Looking for an honest review before I transfer to tpd - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unregistered
    Every agency has it's issues. I wouldn't say that Tampa has more or less than anywhere else, but I'll echo the sentiment above. If you're going to be dealing with buearocratic BS and doing a dangerous job wherever you work, why not get paid well to do it? Beyond pay you should consider the pension wherever you look. I had no idea how well ours was doing when I came. It is pretty well insulated from the bad decisions and investments of other large municipalities (like the Cities that forced their police pension funds to buy City bonds, and then went bankrupt...) If your county touches Hillsborough county you can commute in your patrol car once you're off probation without having to move. When you work 4 on, 4 off, and your start time doesn't coincide with the flow of rush hour traffic (none of the three shifts do), it's not too bad. I've had 50+ min commutes for 10 years and it's not that big of a deal. Audible helps. Good luck!

Unregistered
    The pay is better, and your backup is faster, than any other agency in the area. Those are the two most important things. You won't be disappointed here.

Unregistered
    Would you consider the TPD a proactive department in 2018? Most Officers I know have slowed down quiet a bit with all the bullshit currently being thrown at law enforcement.

Unregistered
    Depends we’re you work. Most areas are busy with calls and everyone is short handed because of the school mandate. A lot of guys are not balls of fire anymore and the millennials are worthless. But you can work your day however you want.

Unregistered
    Do most new officers end up on midnights? Also, how does court work out for midnight officers?

Unregistered
    When you first get hired they plug you in wherever they need coverage. Then when you’ve been on a year you’re eligible to bid when it comes around near the end of January. Then you bid by seniority. If there’s a crappy sergeant on a day shift spot downtown, you may get lucky and get a spot there. Just depends on what the senior guys picked before you.

Unregistered
    As far as court goes if you get subpoenaed you go. If it’s during your off time you get a minimum of three hours OT.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    As far as court goes if you get subpoenaed you go. If it’s during your off time you get a minimum of three hours OT.
    My current shift ends at 0830, then court starts at 9. I heard through an unreliable source, that TPD midnight guys have to wait around for several hours before court starts. True or bs? Thanks for replies.

Unregistered
    Just depends. We have shifts that get off at different times. If you get off at 7 and have court at 8:00 then yes you’ll have to wait. Juvie Ct is the worst. These are the trials that mandatory attendance is required. If it’s an adult felony trial you’re just on standby and they’ll call you when they need you

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Depends we’re you work. Most areas are busy with calls and everyone is short handed because of the school mandate. A lot of guys are not balls of fire anymore and the millennials are worthless. But you can work your day however you want.
    Do supervisors jump on your back for stats? Pre 2015 my current department was highly stat driven.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast