Commander position - Page 5
Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Has anyone asked the new chief what is plans are?

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Say Wut?

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    ...Ever since Kevin created commander and started filling them externally, it has been a mess. All but what, one, has come and gone?
    Since you brought it up Sir..

Your remark.. ‘ever since kevin created Commander and started filling them externally..’ is an open door for us to have a look back. Those changes were a direct result of the recommendations made by CPSM findings, the taxpayer paid independent review.

cough*bullshit*cough

that was done in direct political response to the actions of adouble handful of men who clearly needed to revisit the officer code of conductand the US Constitution. At best,discipline was sorely missing.

The highlights of the behaviors in 2013 – 2014: thumping the mentally ill, the bloody Bush cases, the pass around a female police explorer over 3 or 4 officers.. the innocent kissing by married officer., one was so gentlemanly that he waited til she graduated high schoolbefore having her on the hood of his car while in uniform and on duty, severaldomestic violence by officers, one goingout of City to get laid, wrecking his squad car, rumored steroid ragers, thenwe all know the tragedy of the Estates ‘team building’ party that landed two officersin jail and worse. How the hell doesthat level misbehavior go on so long without notice or correction? Incompetent and Arrogant leadership.

So the Commission hired a consultant to come review the organizationstructure.. then the negotiation began the opportunity for City Manager Lewisand vespia to bust the LT union and blame the sacrificed Lieutenantposition. The men in those positionswere fish in a barrel. The good LIEutenantwas the first winner to become a Commander. This in spite of his Lying PIP and lies to me. They insinuate blame of the chaos was fixed by wiping out the LT class. The single majorrecommendation that came out of the CPSM study was to hire Steve Uebelacker tobring discipline to the organization. Commander Brown from the SSO, Commander Rose from FDLE and Asst Pelfreywere brought in. SO they didnt create the mess you describe..

That very same fall is when I met with the Command team and promised all kinds of thing from vespia and Morales. BWCs and more CIT were promised.

Last edited by Stephanie Gibson; 07-21-2018 at 09:38 PM. Reason: if only i could type...

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    Since you brought it up Sir..

Your remark.. ‘ever since kevin created Commander and started filling them externally..’ is an open door for us to have a look back. Those changes were a direct result of the recommendations made by CPSM findings, the taxpayer paid independent review.

cough*bullshit*cough

that was done in direct political response to the actions of adouble handful of men who clearly needed to revisit the officer code of conductand the US Constitution. At best,discipline was sorely missing.

The highlights of the behaviors in 2013 – 2014: thumping the mentally ill, the bloody Bush cases, the pass around a female police explorer over 3 or 4 officers.. the innocent kissing by married officer., one was so gentlemanly that he waited til she graduated high schoolbefore having her on the hood of his car while in uniform and on duty, severaldomestic violence by officers, one goingout of City to get laid, wrecking his squad car, rumored steroid ragers, thenwe all know the tragedy of the Estates ‘team building’ party that landed two officersin jail and worse. How the hell doesthat level misbehavior go on so long without notice or correction? Incompetent and Arrogant leadership.

So the Commission hired a consultant to come review the organizationstructure.. then the negotiation began the opportunity for City Manager Lewisand vespia to bust the LT union and blame the sacrificed Lieutenantposition. The men in those positionswere fish in a barrel. The good LIEutenantwas the first winner to become a Commander. This in spite of his Lying PIP and lies to me. They insinuate blame of the chaos was fixed by wiping out the LT class. The single majorrecommendation that came out of the CPSM study was to hire Steve Uebelacker tobring discipline to the organization. Commander Brown from the SSO, Commander Rose from FDLE and Asst Pelfreywere brought in. SO they didnt create the mess you describe..

That very same fall is when I met with the Command team and promised all kinds of thing from vespia and Morales. BWCs and more CIT were promised.

Stephanie, you need to think “big picture” here. BWC’s are a waste of money at this point in North Port. We have very few complaints, including excessive use of force complaints. Be careful what you ask for, body cams will cause more problems here than solve them. And as far as CIT goes, sure... it’s valiable training. But, society needs to stop relying on LE to fix the mental illness problem. It will never happen, nor is it our job. I understand you had a bad experience involving your mentally ill son and the police, but the fact is we, and police all over the country, flawlessly deal with mentally Ill subjects day in and day out. You only hear about the 1 percent of the time when it goes bad... after police were called.... to handle a problem that’s not really theirs to handle. It’s a tricky situation. Think beyond just your own personal experiences and maybe you can have more of a positive impact.

Unregistered

Body cams

Stephanie, you need to think “big picture” here. BWC’s are a waste of money at this point in North Port. We have very few complaints, including excessive use of force complaints. Be careful what you ask for, body cams will cause more problems here than solve them. And as far as CIT goes, sure... it’s valiable training. But, society needs to stop relying on LE to fix the mental illness problem. It will never happen, nor is it our job. I understand you had a bad experience involving your mentally ill son and the police, but the fact is we, and police all over the country, flawlessly deal with mentally Ill subjects day in and day out. You only hear about the 1 percent of the time when it goes bad... after police were called.... to handle a problem that’s not really theirs to handle. It’s a tricky situation. Think beyond just your own personal experiences and maybe you can have more of a positive impact.
    Although I can appreciate your assessment of body cams causing more problems than they are worth, I currently work for an agency that is brought in to investigate corruption and officer misconduct. I have to say that the body cam footage has saved more officers from false allegations than it has been used to prove the abuse of power or misconduct. I am not saying that some officers are not caught on camera doing things the are a violation, because it happens. But the majority of the footage clears officers who without the footage would be under more scrutiny.

Unregistered
    Very few complaints, are you for real. Look at the dash cam videos, k9 and the drunk perp, long and Lyons tuning up the old guy, if anyplace need them its NPPD. This has been an ongoing saga and needs to stop. The warrior brutality demeanor is archaic and needs to be discontinued. This body cam idea has been floating around for some three years, and the excuses from Morales and crew are, we are not set up for them and we need more direction before we implement, this is BS. Every patrol car has state of the art digital recording devices, up to date, all this is stored at HQ, coincidently NPPD has some of the best IT techs out there. So the storage excuse is mute, they can use the vehicle camera systems storage. Most of your city PDs have cameras, I am sure they implemented rules and procedures, so just copy there's, seem pretty simple. KV and crew have been resistant from the start, no one wants full accountability, it is safer with no body cams because now its there word against ours, no video evidence. If there was Body cam footage of Stephs incident or of the Smille shooting, well there might have been more accountability, but there was not, so it is as we say it is, like it or not. The officer safety bs being spewed about the bearcat is garbage. Shooting over in the grid last week, perp had semi auto pistol and semi auto intertec machine gun like pistol. no bearcat, handled by patrol, everything has its place and priorities, the body cams should have been first in that they do provide a level of officer safety in that they record every contact and interaction and if it goes bad its recorded. The bearcat will be used by a select few, in limited engagement and will not offer any level of safety to the street officer, in that street interactions pop off immediately and are over in seconds. As far as crisis intervention, its your job, like it or not. You are the first one on the scene, is it not better to be trained than to try and stumble thru it. Remember if you are trained, that is documented and if things go bad, it along with body cams will CYA. The future is here, like it or not.

I agree BWC do introduce very problematic issues, to what degree depends on the laws and the local policies. I have been doing my homework. Id love to find better answers but reality is their are no clear paths. so we gotta find our own local solutions that works for our given local situation. I am very private by nature. There is noone that understands the cost to privacy of body cams.

Cops are only capturing the actions they are trained to do and that most do professionally everyday. Now, Try being on the other side of the camera. Do you not think the privacy I am advocating to be given up is lost on me.. Do you think I like your vehicle plate readers and face recognition software. Do you think when we have a family crisis that I want it captured on video? <shudder> I dont.

This department cannot deny that force has been as a sport for some and the accountability has been exactly nil. Even today, we are playing hide n seek with the problems. Promoting em and cloaking em in a glass closet.

While you can shrug off an overstep or dozen of individual constitutional rights, I can't and won't live with that. I want my trust restored in NPPD and public trust in general for police restored... but until we cull the repeat offenders and police hold your own accountable, well the trust will sadly remain broken.

In the meantime, lets protect the good cops from getting railroaded by some asshat making false claims and prosecute the blood thirsty and thumping varieties.. other things can be learned and taught from HQ.. but mostly erase the non event video as I am sure most of it will be.

So with all due respect to the "big picture" of reforming a chaotic mental health system and getting cops out of the loop.. Id love that as much as you. but my reality, and your reality, is cops are the first responder to those in a mental crisis.
    Last edited by Stephanie Gibson; 07-22-2018 at 02:41 AM.

Has anyone asked the new chief what is plans are?
    I have heard nothing but commitment to BWCs from Chief Garrison.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Gibson View Post
    I have heard nothing but commitment to BWCs from Chief Garrison.
    he states 2020 or 2021 really that's commitment ???????

Unregistered
    he states 2020 or 2021 really that's commitment ???????
    That's a bold face like. That is not what he said in public meetings.

Unregistered
    That's a bold face like. That is not what he said in public meetings.
    bold face LIKE ok if you say so, 2018 is almost gone, no money this year, so if they rush and can get the money them maybe 2019 but since no money is in the proposed budget then the earliest they can be even purchased, if budgeted, is 2020 or 2021, that's reality not a bold faced like !!!!!!! Money money money is what its all about, of course no LEO wants to be recorded, slip of the tongue, slap in the head, or just a little nip, its all about accountability, just imagine if KV implemented this three years ago what videos we would have, the audio training tape by C shown as to what not to do on a traffic stop, actual footage of the K9 mauls or the resisting arrests and of course the Smile fatal shooting and all the lawsuits. If this ever occurs and that's a big if, then 2020 or 2021, do not buy into what the new chief says, some people only tell you what you want to hear.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast