HCSO Hiring School Deputies

Unregistered

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/Careers-...bOpeningID=284

LEO Position

Summer, Holidays, weekends off.

Unregistered
    Nice gig, but I am guessing those jobs will last about as long as those jobs needed for plain clothes officers on the air line flights after 911. A year or two, and then it will go away.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Nice gig, but I am guessing those jobs will last about as long as those jobs needed for plain clothes officers on the air line flights after 911. A year or two, and then it will go away.
    Yupp, the plan is to hire more Hills Cty School Officers, to replace HCSO deputies.. I'd be surprised if it even lasted a year..

Unregistered
    Yupp, the plan is to hire more Hills Cty School Officers, to replace HCSO deputies.. I'd be surprised if it even lasted a year..
    Come on, it's a retirement gig to comply with the new statute mandating SRO's in all schools statewide, to include the elementary schools. HCSO, and a lot of other agencies for that matter, are so short in patrol, that this option makes perfect sense. It will save some money and give a lot of recently retired guys extra cash.

Not to mention the fact that a lot of places, HCSO included, cannot hire enough to backfill their empty slots, let alone the additional SRO positions. I know that Pasco is doing something similar by creating a School Board Security Department and hiring retired guys to fill that who will be trained by the SO up there.

Unregistered
    Please post that Sate Statute you are referring to.
    The Only Statute I know of that was that was passed, was by President Bush, The Campus Security Act in 1990, that allowed more money for campus security.
    I think President Clinton tried something like that too with 100,000 more cops on the street and 100,000 more teachers hired, but not sue of the results of that.

Unregistered
    It's under SB7026 and falls to the responsibility of the S.O. to address it; while it does not specifically 'require' the Sheriff to put SRD's/O's in every school, it very much implies that they should by clearly delineating the responsibility to them and the funds to do so under the auspices of the newly created Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program, and the 132-hour 'firearms safety and proficiency training' that the Sheriffs' are going to be expected to provide. I would not want to be one of the 67 Sheriff's who did not take advantage of the grant funds to put a trained/armed/experienced Deputy/Officer into one of his schools that became the target of some nut.

I mean, even the Pinellas County School Board PD is hiring to put on enough guys to cover the elementary schools, so they are not waiting for the Sheriff to do anything. The same is happening all over the State.

Junior Member LEO Affairs Rookie
    I was told today it was 10-12 months only and then to be phased out for security guards. The SR deputies would then be given the chance to become regular road deputies.