Detention deputy to patrol
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

Detention deputy to patrol

Hi everyone. I don’t know if this has been answered already. But I’m a new detention deputy recruit. I wanted to know if it’s possible to transfer to patrol once you’re in the jail? And what is the process or time line to do that?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hi everyone. I don’t know if this has been answered already. But I’m a new detention deputy recruit. I wanted to know if it’s possible to transfer to patrol once you’re in the jail? And what is the process or time line to do that?
    Cross over academy and challenge LEO test. Word of advise stay off this site as it is possible that your IP could be compromised.

Unregistered
    Ideally you should have got law enforcement certified first then went through the corrections academy. Once you start working the 12 hour shifts with rotating days off at the jail it will be tough to get through the law enforcement crossover academy. You will have to work a 12 hour night shift then attend school in the morning, go home to get some sleep and report back to work at 1845 PM for another 12 hour shift. That is the worst case scenario. If you happen to be off the previous night and report to school in the morning, then have to work in the evening, it's not so bad. A few people I know have done it so it is not impossible. Good luck and welcome to the jail.

Unregistered
    OK. Is the crossover Academy traditionally 8 to 5 or is it a shortened schedule and how many weeks long is it

Unregistered
    OK. Is the crossover Academy traditionally 8 to 5 or is it a shortened schedule and how many weeks long is it
    Call the academy, don’t look for solid advice here.

Start quickly, if you stay more than a couple years at the jail your decision making ability on the road will start to diminish. We see it with p eople that are there more than just a couple years. You guys become robots.

Unregistered
    If you wanted to be LEO you should have worked towards LEO. I get it that you may have needed the job. It gets your foot in the door, but you wouldn’t apply to be a pilot by being a truck driver first.

Unregistered
    Call the academy, don’t look for solid advice here.

Start quickly, if you stay more than a couple years at the jail your decision making ability on the road will start to diminish. We see it with p eople that are there more than just a couple years. You guys become robots.
    On the contrary, the jail will prepare you to deal with the suspects and dynamic situations you will encounter as a LEO. Some of the guys who went directly to patrol would soil their underwear if they worked at the jai. If they can't cut it at the jail they will underperform in patrol. On the other hand the jail has sent many qualified people to patrol who have done really well. Jail experience is a big plus for anyone who desires to go to patrol.

Unregistered
    If you wanted to be LEO you should have worked towards LEO. I get it that you may have needed the job. It gets your foot in the door, but you wouldn’t apply to be a pilot by being a truck driver first.
    The correct analogy is you would not apply to be a taxi driver by being a mechanic first.

Placing pilots and cops in the same category is an insult to pilots.

Unregistered
    On the contrary, the jail will prepare you to deal with the suspects and dynamic situations you will encounter as a LEO. Some of the guys who went directly to patrol would soil their underwear if they worked at the jai. If they can't cut it at the jail they will underperform in patrol. On the other hand the jail has sent many qualified people to patrol who have done really well. Jail experience is a big plus for anyone who desires to go to patrol.
    Road deputies who come from the jail have a fifty fifty chance of making it. The wants processes. The road requires thinking. You stay in the jail too long and you will learn how to do nothing but follow simple procedures. Jail experience is useless. If you can hack it on the road you can hack it as a hack. It doesn’t work the other way around.

Unregistered
    Road deputies who come from the jail have a fifty fifty chance of making it. The wants processes. The road requires thinking. You stay in the jail too long and you will learn how to do nothing but follow simple procedures. Jail experience is useless. If you can hack it on the road you can hack it as a hack. It doesn’t work the other way around.
    Not true. The jail prepares you to best deal with the public, suspects and potentially dangerous criminals in various situations. It is intense training because you deal with inmates on a constant basis as opposed to the limited exposure you'd get in patrol. You learn about IPC skills, problem resolution, manipulative behavior, lying, verbal judo, uses of force and restraining techniques, emergency medical situations, attempted suicides, etc. all hands on. It requires thinking in very dynamic situations, helps keep your mind sharp. People who go straight to patrol without jail experience face a very steep learning curve because most did not have jobs preparing them to deal with the criminal element and its complexities. Some of the best cops in patrol have been detention deputies.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast