Thinking About Calling It Quits
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unregistered

Thinking About Calling It Quits

So I've been working here on the road for a few years now (Won't get into how long, District, or Squad) but I've been on the road and have FTO experience. Honestly, I don't know how much longer I can work at this agency or even do this job anymore. I used to love going to work, but now I dread every second of it and just count down the minutes until I'm X7. This job isn't worth my life if my heart isn't in it, I know that. Biggest thing at this point is finances. I have a family so can't exactly up and quit without something else. What have other people gone to after leaving law enforcement? My degree is in criminal justice, so that is no help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also I've never been interested in going into CID so trying that out is out of the question.

And just FYI. even though I feel like this I still go to work giving it my 100% so I don't screw over the other guys working the road. I've still got everyone's back out there.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    So I've been working here on the road for a few years now (Won't get into how long, District, or Squad) but I've been on the road and have FTO experience. Honestly, I don't know how much longer I can work at this agency or even do this job anymore. I used to love going to work, but now I dread every second of it and just count down the minutes until I'm X7. This job isn't worth my life if my heart isn't in it, I know that. Biggest thing at this point is finances. I have a family so can't exactly up and quit without something else. What have other people gone to after leaving law enforcement? My degree is in criminal justice, so that is no help. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also I've never been interested in going into CID so trying that out is out of the question.

And just FYI. even though I feel like this I still go to work giving it my 100% so I don't screw over the other guys working the road. I've still got everyone's back out there.
    The good jobs in the world are few and far between. Consider all your positives and your family. Go price insurance policies and dental procedures. God forbid one of you has a major illness like cancer or heart disease without insurance. If you think management sucks within you aint seen nothin like the private sector. Lets be serious and analyze what you do on the road and note you dont want to do CID work.Like sales? Try and hook up with a good company and get an agency but that aont no piece of cake either. Teaching? Training? Look at them. Suck it up and analyze your pension when you go. Count those duckets. There are many things in copdom that are taken for granted. Take paying for gassing up your car and fighting traffic with the sheeple. Wanna do that? Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

Unregistered
    Its a hectic life out there and its sounds like your burnout. Although Its very demanding and stressful, try and keep a positive attitude and take a vacation if you can. I try to excercise when I can to relieve stress. We all need a break sometimes, you're not alone. Varying assignments can also be helpful. A change in assignments would create new experiences and challenges. Theres other job positions out there that you may like other than CID like SRO or Bailiff. However, If you don't want to be in this field anymore I get it. Any degree is good. Theres other jobs you could get that would have good benefits and pay. I dont know what other jobs you might like, but there are other county or federal jobs you could get fairly quickly like the post office or school system. I dont know if this helps or not. Either way, good luck, and be safe.

Unregistered
    USAA Claims Rep...right there off of 75 and 581/Bruce B Downs...excellent benefits package and paid training...great company to work for!

Unregistered
    USAA Claims Rep...right there off of 75 and 581/Bruce B Downs...excellent benefits package and paid training...great company to work for!
    Whats the turnover rate? And youre at a desk inside 8- 4 or 5 and if they find out you were a cop then someone will have it in for you. USAA is an extremely good company and by design deals with the best people not the type of idiots you meet on the road. Dont like CID work? Best really analyze the claims procedure and see if you like it and what claims youll be involved in. New people start at the bottom of the ladder and insurance claims is a very very complicated business.

Unregistered
    Whats the turnover rate? And youre at a desk inside 8- 4 or 5 and if they find out you were a cop then someone will have it in for you. USAA is an extremely good company and by design deals with the best people not the type of idiots you meet on the road. Dont like CID work? Best really analyze the claims procedure and see if you like it and what claims youll be involved in. New people start at the bottom of the ladder and insurance claims is a very very complicated business.
    There is no problem with coming over from LE to USAA, we serve the military community and their families only. We have a lot of vets and prior public safety personnel working here. Further, the 620 adjusters license training is not that difficult and the company pays for both the license and the training to get it. USAA trains you very well to do the job. So far as turnover goes, it is like this; the people that think they are going to be paid to sit around on their hands and do nothing do not get to stay, but if you show up and do your job you will be just fine. We all appreciate this type of a team environment to serve our members and get the job the done, plus the day goes by faster that way!

Unregistered
    There is no problem with coming over from LE to USAA, we serve the military community and their families only. We have a lot of vets and prior public safety personnel working here. Further, the 620 adjusters license training is not that difficult and the company pays for both the license and the training to get it. USAA trains you very well to do the job. So far as turnover goes, it is like this; the people that think they are going to be paid to sit around on their hands and do nothing do not get to stay, but if you show up and do your job you will be just fine. We all appreciate this type of a team environment to serve our members and get the job the done, plus the day goes by faster that way!
    What claims does the license cover/adjust? Where do the new employees start? Do they have an option to pursue whatever area of claims they want and if so when does that start. What is the check authority of new employees and what types of claims does that authority cover? Is all training and continuing education, I assume there are continuing education requirements, on company time or after hours? How does the procedure of who doesnt get to stay start? Does an employee have any protection whatsoever? Out of the employees that dont get to stay what caused their termination? How is one evaluated? Based on what? Production? Claims closed or saving the company money?

Unregistered
    What claims does the license cover/adjust? Where do the new employees start? Do they have an option to pursue whatever area of claims they want and if so when does that start. What is the check authority of new employees and what types of claims does that authority cover? Is all training and continuing education, I assume there are continuing education requirements, on company time or after hours? How does the procedure of who doesnt get to stay start? Does an employee have any protection whatsoever? Out of the employees that dont get to stay what caused their termination? How is one evaluated? Based on what? Production? Claims closed or saving the company money?
    The 620 is an 'all lines' adjuster license, meaning the licensee is authorized to adjust and settle all types of claims (e.g. home, auto, etc.); however, new employees typically start with a very low authorization level (<$5k) and are closely supervised as they take statements from insureds' and claimants' and coordinate rental vehicle authorizations, assign liability (Florida is a comparative negligence State) and work to settle the claim. The 6-20 license has 24 hours of CE (5 law/ethics and 19 elective topic hours) and it is provided by the company.

Regarding employment protection and termination...if you show up and work, you have nothing to worry about. You can pretty much tell who is not going to last from day one, they are the folks who never intended on putting forth any effort or learning the job in the first place. The type that show up three hours late or not at all and then come in two days later like everything is fine and have to leave early because they have a child care issue again. Those folks are not kept around as the expectation here is understood and set early. Our entire history and corporate culture is grounded upon personal responsibility and the service of those who serve. We are entirely led by retired General Officers. USAA was founded to insured commissioned Officers, so it stands to reason that the majority of our stakeholders are of that ilk.

You are evaluated based upon known, published standards of performance. There is no hidden agenda or dollar amount. You are expected to treat everyone with respect and to be professional. There is no expectation of being perfect, but you are expected to grow professionally in your competence and ability to mentor those that come after you.

Unregistered
    The 620 is an 'all lines' adjuster license, meaning the licensee is authorized to adjust and settle all types of claims (e.g. home, auto, etc.); however, new employees typically start with a very low authorization level (<$5k) and are closely supervised as they take statements from insureds' and claimants' and coordinate rental vehicle authorizations, assign liability (Florida is a comparative negligence State) and work to settle the claim. The 6-20 license has 24 hours of CE (5 law/ethics and 19 elective topic hours) and it is provided by the company.

Regarding employment protection and termination...if you show up and work, you have nothing to worry about. You can pretty much tell who is not going to last from day one, they are the folks who never intended on putting forth any effort or learning the job in the first place. The type that show up three hours late or not at all and then come in two days later like everything is fine and have to leave early because they have a child care issue again. Those folks are not kept around as the expectation here is understood and set early. Our entire history and corporate culture is grounded upon personal responsibility and the service of those who serve. We are entirely led by retired General Officers. USAA was founded to insured commissioned Officers, so it stands to reason that the majority of our stakeholders are of that ilk.

You are evaluated based upon known, published standards of performance. There is no hidden agenda or dollar amount. You are expected to treat everyone with respect and to be professional. There is no expectation of being perfect, but you are expected to grow professionally in your competence and ability to mentor those that come after you.
    Whats your average claims load per line of business per month? Auto. BI. Homeowner? Do you have an SIU? Is it staffed by insurance people or ex law enforcement? What is the parameter for referral and who makes the referral decision? Whats your percentage of denials and suits? You said new employees start low. What is the determining factor or who decides when they move up and to where? Are job openings posted? Understand where youre coming from but best beware statements like this one "The type that show up three hours late or not at all and then come in two days later like everything is fine and have to leave early because they have a child care issue again. Those last six words can cause you some issues.

In all fairness to you USAA is most likely the cream of the insurance crop and by design wants to insure the best people.

Unregistered
    Whats your average claims load per line of business per month? Auto. BI. Homeowner? Do you have an SIU? Is it staffed by insurance people or ex law enforcement? What is the parameter for referral and who makes the referral decision? Whats your percentage of denials and suits? You said new employees start low. What is the determining factor or who decides when they move up and to where? Are job openings posted? Understand where youre coming from but best beware statements like this one "The type that show up three hours late or not at all and then come in two days later like everything is fine and have to leave early because they have a child care issue again. Those last six words can cause you some issues.

In all fairness to you USAA is most likely the cream of the insurance crop and by design wants to insure the best people.
    First off, I was trying to help as a former fellow LEO to give some basic info on the Claims job and you are being a friggin jackass. I am free to opine on what I see as laziness, corrective action and I did. Further, I do not think you are the OP because you seem to have a more in depth knowledge of insurance by the types of questions you ask.

You are probably one of those 'lawyers' that surfs this website...and one that reps PIP/BI clients in the hopes of making a payday from a LIST Claim or one of those lazy POS employees that got fired for not showing up, nor doing anything when they did...good luck with that my litigious friend...

In case you missed it, Florida is a Right to Work State and we are all, for the most part, at-will employees who rely on honest effort for honest pay. Few reputable companies can afford to hire, train and fire performing personnel for the hell of it and most do not.

I am not going to answer any more of your questions...you will have to pay someone to provide that info to you; I know, it sucks, right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast