Florida Amendment 10 - vote YES to get a Sheriff election - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Definitely need a fair contract and a better schedule like 4-10s or rotation weekends off with 12 hour shifts.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    It is with a heavy heart that I aqree with you. I doubt we will get a contract, let alone a good one, any time soon. We are at a crossroad regarding an elected sheriff and either direction does not seem favorable.

Status quo will give us more of the same. An elected sheriff will likely run on an ultra conservative fiscal platform. If elected that sheriff will not be open to increasing the police budget and instead, he/she will probably look to cut costs anywhere possible.

Be safe, get your money and gtfoh!
    Very true we need to spread this feeling and everyone get on the same page.

Unregistered
    The problem with the elected sheriff is you never know who you are going to get. You could end up Gimenez! Imagine that... he terms out only to get elected in another position. And then you may also have another problematic strong Mayor, trouble on two fronts.

I saw someone say they sheriff gets his own budget. That’s not true in every county. Some county’s the sheriff is constantly battlling with commissioners to approve his budget. Here he would probably be battling with the strong mayor.

Wouldn’t it be better putting our resources into
    1. Getting rid of the strong mayor system that has plagued the county since its adoption...
    Or
    2. Getting a reasonable strong mayor elected. One that puts public safety before his ego and will hopefully bring in real leadership?

Unregistered
    The problem with the elected sheriff is you never know who you are going to get. You could end up Gimenez! Imagine that... he terms out only to get elected in another position. And then you may also have another problematic strong Mayor, trouble on two fronts.

I saw someone say they sheriff gets his own budget. That’s not true in every county. Some county’s the sheriff is constantly battlling with commissioners to approve his budget. Here he would probably be battling with the strong mayor.

1. Getting rid of the strong mayor system that has plagued the county since its adoption...
    Or
    2. Getting a reasonable strong mayor elected. One that puts public safety before his ego and will hopefully bring in real leadership?
    YES!!!!!! This is exactly right!

Unregistered
    We have a sheriff now and the ills thst come with it, the strong mayor is the sheriff he put a puppet as undersheriff ( director) we might as well have transparency and vote for the top cop
    DON'T EVER forget that WE were instrumental in getting Alvarez elected and passing the Strong Mayor legislation.
    We get what we deserve!

Unregistered
    DON'T EVER forget that WE were instrumental in getting Alvarez elected and passing the Strong Mayor legislation.
    We get what we deserve!
    Just like the PBA we have now!!! Grin and bear it folks. Live with your choices.

Unregistered

Or
    You know what, let’s for a moment look at this without emotion or thinking about the wrongs that have been done to us by the mayor. Look at it as only a taxpayer and the services you receive. As far as they are concerned, Gimenez has done a good job. They have no significant reduction in service and have no higher taxes. He has kept them happy. He has managed the entire county well. Not so much for us. Now let’s say he does run for sheriff. He will have only one agency to fight for and run. He knows everything at the county. The new administration could not hide from him. I am not too concerned about that. Regardless of the politics, the autonomy is the key. We cannot continue to be a red headed stepchild in the larger county government and the only way to do that is thru an elected sheriff. We have to separate from the rest of 5he county government.

Unregistered
    You know what, let’s for a moment look at this without emotion or thinking about the wrongs that have been done to us by the mayor. Look at it as only a taxpayer and the services you receive. As far as they are concerned, Gimenez has done a good job. They have no significant reduction in service and have no higher taxes. He has kept them happy. He has managed the entire county well. Not so much for us. Now let’s say he does run for sheriff. He will have only one agency to fight for and run. He knows everything at the county. The new administration could not hide from him. I am not too concerned about that. Regardless of the politics, the autonomy is the key. We cannot continue to be a red headed stepchild in the larger county government and the only way to do that is thru an elected sheriff. We have to separate from the rest of 5he county government.
    Awesomely stated

Unregistered
    ^^ Very convincing statement. However, the irony of Gimenez being our Sheriff, no matter how good he would be for us, still makes me puke in my mouth a little.

Unregistered
    ^^ Very convincing statement. However, the irony of Gimenez being our Sheriff, no matter how good he would be for us, still makes me puke in my mouth a little.
    Me too. But we have to take our chances. Today we have a bad mayor and bad director.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast