Chief Garisson on ARV and BWCs - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    For the love of God. Please just educate yourself already. No, we don't get a refund from the Sheriff. The City of North Port does not contract with the Sheriff for law enforcement services. Lets head north a bit to counties in which agencies do contract with a Sheriff. Manatee and Pinellas (Pinellas contracts with more than a dozen cities to provide services to cities). That is cities that already paid taxes to the county before they got rid of their police departments. Even when they had their own agencies the Sheriff would help (as our does) when asked IF available. Broward County, same thing as Pinellas. At the end of the day it does suck we live in a society that we need and should have one of these types of vehicles. They save lives and that is a fact. How much money are you willing to put on someones life? Do you want to potentially tell someone their son, daughter, mother, father, etc died and it could have been prevented?

QUOTE=Stephanie Gibson;2919350]
    "This is a growing city that must meet the challenges of day to day law enforcement and protect its citizens and people."

For me this is about the priority of this ARV over the known #NEED of the BWCs. If we analyzed the empirical data on how to best serve and protect, we would be balls to the wall to get the BWCs implemented from a physical and financial protection POV.

One issue not considered about dreaming up the new design that it is being engineered for the very first Bearcat rolling off Lanco for NPPD with the "water wing" apparatus.. is what sounds awesome and cool (NPPD vehicle will be on display in Orlando to promote the new design.. blah blah..) is the first is rarely the last version. So we will be finding all the issues that they can build upon in the next reiterations.

Miami FD, on of the Top 10 FD in the nation, will be getting one as well and will be the second off the assembly line after NPPD I pulled the FD annual budget (FY 14 121 million).. nearly 10 times 4 years ago than the 16 million PD budget. Why would NPPD and her taxpayers pay the price to develop a new product line (enhancement) for Lanco??

All that said, its pissing in the wind at this point to fight back. Here is hoping they negotiated discounts for us being the guinea pigs in their Product Development process.

On a brighter note.. we are in the single digit days counting down to Leadership change.

Question: So if we are no longer leaning on the SSO for this equipment,will we be getting a refund from the Sherriff? Or does he keep the same dollars and reap the benefit of the NoPo taxpayer without the responsibility that goes with?
    [/QUOTE]
    We are getting taxed by the county and the city. Residents pay for two law enforcement agencies already. Look at your tax bill from the county. As far as us needing a swat team. I do not disagree HOWEVER we need to stabalize the low manpower issues as a priority before we spend half a million on a car that will sit in the PL most of the time. This is not a vehicle that needs to be in a parade it is a threatening looking military style combat machine. That is not what I want my kids to see the police as. This is North Port a small town. Hire good officers first then get the tank. Think about this. For a real swat team you need about 22 members. They need to be trained to be perfect. One wrong move and things can go really bad. Do we have enough officers for a team? Do we have enough swat officers for the perimeter? Do they all meet the physical standards? If we have a full swat team and they need to train two days a month can we afford to loose 22 officers at one time from their regular duties? The answer is no. You can not have six people and call it a swat team you are going to get an officer injured or killed. Who will go tell the officer's family he was killed because WE NEEDED A SWAT TEAM? End of story, we are not ready!!!!!

Unregistered
    Did you just pull a number out of thin air? How in the world did you come to the conclusion you need 22 officers for a swat team?

We are getting taxed by the county and the city. Residents pay for two law enforcement agencies already. Look at your tax bill from the county. As far as us needing a swat team. I do not disagree HOWEVER we need to stabalize the low manpower issues as a priority before we spend half a million on a car that will sit in the PL most of the time. This is not a vehicle that needs to be in a parade it is a threatening looking military style combat machine. That is not what I want my kids to see the police as. This is North Port a small town. Hire good officers first then get the tank. Think about this. For a real swat team you need about 22 members. They need to be trained to be perfect. One wrong move and things can go really bad. Do we have enough officers for a team? Do we have enough swat officers for the perimeter? Do they all meet the physical standards? If we have a full swat team and they need to train two days a month can we afford to loose 22 officers at one time from their regular duties? The answer is no. You can not have six people and call it a swat team you are going to get an officer injured or killed. Who will go tell the officer's family he was killed because WE NEEDED A SWAT TEAM? End of story, we are not ready!!!!![/QUOTE]

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Did you just pull a number out of thin air? How in the world did you come to the conclusion you need 22 officers for a swat team?

We are getting taxed by the county and the city. Residents pay for two law enforcement agencies already. Look at your tax bill from the county. As far as us needing a swat team. I do not disagree HOWEVER we need to stabalize the low manpower issues as a priority before we spend half a million on a car that will sit in the PL most of the time. This is not a vehicle that needs to be in a parade it is a threatening looking military style combat machine. That is not what I want my kids to see the police as. This is North Port a small town. Hire good officers first then get the tank. Think about this. For a real swat team you need about 22 members. They need to be trained to be perfect. One wrong move and things can go really bad. Do we have enough officers for a team? Do we have enough swat officers for the perimeter? Do they all meet the physical standards? If we have a full swat team and they need to train two days a month can we afford to loose 22 officers at one time from their regular duties? The answer is no. You can not have six people and call it a swat team you are going to get an officer injured or killed. Who will go tell the officer's family he was killed because WE NEEDED A SWAT TEAM? End of story, we are not ready!!!!!
    [/QUOTE] NPPD tactical plan is simple, respond. take up cover and wait, they do not make forced entries etc. The bearcat is mute, its a done deal, like it or not our commissioners bought the ,its an officer safety thing, hook, line and sinker. Maybe, might be a little truth In that except for the fact that most police involved shootings take place in minutes and most certainly the bearcat will be still sitting in the lot rusting, if something like this was to happen. It was all a scare tactic sell, , no one wants anyone hurt or injured but please do not think everyone is buying your scare tactics and if's, an as a note it was mentioned the bearcat is not a tank, the definition of a tank is a armored tracked or wheeled vehicle with gun ports and a gun turrent, wait, isn't this what the bearcat is of course minus the missile launcher or heavy gun, but will be manned with a automatic weapon. Its a military vehicle in every sense of the word. Is it true the body cams program has been delayed until 2020, this certainly speaks volumes as to what the priorities are, a tank over bodycams, let us forget the brutality lawsuits and allegations that might have prevented or further documented allegations, but as related in earlier posts, NPPD, despite what it preaches does not want these cameras, they have been researching this what three years now, and yet nothing, Garrison is not going to be the savior here, he will go with the flow until such time CM wants to become Chief, that is the reason he was picked over much more qualified applicants.
    . hook line and sinker per se,

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain
    Quote~~~
    For the love of God. Please just educate yourself already. No, we don't get a refund from the Sheriff. The City of North Port does not contract with the Sheriff for law enforcement services. Lets head north a bit to counties in which agencies do contract with a Sheriff. Manatee and Pinellas (Pinellas contracts with more than a dozen cities to provide services to cities). That is cities that already paid taxes to the county before they got rid of their police departments. Even when they had their own agencies the Sheriff would help (as our does) when asked IF available. Broward County, same thing as Pinellas. At the end of the day it does suck we live in a society that we need and should have one of these types of vehicles. They save lives and that is a fact. How much money are you willing to put on someones life? Do you want to potentially tell someone their son, daughter, mother, father, etc died and it could have been prevented?
    ~~~End Quote

For the love of God... I was asking a question so that I could inform myself. So shut up and ready that I was asking a reasonable question that didnt deserve the attitude. Christ yall really excel in that Community Policing thang boyz... and you to VC.

Does a 150K Bearcat armor have less protective properties or would it have addressed the officer safety concern a well as the 300K one? As for the High Water Rescue, that dog dont hunt for me. Many cheaper ways to mitigate at much lower costs.. ie Airboats, swamp buggies, canoes, US Surplus vehicles.. Those are reasonable alternatives to the problem the IChief is trying to resolve. Why does that mean I am somehow unsupportive of officer safety. That is emotional overreach and hog wash.

How much money am I willing to put on someone's life? Enough that I will continue to fight for the needed changes that will potentially save MY SON's life.. part of that includes enhanced officer training and BWCs that will encourage better behavior by all. Joe's life is every bit as valuable as anyone else's and I have every damn right to add all voices to the Priority discussion. In this town 's history the hard data shows it aint the cops that are at the highest risk... try being homeless, mentally ill or suicidal in this City over the past half dozen years..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123