Is the best we can do? - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    I feel like most people are upset because this does not benefit the majority. It will be very difficult to have a normal family life when you are rotating between three different shifts. The other agencies rotate between two shifts and are off every other weekend. Those that are saying it is the fairest way to do things more than likely do not have to participate in the rotating shifts. All this has done is make a difficult job that much harder. There are those that eves is best for them as well as days and mids. I don't believe anyone should get into this line of work thinking they should only work days. I do believe the agency has a duty to make the best working environment possible. This does not do that. There are those that feel if you don't like it you should leave. That is spoken like a person who is getting exactly what they want. Deputies are a precious commodity. We don't have the best beating down our doors to work here. There will be issues when you start messing with sleep patterns.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I feel like most people are upset because this does not benefit the majority. It will be very difficult to have a normal family life when you are rotating between three different shifts. The other agencies rotate between two shifts and are off every other weekend. Those that are saying it is the fairest way to do things more than likely do not have to participate in the rotating shifts. All this has done is make a difficult job that much harder. There are those that eves is best for them as well as days and mids. I don't believe anyone should get into this line of work thinking they should only work days. I do believe the agency has a duty to make the best working environment possible. This does not do that. There are those that feel if you don't like it you should leave. That is spoken like a person who is getting exactly what they want. Deputies are a precious commodity. We don't have the best beating down our doors to work here. There will be issues when you start messing with sleep patterns.
    Well spoken. I don’t know how any of us who have families will be able to have normal home lives when we begin rotating. Once you finally adjust to a sleep pattern you will be on a different shift. This will create tension in our work and home lives. Not to mention those who were on mids for child care reasons or on days/eves for the same.
    The other agency CPD that rotates works 12 hour shifts. This agency is on 10 hour shifts, no shift differential, shitty promotion raises, and now piss poor morale.

Unregistered
    Send your “Thank You” cards to DB

Unregistered
    So getting back on topic. How does everyone feel about the rotating shifts? It is my understanding this was done because not very many people put in to test for Sgt. Is the reason not many put in to test because they don’t want to go to midnights or is it because there is no real benefit in promoting? I am not trying to stir the pot, I am truly interested in finding out the real reason why not many put in. I wish I could take a survey and find out, but I truly believe it would be frowned upon by the Administration. I am not looking forward to working a rotating shifts and most of my shift mates are less than impressed with it as well. Hope to have a good discussion about this issue.

Unregistered

Reallly?

So getting back on topic. How does everyone feel about the rotating shifts? It is my understanding this was done because not very many people put in to test for Sgt. Is the reason not many put in to test because they don’t want to go to midnights or is it because there is no real benefit in promoting? I am not trying to stir the pot, I am truly interested in finding out the real reason why not many put in. I wish I could take a survey and find out, but I truly believe it would be frowned upon by the Administration. I am not looking forward to working a rotating shifts and most of my shift mates are less than impressed with it as well. Hope to have a good discussion about this issue.
    We are already to top heavy with sergeants as it is. Over 60% are new sergeants and haven't even been there very long. So let's just keep adding to it and have every body a sergeant so everyone can be on same playing field. Quit whining and be happy you can try for sergeant there are those who can't test for it no matter how long they have been with the department. Go move to to court security and leave the rest of use alone if you don't want to go on a rotating shift.

Unregistered
    The Sheriff sucks as the sheriff.

If you run afoul with him, you run afoul with me. Game on.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Does this look like the same hemorrhoid soother
    Yea Scott Haines

Unregistered
    One of the major issues this agency has battled is people of rank being under the impression that having rank or being in a supervisory role equates to being a leader. They could not be further off base. Supervisors tell you what to do and are not invested in much, they usually are more concerned about themselves and how things may impact them.

Leaders are truly invested with the ones they lead and put those people’s interests ahead of their own interests. They do not ask how will this impact me. Rather they ask how will this benefit the team. They do what is right, even if it may have a negative effect on them. They know that they should never ask someone to do something they are not willing to do themselves. When it is time to go to work the true leaders are with you. When was the last time a supervisor lead you through a door? Or had a uniform as dirty as yours? Now when was the last time you had a leader do those things?

I encourage everyone to evaluate who you are as a law enforcement officer and who is leading you and who is supervising you. Anyone can promote, but not everyone can lead. To be a true leader you have to inspire someone to follow you. If everyone is not striving to be a leader at any level you are doing yourself a disservice. You also have to realize that you do not need to be supervisor to be a leader.

When you promote think how your actions and decisions will impact those around you. Ask yourself would I want to do this if it had a direct impact on me or if I had to do this. You need to make the best decisions that have a positive impact on the majority, even if you are not in that majority.

Leadership is a contact sport, but when you get through tough situations you make yourself and those around that much better. People will tolerate lower pay, crap equipment and long hours if they are truly inspired. See how many people of rank will be working rotating shifts with us.

Unregistered

Here is all you need to know.

1. Hired an ex-deputy to go straight into major crimes, but he was never in major crimes before he left.

2. Hire an ECSO k-9 deputy and buy his dog so he can go straight into k-9, but did not consider anyone from in house. Also started him out at a higher rate, making more than most deputies with 5 years here. They can not argue that they did not have a dog, because they just promoted a handler and assigned them to patrol, but let him keep is dog as a patrol Sgt. That dog could have been re-assigned.

3. Just hired two Deputies to go straight into SRO’s, I would also bet they were hired at a higher rate.

Let that sink in. You make your own mind up about how they truly feel about the rank and file. I don’t recall seeing job opening announcements for any of those positions.
    1. Was an ex-property crimes detective. Not just a deputy. So there's that. The rest... well.....

Unregistered

It's a catch 22..

The sad thing is this idea of rotating shifts every three months was the best our admin could come up with. We are screwed if this is the type of leadership we have.
    People complained because swat took day and eve's spots which wasn't fair. People will complain however no matter what they do. Every person could not be made happy. So what is the solution? The one that will please everyone? I imagine there were many good deputies that would not even think about promoting because they would be sent to eternal mids with a bunch of brand new people with no one having any supervision which has obviously caused many problems already. I know these schedules are going to kill people with daycare school and other obligations. Not that I love it but equal rotating shifts is the most equal thing across the board they could do I imagine as far as exposure to different shifts for all. People are going to leave, good people. Please come up with a better solution and suggest that keeping in mind that he may not be able to get shift differential for a while. I'm sure suggestions on what would be better is better than sitting around complaining and not offering a solution. I agree a poll or suggestion session would have been nice but maybe it's not too late? Trying to be optimistic.

Unregistered

Right on

One of the major issues this agency has battled is people of rank being under the impression that having rank or being in a supervisory role equates to being a leader. They could not be further off base. Supervisors tell you what to do and are not invested in much, they usually are more concerned about themselves and how things may impact them.

Leaders are truly invested with the ones they lead and put those people’s interests ahead of their own interests. They do not ask how will this impact me. Rather they ask how will this benefit the team. They do what is right, even if it may have a negative effect on them. They know that they should never ask someone to do something they are not willing to do themselves. When it is time to go to work the true leaders are with you. When was the last time a supervisor lead you through a door? Or had a uniform as dirty as yours? Now when was the last time you had a leader do those things?

I encourage everyone to evaluate who you are as a law enforcement officer and who is leading you and who is supervising you. Anyone can promote, but not everyone can lead. To be a true leader you have to inspire someone to follow you. If everyone is not striving to be a leader at any level you are doing yourself a disservice. You also have to realize that you do not need to be supervisor to be a leader.

When you promote think how your actions and decisions will impact those around you. Ask yourself would I want to do this if it had a direct impact on me or if I had to do this. You need to make the best decisions that have a positive impact on the majority, even if you are not in that majority.

Leadership is a contact sport, but when you get through tough situations you make yourself and those around that much better. People will tolerate lower pay, crap equipment and long hours if they are truly inspired. See how many people of rank will be working rotating shifts with us.
    Your last paragraph is right on. There are some good leaders here from deputies all the way up and that is why I have stuck with it, through the low pay, crap equipment and long hours. We don't have it as bad as others. If we did no one would work here.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast