How is the FHPA these days?

Unregistered

How is the FHPA these days?

I'm currently not certified and actually an intelligence analyst for a smaller agency but have always had a desire to be out on the road helping sworn officers and doing more hands on work. In the past I heard that the FHP wasn't quite the most amazing place to work but have things changed? Is the axillary a worthwhile use of my time to keep troopers safer while they're out on the road? Does it still suck?

Unregistered
    FHPA it is a great organization. We go out on the road and help out our full time troopers with traffic crashes and all sort of calls. We back them up all them time. Now days is always better to have an extra set of eyes looking out for you.
    you will have to apply at our web site www.fhpa.info . Hiring process is the same as if you were a full time trooper. since you are not a certified LEO, you will have do the academy.

a-man then i wised up
    fhpa is not a bad organization and taught me a lot but when i left, i realized how dysfunctional an organization FHP and FHPA are. Go find a full service law enforcement agency and do something more than chase crashes. every sheriff's office has an auxiliary/reserve program, fwc has reserves, and even some police departments as well

Unregistered
    It's a good idea that is treated like a joke. You have to process like a full-time trooper, and then attend a LONG part-time academy that allows you to carry a gun and do nothing. If you come already sworn (retired or former LE), you still have to go through the same hoops to be treated like trash. It's not worth the headaches. Too many other agencies that have reserve or aux. programs that treat you like an adult.

Unregistered

FHPA Is Virtually Non-Existent! Either Disband the Auxiliary or Make Them Accountable

Along with the regular patrol, the FHPA is a shell of its former self. Many of the real auxiliary troopers have either left or just do the minimum in order to remain there. We now see FHPA captains and majors who supervise no one and have no leadership skills and who were only promoted to their inflated ranks based on who they know or how many bathrooms they cleaned at a troop headquarters. They have no respect from the personnel they allegedly supervise and are a sorry sight when viewed by the general public. Its time to disband the auxiliary or make them accountable and relevant.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Along with the regular patrol, the FHPA is a shell of its former self. Many of the real auxiliary troopers have either left or just do the minimum in order to remain there. We now see FHPA captains and majors who supervise no one and have no leadership skills and who were only promoted to their inflated ranks based on who they know or how many bathrooms they cleaned at a troop headquarters. They have no respect from the personnel they allegedly supervise and are a sorry sight when viewed by the general public. Its time to disband the auxiliary or make them accountable and relevant.
    The ranks are handed out like candy. Troop commanders are voted on by the troop then approved by the full-time side. Total joke..

Unregistered
    FHPA is a disgrace that is dying due to poor management. Making certified folks go through all the BS that a boot has to go through to get into the academy is a shame. FHPA will die with this kind of mentality. There's quite a few "old-timers" in the state that are certified and just want to be a weekend warrior. Oh well, I'll just go reserve at an SO and save myself a bottle of Advil and Gin.

Unregistered
    FHPA is a dying organization that if not allowed to evolve will be history within ten years. Look at the current membership and you will notice an aging group of members that are not being replaced fast enough. The new generation does not look kindly upon police and those that do want to do this want to get paid. The uniform is dated and needs to be changed to the same as the full timers. Auxiliaries are allowed by State Statute to get paid and that is what should happen. Finally, FHP should push FDLE for a transitional course for auxiliaries to become fully certified that way those that want to can get their full certification. In other words, it can't be all about getting free labor out of people without providing some form of benefit.

Unregistered
    I saw an article in my local paper today about the auxiliary. They get take home vehicles?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I saw an article in my local paper today about the auxiliary. They get take home vehicles?
    No they don't. But...… There are a couple retired guys that are hanging out almost full-time that District commanders allow to take home spares.