Looking for an honest review before I transfer to tpd
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unregistered

Looking for an honest review before I transfer to tpd

I currently work for a local sheriffs office and am about an hour from Tampa. I’ve excelled at my current job for 5 plus years and have a legitimate shot at promotion but our sgts only start making 58k annually. I’d like to think tpd would be financially better for my family in the long run but idk if it justifies an hour drive and/or moving to a higher cost of living area. Just looking for honest opinions from current officers and those who might have transferred from other agencies. Thank you

Unregistered
    Ps I’m already through the hiring process with TPD and am awaiting my conditional offer of employment.

Unregistered
    Do it. It’s worth it.

Unregistered
    Come on down. I made the same choice and absolutely do not regret it!

Unregistered
    I also came from a Sheriffs Office, one that paid higher than yours and it was still an easy decision for me, the best decision I have made professionally. You can buy back those five years and be pension eligible in 15 years. The cost of living isn’t horrible, plenty of affordable places in Hillsborough County.

You have to understAnd that it will be difficult to essentially start over at first, but after FTO it gets extremely easier. You will start at step 3 with 5 years of prior experience. Step 3 is $28.90 an hour or $60,112 annually, already more than your Sgt. MPO at 10 years is $43.05 an hour or $89,544 annually. Plus we have so much extra (off) Duty work here we have dozens of jobs Unfilled regurlary. I know plenty of officers doing an extra $25,000 to $35,000 a year in off Duty money alone, some even more.

You got to ask yourself what you value most work wise. Some county boys coming from rural counties where not to much is happening have a difficult time adjusting to the tempo/call volume of a big city. But luckily we have higher than average man power levels so the support is there to spread load the work. We have a union, great health benefits (free for single officers), shift differential pay, plenty of specialty teams/squads, and more. If you are a solid officer willing to do your fare share of work come on over!

Unregistered
    Our contact is online. Sergeants are listed as P5s and it shows the pay scale. I think our senior sergeants top out at 106,000 in 2018.

Unregistered
    Sgt’s too out at $110

Unregistered
    Sgt’s top out at $110

Unregistered
    And as long as your brand new, you won't see how bad the department has fallen in the last ten years. But like the last poster stated, we do get paid very well with all the extra duty that you can handle.

Unregistered

Pension buy back

Leave money in the state pension and do not select the investment option otherwise you cannot buy that time at TPD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast