It's about time

Thread: It's about time

Unregistered

It's about time

Just a note for everyone to think about concerning our relationship with the Sheriff's office. What once was a great relationship between our department and theirs was soured quickly due to the inept former chief trying to tell the sheriff how things should be done. A rocket scientist he was not, and anyone that spoke to him knew he had no idea what it was like being a cop. He fast tracked his way to the top due to his abilities to work computers and suck up to the previous chief, whose ego led him to name his successor. That proved to be the downfall to the reputation and morale of this department for years. Experienced officers left in droves. City Hall turned a blind eye to everything that was occurring and even gave him 1 more year to continue with his harassment of employees. We now have come to a point where a new face will be taking over. I'm sure Sheriff Knight will look at this move as a positive influx to getting back what Vespia took away from the citizens of North Port and my fellow officers, a working relationship between the 2 Agencies. Everyone I talk to describes Chief Garrison as a cop's cop. We haven't had that kind of leadership here in a decade. Maybe this will stop the exodus of good people from this department. For those of you that only read what it was like to work here, you have no idea what it was like coming to work every day. I'm looking forward to the time when each officer WANTS to walk into that building instead of doing everything they can to avoid being anywhere near it. I'm looking forward to a time when each officer knows they have someone in that corner office that has their backs instead of sticking a knife in them. I'm looking forward to Chief Garrison!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just a note for everyone to think about concerning our relationship with the Sheriff's office. What once was a great relationship between our department and theirs was soured quickly due to the inept former chief trying to tell the sheriff how things should be done. A rocket scientist he was not, and anyone that spoke to him knew he had no idea what it was like being a cop. He fast tracked his way to the top due to his abilities to work computers and suck up to the previous chief, whose ego led him to name his successor. That proved to be the downfall to the reputation and morale of this department for years. Experienced officers left in droves. City Hall turned a blind eye to everything that was occurring and even gave him 1 more year to continue with his harassment of employees. We now have come to a point where a new face will be taking over. I'm sure Sheriff Knight will look at this move as a positive influx to getting back what Vespia took away from the citizens of North Port and my fellow officers, a working relationship between the 2 Agencies. Everyone I talk to describes Chief Garrison as a cop's cop. We haven't had that kind of leadership here in a decade. Maybe this will stop the exodus of good people from this department. For those of you that only read what it was like to work here, you have no idea what it was like coming to work every day. I'm looking forward to the time when each officer WANTS to walk into that building instead of doing everything they can to avoid being anywhere near it. I'm looking forward to a time when each officer knows they have someone in that corner office that has their backs instead of sticking a knife in them. I'm looking forward to Chief Garrison!
    I believe Chief Garrison will do us a good job. We've got to allow him time to get his bearings and see everything and everyone for who and what they are. He can't walked in here and instantly know everything. I do believe, however, that he'll be able to hit the floor running.

Unregistered

Takes time

I believe Chief Garrison will do us a good job. We've got to allow him time to get his bearings and see everything and everyone for who and what they are. He can't walked in here and instantly know everything. I do believe, however, that he'll be able to hit the floor running.
    From what I have read of your new chief, he is a very seasoned and capable of doing great things for the department. As someone who was brought in to a new department in a command position I know it is challenging not to let existing command staff help develop your impression on current employees. Coming in the new chief will hear about good staff and those who are not basically doing the right things. In law enforcement as supervisors or command staff we have a tendency to place staff in categories and when new people come in these categories are passed on, so predetermined impressions are already made. I hope the new chief doesn't fail prey to these predetermined perceptions, because although some of the impressions are correct, some could be the command staff that has caused the officer to be viewed in a negative light. Hopefully the chief will come in opened minded and listen but also gather his own perception of the men and women under his command.

Wishing the new chief success.

Unregistered
    From what I have read of your new chief, he is a very seasoned and capable of doing great things for the department. As someone who was brought in to a new department in a command position I know it is challenging not to let existing command staff help develop your impression on current employees. Coming in the new chief will hear about good staff and those who are not basically doing the right things. In law enforcement as supervisors or command staff we have a tendency to place staff in categories and when new people come in these categories are passed on, so predetermined impressions are already made. I hope the new chief doesn't fail prey to these predetermined perceptions, because although some of the impressions are correct, some could be the command staff that has caused the officer to be viewed in a negative light. Hopefully the chief will come in opened minded and listen but also gather his own perception of the men and women under his command.

Wishing the new chief success.
    I've known of Garrison for some time. I truly believe that he'll do a good job. From what I've seen and heard, he makes his own decisions. He's not one to jump on somebody's bandwagon. If he's putting his name on it, whether it be a purchase, or a decision, it will be based on accurate information, his own decision. Again, from what I know, he's not one to go around pounding on his chest to make himself be known. A lion does not have to tell you he's a lion.