pay with specific certifications which is helpful. In addition you'll always have the opportunity to grab details to supplement your pay. FRS is a solid pension and worth getting into as it's stable compared to city funded pensions. You'll see multiple negative viewpoints on here but that's pretty much what the forum was created for. You also have to take into that FHP's primary job function is much different as compared to an SO or a local PD with regards to the type of incidents and calls handled. With all the OT, detail opportunities available, and advancement opportunities out there you'll have the opportunity to live comfortably if you want to work and enjoy the job in general. You'll see a few posts on here of people who have left the highway for a better paying agency but actually miss the job they did here. Im not saying this is the greatest agency because it's not; every department is going to have it's negatives and and people who say to leave but it ultimately comes down to your view and doing a job that will make you happy, regardless of the pay.

Unregistered
    Thanks for the insight. The good thing is they also let you choose which county you want to work in if you are a lateral transfer with 2+ years. Every agency has it's negatives indeed. Officer's are flocking away from my department.

Unregistered
    No problem. Despite what people typically say it's a good agency to work for, as long as you enjoy the overall type of work you will be doing. As I'm sure you already know, it's mostly traffic here so you won't be handling your typical day to day service calls like your local PD. What matters the most though is that the pension is stable, pay is around average with the possibility to make more with supplemental OT, many advancement opportunities are available, and I actually enjoy the type of work we do.

Unregistered
    I agree with everything the other poster stated. This site is full of bad posts about this agency and I disagree with most of what is written here. FHP has been very good to me during my time here. It's a good job with some great people. There is plenty of overtime to be had if you want to work it. Some of the "higher" paying agencies that people talk about have some hidden costs that eat up all that extra pay (no take home cars, health insurance, high retirement contribution, etc)

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Thanks for the insight. The good thing is they also let you choose which county you want to work in if you are a lateral transfer with 2+ years. Every agency has it's negatives indeed. Officer's are flocking away from my department.
    Everyone has he option to choose where they want to go per se. If there is an opening, they will and you there in most cases.

Unregistered
    Which county's work 8 hour shifts and which ones work 12's?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I currently work for a small PD and am looking to move on to a bigger agency. I see everyone is saying the pay for FHP is awful but from their latest recruitment post, you will be paid

$45,696.68 a Year
    $1,300 (Yearly Uniform Allowance)
    $960 (Yearly for Bachelor's Degree) Also states up to $1560 Yearly for Education Pay on the recruitment post but says $80 a month for Bachelor's Degree on website.
    Take home car
    FRS retirement system (3% multiplier and 3% contribution, 30 and out) Is this correct?

When you add those numbers up it's about $48,000 a year, plus probably a couple of grand a year in gas with a take home car which I do NOT currently have at my agency. And I believe FHP also offers 16 hours of SOAR a week and plenty of details?

My agency rarely has detail opportunity. I do currently make around $58-60 grand base and maybe around $70-75 grand with overtime/details/FTO Pay. It seems probable that I can make around the same amount at FHP and be invested in the FRS system. My agency also has a unstable pension of 2.75% multiplier/10% contribution/collect at 57 YOA. So FRS is much better in that aspect.

Just an idea I am tossing around and wanted some insight. I see everyone says FHP only makes around 38,000 but that's not what I am seeing? Thanks.
    Ya FYI its not $960 plus the $1560 you can max out a combination of salary incentive classes and education at 110 or 120 per month.

STARTING PAY is 38,034 while in the academy and 40696 once out. Yes if you get assigned to one of the 12 counties in the state then you get the additional $416.00 per month.

https://beatrooper.com/requirements/