Mike Scott announces retirement
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Mike Scott announces retirement

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott announces retirement after 30 years
    Michael Braun, Fort Myers News-Press Published 9:09 a.m. ET Sept. 10, 2018 | Updated 9:30 p.m. ET Sept. 10, 2018

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott discusses his decision to retire. Fort Myers News-Press

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott announced his retirement Monday to be effective on Sept. 24.

In a retirement letter released Monday morning, Scott cited his 30 years of service for the sheriff's office, the last 14 as sheriff.

"I have had the distinct honor of being elected four times and being only the 12th Sheriff to serve in the 131-year history of Lee County," Scott said in his letter.

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott announced today, September 10, 2018, he will be retiring as sheriff on Sept. 24, 2018.
    The sheriff cited family obligations that he said were now priorities as one of the reasons for his resignation now. Additionally, he said expectations for his fifth term would have to be announced at this point if he were to make the effort.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott was notified, the sheriff said, to allow him to appoint an interim sheriff until the next election, now scheduled for 2020.

Media interviews with the sheriff were scheduled later today.

Those who know Scott well were surprised by the date, not so much the sheriff's retirement.

"We will definitely miss him, " said Lee County Commissioner Cecil Pendergrass. "We all knew it would happen, just not the drop date."

Pendergrass said he and Scott were friends who grew up together and went to school together with the commissioner going to the Fort Myers Police Department while Scott turned to county law enforcement.

"He'll go down in history as one of the greatest sheriffs in Lee County," the commissioner said. "He definitely left his fingerprints on the community."

Fort Myers Police Chief Darrell Diggs was out of town, but Capt. Jay Rodriguez of the department's operations and investigations bureau said he has known the sheriff for 20 years.

"He is a great leader and a true friend. He has always been there for us in times of need as was evident during the loss of Adam," Rodriguez said, referring to the death of Adam Jobbers-Miller. "Sheriff Scott and Undersheriff Marceno provided unbelievable support for our agency and our community. We have a great working relationship and they know we would do the same for them at the drop of a hat but hope we never have to given the circumstances that cause it. I hate to see Mike leave but he definitely deserves it."

Lee County Undersheriff Carmine Marceno will be recommended as the interim sheriff after the retirement of Sheriff Mike Scott.

More: Undersheriff Carmine Marceno emerges as face of the Lee County Sheriff Office

More: Sheriff Mike Scott: 'I'm signing a four-year contract'

More: Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott wins fourth term

Scott described his time in office as challenging as well as amazing.

"My 30 years with the LCSO has afforded me a myriad of challenges, amazing opportunities to meet a wide variety of people, and above all the privilege of working with a fantastic team of talented professionals," he said. "The last 30 years of professional experiences flood my memory and, fortunately, the positives far outweigh the negative.

"The successes achieved have been because of the talented group of men and women at the LCSO and, equally as important, the great citizens and business leaders who have worked in partnership with us. With those partnerships, the crime rate has decreased year after year even though we have seen a substantial increase in the county’s population."

He concluded his retirement notice praising the sheriff's office and expressing confidence in the abilities of Undersheriff Carmine Marceno.

On Monday, Scott touched upon his promise during the 2016 campaign, when he dismissed rumors that he would retire midway through his next term, saying then he had no plans to quit.

"I'm signing a four-year contract with the people," he said just prior to that election. "They know they will have a part of me for the whole four years."

However, family obligations including his mother and mother-in-law who are in declining health forced him to advance his retirement.

"I had always thought to finish this term," he said late Monday. "That was my intention. But that's life. Sometimes there are things not anticipated."

Connect with this reporter: MichaelBraunNP (Facebook) @MichaelBraunNP (Twitter)

Unregistered

Yeah Right!

Six years with no raises for “the unwashed deputies” all the while he gave $5,000,000 per year back to the BOCC and secret raises to “ command staff thugs”.
    “He is one of us!” Was the campaign slogan by the gullible peasant deputies hoping for a break.
    Not so much.
    Mike feathered his own nest on the backs of rank and file. Now he is selling the office to the highest bidder. Carmine.
    Hypocrisy and arrogance.

Unregistered
    So, what will be the Going Rate for Promotions .... OOPs I mean the "Voluntary Contributions towards Carmine's Election Campaign " for one to attain , I mean Buy Rank ??????....

Unregistered

Investigation

Braun one of the most corrupt press along side King Pin Mike Scott 😂 Good Riddens

Unregistered
    Damn your bitter Mike H, we forgive you

Unregistered
    Hollow has to be nuts, you bad mouth Cape Coral Police Department and Lee County SO two weeks ago. “Two worse agencies in Florida” then post Todd Garrison and North Port is the best place to work and best leader? Why any LEO’s give this guy business is unbelievable.

Unregistered
    Letter has been sent to LCSO on Mr. Garrison two days ago. Also sent to media

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Six years with no raises for “the unwashed deputies” all the while he gave $5,000,000 per year back to the BOCC and secret raises to “ command staff thugs”.
    “He is one of us!” Was the campaign slogan by the gullible peasant deputies hoping for a break.
    Not so much.
    Mike feathered his own nest on the backs of rank and file. Now he is selling the office to the highest bidder. Carmine.
    Hypocrisy and arrogance.
    Well said. MS has been an insult to our Agency, and now farquaad will be no better.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Letter has been sent to LCSO on Mr. Garrison two days ago. Also sent to media
    Details details details

Unregistered
    All he did was sit at the fair and ball games

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast