Healthcare???

Thread: Healthcare???

Unregistered

Healthcare???

Hello All,

I recently applied with TPD and I am going through the process. I have looked at the threads in here and noticed a lot of negative reviews about the city’s healthcare. I also looked at the insurance company’s reviews on the internet and they were not much better. Is UnitedHealthcare really that bad? Should I try to use my spouse’s insurance? Does it help if I just enrolled in the single plan and not the family plan? Thanks for any advice you all may be able to provide. Stay safe!

Unregistered
    Compare with your wife’s insurance and see which is better. The single insurance if it’s just you is only $25 a month. Hope this email copy helps.

2019 Alternate plan
    2000- 4000 deductible
    4000-8000 max out of pocket.
    $0 coinsurance
    Dollar first benefit
    Active members $13.38 single and $185.77 family.

Unregistered
    Thank you for your guidance. Hope to be working there soon!

Unregistered

Healthcare

Most of the recent concerns re. healthcare had to do with back and forth between the city and employees over attempts by the city to shift health care costs onto the employees in order to save the city money. City council was fairly supportive of the employees for this round, but expect the issue to pop up again in the future given that the city is self-insured. Not a pleasant issue, but one that seems to be on the table for most public employees -- reductions in coverage / increases in costs in response to rising health care costs.

United Health care does not actually insure us, they manage the city's health plan. Having said that, as someone who deals with them quite a bit sorting out billing for some chronic medical conditions in the family, I have found them reasonably responsive. In those instances where working the regular processes doesn't get the desired results, their in-house rep has been very helpful.

Any time you have to deal with the back and forth between docs & insurance companies it will get frustrating, but I have to say that overall my experience has been good. Don't let it slow you down. Welcome aboard.