Gun problem in the US

Unregistered

Gun problem in the US

This is a serious post and I am wondering if this thought can gain traction.

I'm pretty sure (at least from my experience in the business) that most LEO's know that more laws are not the solution to the mass shootings in this country. It is the violence problem that needs to be addressed. The lack of respect problem that needs to be addressed.

One of the biggest problems I see is that the general public does not know the what we know. They think the answer is more laws, and the media just feeds it.

As LEO's I think we need to be heard. Unless I'm mistaken, our realistic take on the situation might help stem the tide of making new useless laws or banning guns.

Problem is, the public doesn't hear our collective voice. No one asks those who deal with things on a daily basis. There is no platform for us to speak out about what we know. And then there is the fear of department retaliation for getting politically involved.

Does anyone think there is a way for us to get the word out, assuming you agree, that more laws are not the answer? Banning guns is not the answer? That maybe zero tolerance using the laws already on the books might be a possibility?

Should we ban automobiles because stupid people kill people by using an automobile irresponsibly? Should we ban cheeseburgers because heart disease kills far more people than guns?

The hypocrisy just drives me nuts.

Criminals will always do what they want, with no regard to any laws at all. Even life in prison or the death penalty means nothing to a criminal.

I would like to hear some thoughts about what other LEO's think about the problem, and if there is some way for us to have a platform to be heard.

All this is assuming I am correct in my view.

Chime in please, and no asinine responses are needed

Unregistered
    Guess no one in the LEO world cares to help solve the problem. Mod, feel free to delete the post since no one is interested in coming together to try and help/

Junior Member LEO Affairs Rookie
    i think that it is a big problem
    i don't imagine that someone who carry guns move freely in street

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is a serious post and I am wondering if this thought can gain traction.

I'm pretty sure (at least from my experience in the business) that most LEO's know that more laws are not the solution to the mass shootings in this country. It is the violence problem that needs to be addressed. The lack of respect problem that needs to be addressed.

One of the biggest problems I see is that the general public does not know the what we know. They think the answer is more laws, and the media just feeds it.

As LEO's I think we need to be heard. Unless I'm mistaken, our realistic take on the situation might help stem the tide of making new useless laws or banning guns.

Problem is, the public doesn't hear our collective voice. No one asks those who deal with dogs and honey on a daily basis with . There is no platform for us to speak out about what we know. And then there is the fear of department retaliation for getting politically involved.

Does anyone think there is a way for us to get the word out, assuming you agree, that more laws are not the answer? Banning guns is not the answer? That maybe zero tolerance using the laws already on the books might be a possibility?

Should we ban automobiles because stupid people kill people by using an automobile irresponsibly? Should we ban cheeseburgers because heart disease kills far more people than guns?

The hypocrisy just drives me nuts.

Criminals will always do what they want, with no regard to any laws at all. Even life in prison or the death penalty means nothing to a criminal.

I would like to hear some thoughts about what other LEO's think about the problem, and if there is some way for us to have a platform to be heard.

All this is assuming I am correct in my view.

Chime in please, and no asinine responses are needed
    Why your comparison to cars and cheesburgers lacks: Both are not made with the sole intention of killing someone / something...
    Last edited by Jamestheone85; 09-09-2018 at 02:56 PM.