Equipment

Thread: Equipment

Unregistered

Equipment

I noticed while looking into the TPD as a possible lateral that the patrol cars used by the dept are very old, and in poor condition. After speaking with a patrol officer I was also advised that patrol rifles are very hard to come by. Is there any progression within the department for deploying better equipment, or no hope in sight for same? Thank you.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I noticed while looking into the TPD as a possible lateral that the patrol cars used by the dept are very old, and in poor condition. After speaking with a patrol officer I was also advised that patrol rifles are very hard to come by. Is there any progression within the department for deploying better equipment, or no hope in sight for same? Thank you.
    No. The rifles are not hard to come by because you buy them yourself. Rifles are not issued here. Also consider the fact that you will receive no training other than in-service training each year. We have officers being denied for 100% FREE trust funded classes, you know, the ones where lodging and meals are provided in Tallahassee? Our command staff feels these classes aren’t actually free since you are being paid to go and that, in their opinion, negates the free tuition, room and board. That is for free classes, so imagine what happens when out of County travel (per-diem, hotel) are involved. It wasn’t always this bad and things are cyclical and may one day get better, but chances of that look pretty slim.

Unregistered
    Ya while the above post is spot on, we do get paid very well and there’s plenty of off duty work available. It sucks to say this, but My advice would be to get squared away with training before you come here (get prior experience) then come on down to work here.

As for vehicles it seems to be getting a little bit better but ya don’t expect to get a new vehicle every other year like Pasco or other agencies

Unregistered
    All the money you will be making, you can easily buy any rifle that you want. Hell, if you ask nicely, the department might even let you buy your own car.