Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott announces retirement after 30 years
Michael Braun, Fort Myers News-Press Published 9:09 a.m. ET Sept. 10, 2018 | Updated 9:30 p.m. ET Sept. 10, 2018

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott discusses his decision to retire. Fort Myers News-Press

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott announced his retirement Monday to be effective on Sept. 24.

In a retirement letter released Monday morning, Scott cited his 30 years of service for the sheriff's office, the last 14 as sheriff.

"I have had the distinct honor of being elected four times and being only the 12th Sheriff to serve in the 131-year history of Lee County," Scott said in his letter.

Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott announced today, September 10, 2018, he will be retiring as sheriff on Sept. 24, 2018.
The sheriff cited family obligations that he said were now priorities as one of the reasons for his resignation now. Additionally, he said expectations for his fifth term would have to be announced at this point if he were to make the effort.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott was notified, the sheriff said, to allow him to appoint an interim sheriff until the next election, now scheduled for 2020.

Media interviews with the sheriff were scheduled later today.

Those who know Scott well were surprised by the date, not so much the sheriff's retirement.

"We will definitely miss him, " said Lee County Commissioner Cecil Pendergrass. "We all knew it would happen, just not the drop date."

Pendergrass said he and Scott were friends who grew up together and went to school together with the commissioner going to the Fort Myers Police Department while Scott turned to county law enforcement.

"He'll go down in history as one of the greatest sheriffs in Lee County," the commissioner said. "He definitely left his fingerprints on the community."

Fort Myers Police Chief Darrell Diggs was out of town, but Capt. Jay Rodriguez of the department's operations and investigations bureau said he has known the sheriff for 20 years.

"He is a great leader and a true friend. He has always been there for us in times of need as was evident during the loss of Adam," Rodriguez said, referring to the death of Adam Jobbers-Miller. "Sheriff Scott and Undersheriff Marceno provided unbelievable support for our agency and our community. We have a great working relationship and they know we would do the same for them at the drop of a hat but hope we never have to given the circumstances that cause it. I hate to see Mike leave but he definitely deserves it."

Lee County Undersheriff Carmine Marceno will be recommended as the interim sheriff after the retirement of Sheriff Mike Scott.

More: Undersheriff Carmine Marceno emerges as face of the Lee County Sheriff Office

More: Sheriff Mike Scott: 'I'm signing a four-year contract'

More: Lee County Sheriff Mike Scott wins fourth term

Scott described his time in office as challenging as well as amazing.

"My 30 years with the LCSO has afforded me a myriad of challenges, amazing opportunities to meet a wide variety of people, and above all the privilege of working with a fantastic team of talented professionals," he said. "The last 30 years of professional experiences flood my memory and, fortunately, the positives far outweigh the negative.

"The successes achieved have been because of the talented group of men and women at the LCSO and, equally as important, the great citizens and business leaders who have worked in partnership with us. With those partnerships, the crime rate has decreased year after year even though we have seen a substantial increase in the county’s population."

He concluded his retirement notice praising the sheriff's office and expressing confidence in the abilities of Undersheriff Carmine Marceno.

On Monday, Scott touched upon his promise during the 2016 campaign, when he dismissed rumors that he would retire midway through his next term, saying then he had no plans to quit.

"I'm signing a four-year contract with the people," he said just prior to that election. "They know they will have a part of me for the whole four years."

However, family obligations including his mother and mother-in-law who are in declining health forced him to advance his retirement.

"I had always thought to finish this term," he said late Monday. "That was my intention. But that's life. Sometimes there are things not anticipated."

Connect with this reporter: MichaelBraunNP (Facebook) @MichaelBraunNP (Twitter)