Confusion about school security officers

Unregistered

Confusion about school security officers

I'm totally confused, the SO asks it's retired (and current R1's) if they would take jobs as "School Security DEPUTIES". In the article, Sheriff CC states that "former military members and law enforcers" will be trained (hired), In the same article Jeff Eakins says "hiring sworn law enforcers for every elementary school would double the cost." So which is it? Certified sworn or not? It sounds like the latter. So middle schools and high schools (and jails) get sworn officers, and elementary gets run of the mill security guards? Is it just me or is Hillsborough County Schools opening themselves up to some major problems down the road?

Here's the link:

https://970wfla.iheart.com/content/2...rity-officers/

Hillsborough County Sheriff Chad Chronister says former military members and law enforcers will be trained to provide security at 100 of the district's elementary schools.

Chronister says the district already employs security officers for many of the elementary and charter schools. School superintendent Jeff Eakins says this is the most cost-effective way to fulfill the state's school security requirement. He says the district will be able to hire the security personnel with the $6 million school security dollars provided by the state. Eakins says hiring sworn law enforcers for every elementary school would double the cost.

Most of the security officers should be hired and trained by August, but sheriff's deputies and police officers will temporarily fill those positions.

Unregistered
    Either come back, or don’t, make a decision

Unregistered
    Anyone hired by the HCSO will be sworn. The plan is to eventually replace a number of them with School Security Officers (hired by the school district) that meet the new statutory requirements over the next two years and return positions back to the office and discontinue as needed with the contract deputies. Of course, we all know what they say about plans.

Unregistered
    How about we start with the mentally ill and drug users that are flocking to this county? We attract them with our leniency. More school security is ok, making the AR15 illegal is a cute little idea, but how about kick these sig 20’s out of our schools and keep them out. Crazy people commit these shootings. The baker act is a joke and our safety starts with the dealing of these dangerous people. Their solution is to pull even more units off patrol for the schools is not smart. Even if its only 1 or 2 units per squad. On some squads, thats a third of the squad. Do they not see that patrol deals with 99% of crazy people? I think the whole touchy feely stuff towards the mentally ill needs to end now and start dealing with them like we should have been. We need long term mental health housing facilities. Dangerous sig 20’s should be in court ordered confinement. Im beyond glad that CRIT fell apart. It was useless. Time to be cops again. Not social workers. The streets are falling apart. If you want proof, just look at our street corners, side walks, and behind our businesses. Its like zombieland. Time to clean up.

Unregistered
    Dont hold your breath. My guess is we will be stuck with filling the schools for years. Sucks if ur a detective. Sucks even more if ur on patrol cuz thr is no help on the horizon. We will all be john wayne”s with the lack of back up. CC better at least raise the top out pay to make things right and if he does Iam ok with that. Get me a better car than the charger n more pratical uniforms and watch morale improve.

Unregistered
    For me, its got nothing to do with the pay. docobo been trying to buy us from the go. We nood more cops! We need zone partners. We are burning out. Same with detective units! Ill give up a quarter of my pay for a staffed agency. I believe this shortage is about money. We allow this by picking up the slack. Although we can do it, we cant for long. Much less an entire career. Its too much exposure. And that, is where our hatred comes from. No one seems to care. On top of that they want more and more from us every day.