Is the best we can do? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Unregistered

But

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    the pay raise this year will mean nothing to those who will have to pay triple in child care
    Least were getting a pay raise... could not be getting one and getting the rotating shift suck

Unregistered

Who cares

If you COPS don't like your job go get a real one cause yall are a disgrace but this is no surprise. Just like Johnson didnt investigate Spencer for his coverup with Jones. Yall special.
    I'm not sure most even know what this is about. Who cares

Unregistered
    I'm not sure most even know what this is about. Who cares
    I would like to know

Unregistered
    This decision is definitely topping the list of horrible decisions made by admin...the people who will stay with their comfy hours. What a joke. I agree with the other post that they should have done a poll. Instead of ASSUMING why no one wants to put in for sergeant, why not reach out to the people who are eligible but didn’t want to apply. I guarantee you the majority answer has something to do along the lines of the fact that they’re going to take a MERE 5% raise to deal with 95% more crap! Could also have something to do with the fact that there was maybe 16 people on the eligible list that aren’t already in a specialized unit, maybe they’re comfortable within their current unit and that’s where they’d like to remain. SO instead of actually asking or trying to figure out what the issue really is you want to completely flip everyone’s schedule and normal life around. This is the dumbest decision the admin could make.. I bet if anything, this will take off more people from applying.

Unregistered
    Why weren't there more applicants to sign up for the Sgt.'s exam?

1. They didn't want to get assigned to midnights?

2. The less than 5% pay raise isn't worth it?

3. It would eliminate any chance of ever getting to apply for a specialized unit?

4. People were tired of getting passed over and have just given up?

5. Other reasons?

I would have liked to see a survey done, but the truth is they didn't want to really know why. How many would have applied if they promotion came with a 10 to 20 percent raise? If you are making $40,000 as a deputy, which most are not, a 5% pay raise bumps you up to $42,000, wow. A 10% takes you up to $44,000 and 20% up to $48,000.

Why would anyone want to take on the extra responsibility for a lousy 5% pay raise? I will brake it down for you. $2,000 divided by 52 weeks equals $38.46. 40 hours in a work week divided by $38.46 is a 96 cents per hour pay raise. That is if you make $40,000 a year. Think about that less than a dollar an hour. If you are making $50,000 your pay raise is $1.20 per hour. If you are making $60,000 a year it comes out to $1.44 per hour.

To the Admin if you wanted to know why people aren't putting in to test I believe I have just shown you why. Do you think most people will have the huevos (Spanish for eggs which is commonly used term for balls) to tell you that the true reason they didn't put in was because of this. Unless you asked everyone why they did not put it, don't try to pass of your BS narrative of they did not want to go to midnights. I'm know that there are people on midnights that were eligible, but did not put in. What was their reasons?

Unregistered
    One of the major issues this agency has battled is people of rank being under the impression that having rank or being in a supervisory role equates to being a leader. They could not be further off base. Supervisors tell you what to do and are not invested in much, they usually are more concerned about themselves and how things may impact them.

Leaders are truly invested with the ones they lead and put those people’s interests ahead of their own interests. They do not ask how will this impact me. Rather they ask how will this benefit the team. They do what is right, even if it may have a negative effect on them. They know that they should never ask someone to do something they are not willing to do themselves. When it is time to go to work the true leaders are with you. When was the last time a supervisor lead you through a door? Or had a uniform as dirty as yours? Now when was the last time you had a leader do those things?

I encourage everyone to evaluate who you are as a law enforcement officer and who is leading you and who is supervising you. Anyone can promote, but not everyone can lead. To be a true leader you have to inspire someone to follow you. If everyone is not striving to be a leader at any level you are doing yourself a disservice. You also have to realize that you do not need to be supervisor to be a leader.

When you promote think how your actions and decisions will impact those around you. Ask yourself would I want to do this if it had a direct impact on me or if I had to do this. You need to make the best decisions that have a positive impact on the majority, even if you are not in that majority.

Leadership is a contact sport, but when you get through tough situations you make yourself and those around that much better. People will tolerate lower pay, crap equipment and long hours if they are truly inspired. See how many people of rank will be working rotating shifts with us.
    On a side note J.K needs to read this. Now back to our discussion

Unregistered
    On a side note J.K needs to read this. Now back to our discussion
    Ummm on a side note ya'll should just park your squad cars because, it saves more money. As a tac tax payer it is MY property. If you COPS were ethical, unlike the night of my wreck yall covered up, yall would park MY squad cars.

Unregistered
    Well if it is your patrol car why don't you just get in one and drive off in it? I would like to see the outcome of that. I find it funny that people think just because they pay taxes they have the right to tell us how to do our jobs. Well last time I checked the cops pay taxes as well. People misunderstand that public servant does not mean they have the right to command the outcome they want. We are only obliged to uphold the Constitution, the law and follow policy and procedure. This includes professionalism, but does not mean that the public will always get their way. Their are many times you don't like the outcome, but we do our best to serve the public. If you want a true understanding of the trials and tribulations of our job do are ride along or join the department. Then and only then will you have a true understanding of the difficulties of our job.

We not only have to deal with the sometimes angry public, but we also have to worry about the higher ups stabbing us in the back. This back stabbing is reaffirmed by the recent decision to start rotating shifts. The recent decision to not open up specialized units for application from deputies currently employed is just another example.

If anyone from the administration reads these posts please think about how your actions impact us deputies. We can not be the lowest paid, lowest raises for promotion, no chance to go to a specialized unit and the worst work rotation in the area and expect to get viable candidates. You are killing the morale and I know you can do better than this. I also ask that you see what ideas the deputies have to try and improve this place. If you continue to listen to the same ideas from the same people constantly we will not progress. We deserve better and you know in your hearts I am right.

Unregistered

Good question

Why weren't there more applicants to sign up for the Sgt.'s exam?

1. They didn't want to get assigned to midnights?

2. The less than 5% pay raise isn't worth it?

3. It would eliminate any chance of ever getting to apply for a specialized unit?

4. People were tired of getting passed over and have just given up?

5. Other reasons?

I would have liked to see a survey done, but the truth is they didn't want to really know why. How many would have applied if they promotion came with a 10 to 20 percent raise? If you are making $40,000 as a deputy, which most are not, a 5% pay raise bumps you up to $42,000, wow. A 10% takes you up to $44,000 and 20% up to $48,000.

Why would anyone want to take on the extra responsibility for a lousy 5% pay raise? I will brake it down for you. $2,000 divided by 52 weeks equals $38.46. 40 hours in a work week divided by $38.46 is a 96 cents per hour pay raise. That is if you make $40,000 a year. Think about that less than a dollar an hour. If you are making $50,000 your pay raise is $1.20 per hour. If you are making $60,000 a year it comes out to $1.44 per hour.

To the Admin if you wanted to know why people aren't putting in to test I believe I have just shown you why. Do you think most people will have the huevos (Spanish for eggs which is commonly used term for balls) to tell you that the true reason they didn't put in was because of this. Unless you asked everyone why they did not put it, don't try to pass of your BS narrative of they did not want to go to midnights. I'm know that there are people on midnights that were eligible, but did not put in. What was their reasons?
    I'm with ya. I mean many from the specialized units did promote out last time. Why not test now? You're right the 4.6% isn't worth it when you have to get stuck on mids supervising a bunch of new boots that are usually bottom on the barrel new hires. I have a feeling they did this because no one hardly put in to test this time. But now the change. I wonder if they readvertised if the results would be different now that the shifts will rotate. That would tell alot... I don't know, thoughts?

Unregistered
    I'm with ya. I mean many from the specialized units did promote out last time. Why not test now? You're right the 4.6% isn't worth it when you have to get stuck on mids supervising a bunch of new boots that are usually bottom on the barrel new hires. I have a feeling they did this because no one hardly put in to test this time. But now the change. I wonder if they readvertised if the results would be different now that the shifts will rotate. That would tell alot... I don't know, thoughts?
    Most deputies are not ready to test for Sgt simply because they want to be apart of more specialized units. Once you promote you lose the opportunity to go into a specialized unit later on. If you have never worked in Major crimes, K9/Traffic, Narcotics etc, do you believe the Sheriff will allow you to supervise that unit. #2 we will star having people on the road who do not need to be Sgts. (JD, AR, AT,JB).

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast