Glock 21 vs Glock 19 - hand size and grip control - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Unregistered
    Just say your asking for a friend. Hahaha

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why don’t you ask the Sheriff to change the policy so you can have a 9mm on duty via Ask the Executive Staff?
    Before you do it. make sure your resume is updated and have plenty of money in your rainy day savings account.

Unregistered
    When this thread started, I thought it was a joke. Apparently it is not. I can’t believe people are complaining about a free gun given to them.

Unregistered
    It's just a brand new guy with tiny hands, nothing to see here.

Unregistered
    When I started with the agency a few years back in the late 80s, the issue handgun was the S&W Model 64 .38 Special revolver. If the grip was too small or too big you could switch to whatever aftermarket grip fit your hands. Laugh all you want, but for practical purposes it was a modular handgun of sorts which could be customized to fit everyone's hands. The S&W 64 were great guns, reliable, easy to carry and shoot by everyone, didn't have to worry about tap & rack if you got a dud round, just keep pulling the trigger to go to the next round. They were stainless steel, easy to clean and resisted corrosion. The .38 Special 158 grain JHP +P was the issue round and had good stopping power. The S&W 64 was replaced by the Beretta 92 which felt like a brick in your hand, and was bigger/bulkier, with a heavier double action trigger. The current G21 is a definite improvement in ergonomics compared to the clunky 92. Both pistols have thick grips which make it hard for people with small hands to gain a good purchase.

While I am a bit nostalgic for the revolver days, I am not advocating a return to revolvers, rather that the next handgun the agency chooses should be modular with removable backstraps to help fit everyone's hands better. The US military has done this and for good reasons so it is a good idea which our agency should adopt.

Unregistered
    When I started with the agency a few years back in the late 80s, the issue handgun was the S&W Model 64 .38 Special revolver. If the grip was too small or too big you could switch to whatever aftermarket grip fit your hands. Laugh all you want, but for practical purposes it was a modular handgun of sorts which could be customized to fit everyone's hands. The S&W 64 were great guns, reliable, easy to carry and shoot by everyone, didn't have to worry about tap & rack if you got a dud round, just keep pulling the trigger to go to the next round. They were stainless steel, easy to clean and resisted corrosion. The .38 Special 158 grain JHP +P was the issue round and had good stopping power. The S&W 64 was replaced by the Beretta 92 which felt like a brick in your hand, and was bigger/bulkier, with a heavier double action trigger. The current G21 is a definite improvement in ergonomics compared to the clunky 92. Both pistols have thick grips which make it hard for people with small hands to gain a good purchase.

While I am a bit nostalgic for the revolver days, I am not advocating a return to revolvers, rather that the next handgun the agency chooses should be modular with removable backstraps to help fit everyone's hands better. The US military has done this and for good reasons so it is a good idea which our agency should adopt.
    Yes, and the Sig P320 is a cheap piece of shit. They made a mistake. Thank you Dinosaur.

Unregistered
    I'm surprised at all the heat being thrown around here. A deputy would like to carry a duty pistol which he/she is more proficient with, and you guys tear them apart. No one is trying to take your G21 away, if you like it great but those who don't should be able to carry a sidearm they are comfortable and proficient with. You think a G21 is the most practical choice for a 110lb female deputy? Do you think a petite female, or small framed male will be able to retain their weapon that doesn't properly fit their hands? How about carrying all that weight on their belt for 30 plus years, back problems anyone? I'm a pretty fit 200lbs, but after 20yrs of carrying a gun belt, my back could use a little reprieve, along with many other deputies as well. A fully loaded G21 weighs 38.48 oz, plus 2 additional loaded mags at 12 oz a piece equals a total weight of 62.48 ounces.

A loaded G19 weighs 29.98 oz, plus 2 loaded mags at 8.99 oz equals a total weight of 47.96 ounces. The G19 weighs almost a full pound less, a significant weight savings, and less wear and tear over a 30 year career. For those saying a G19 is too small for a duty pistol, the Marine's MARSOC and US Army Special Operations Command has chosen it as their issued pistol. https://www.military.com/kitup/2016/...s-raiders.html

I used to shoot my G21 regularly at my local range, until the agency stopped providing practice ammo. You used to be able to get a box of 45 every month or so, but no more. I know we have open ranges occasionally, but it's an hour from my house and the dates rarely fit my schedule. I shoot at least once a month at my local range, but I refuse to pay almost double the price for 45 ammo compared to 9mm. I bought 2 cases of 9mm this year for and I have 400 rounds left, which means I've shot 1600 rounds thru my 9mm, compared to the apprx 100 rounds I put thru my "primary" at in-service.

The best caliber/handgun argument will never be settled, but deputies willing to self purchase their own gun and holster should be given the choice to select a full size/compact from the approved list of handguns. 9mm is already an approved caliber, and deputies can carry it on duty as a secondary/backup weapon. If an agency is going to mandate a one size fits all handgun, I don't think choosing one at the very top of the size spectrum is a logical choice for 800 deputies.

Patrol's response has changed significantly over the last 20 years, from forming a perimeter and waiting for SWAT on active shooter calls, to forming a 3-5 man active shooter response team. We seem now to be pushing a solo deputy response to more and more situations. If you are expecting a deputy to address an active shooter by themselves, then I think they should be given a choice of a duty weapon they are most proficient with.

I've carried the G21 without complaint, but the OP's statement has merit and he they didn't deserve to trashed. So he has small hands, I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here who wished God gave them a little more size somewhere.

Bash away..........

Unregistered
    I'm surprised at all the heat being thrown around here. A deputy would like to carry a duty pistol which he/she is more proficient with, and you guys tear them apart. No one is trying to take your G21 away, if you like it great but those who don't should be able to carry a sidearm they are comfortable and proficient with. You think a G21 is the most practical choice for a 110lb female deputy? Do you think a petite female, or small framed male will be able to retain their weapon that doesn't properly fit their hands? How about carrying all that weight on their belt for 30 plus years, back problems anyone? I'm a pretty fit 200lbs, but after 20yrs of carrying a gun belt, my back could use a little reprieve, along with many other deputies as well. A fully loaded G21 weighs 38.48 oz, plus 2 additional loaded mags at 12 oz a piece equals a total weight of 62.48 ounces.

A loaded G19 weighs 29.98 oz, plus 2 loaded mags at 8.99 oz equals a total weight of 47.96 ounces. The G19 weighs almost a full pound less, a significant weight savings, and less wear and tear over a 30 year career. For those saying a G19 is too small for a duty pistol, the Marine's MARSOC and US Army Special Operations Command has chosen it as their issued pistol. https://www.military.com/kitup/2016/...s-raiders.html

I used to shoot my G21 regularly at my local range, until the agency stopped providing practice ammo. You used to be able to get a box of 45 every month or so, but no more. I know we have open ranges occasionally, but it's an hour from my house and the dates rarely fit my schedule. I shoot at least once a month at my local range, but I refuse to pay almost double the price for 45 ammo compared to 9mm. I bought 2 cases of 9mm this year for and I have 400 rounds left, which means I've shot 1600 rounds thru my 9mm, compared to the apprx 100 rounds I put thru my "primary" at in-service.

The best caliber/handgun argument will never be settled, but deputies willing to self purchase their own gun and holster should be given the choice to select a full size/compact from the approved list of handguns. 9mm is already an approved caliber, and deputies can carry it on duty as a secondary/backup weapon. If an agency is going to mandate a one size fits all handgun, I don't think choosing one at the very top of the size spectrum is a logical choice for 800 deputies.

Patrol's response has changed significantly over the last 20 years, from forming a perimeter and waiting for SWAT on active shooter calls, to forming a 3-5 man active shooter response team. We seem now to be pushing a solo deputy response to more and more situations. If you are expecting a deputy to address an active shooter by themselves, then I think they should be given a choice of a duty weapon they are most proficient with.

I've carried the G21 without complaint, but the OP's statement has merit and he they didn't deserve to trashed. So he has small hands, I'm sure there are plenty of folks on here who wished God gave them a little more size somewhere.

Bash away..........
    Yours was the most intelligent and mature reply so far. Thanks!

Unregistered
    If you are expecting a deputy to address an active shooter by themselves, then I think they should be given a choice of a duty weapon they are most proficient with.
    If you are thinking of addressing the active shooter problem with your handgun.... well then you sir, are the problem.

Unregistered
    My hands are below average size for a male, newbie in patrol. My question is, do we have the option to carry the Glock 19 which is a smaller pistol and fits my small hands, have better control, etc. It is a serious safety concern to me because the Clock 21 grip feels too big and not as ergonomic as the Glock 19's grip. Also the Glock 21's .45 ACP kicks a lot more than the 9 mm so I feel I am better able to hit my target with the Glock 19. Has there been any discussion to switch the whole agency to the Glock 19 to accommodate women and males with small hands? I heard that the US Navy Seals or Rangers operators switched to the Glock 19 so has our SWAT switched as well and if so can they put in a good word in to help us out?
    What kind of millennial PU$$IES are you guys hiring now? WTF happened to PCSO? You guys and girls used to be the shizzat! I always looked up to you from a smaller agency, but this is embarrassing. It’s really sad to see how far you have fallen. Glock 21 kicks to bad??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast