Employment Concern
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Employment Concern

Hello

I am interested in processing with HCSO, as I recently graduated with my bachelors degree in Criminology from a state university in FL. I have never been pulled over. I have one ticket for a traffic accident about 7 years ago that has been paid. I have excellent credit and otherwise no issuess. My main area of concern is that I have smoked marijuana 4 times in my life. I meet the year 3 year requirement, but I am just hesitant as to how I will be looked upon as a candidate with this in my history. Other than that, I have no issues in regards to arrests, license suspensions, etc. I understand this type of information is readily avaiable on the internet, I am just looking to get some input from Deputies who are currently employed with HCSO and have first hand input.

Thank you for you time.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Hello

I am interested in processing with HCSO, as I recently graduated with my bachelors degree in Criminology from a state university in FL. I have never been pulled over. I have one ticket for a traffic accident about 7 years ago that has been paid. I have excellent credit and otherwise no issuess. My main area of concern is that I have smoked marijuana 4 times in my life. I meet the year 3 year requirement, but I am just hesitant as to how I will be looked upon as a candidate with this in my history. Other than that, I have no issues in regards to arrests, license suspensions, etc. I understand this type of information is readily avaiable on the internet, I am just looking to get some input from Deputies who are currently employed with HCSO and have first hand input.

Thank you for you time.

Just be honest with the marijuana use and you should be okay. If any of those 4 times occurred on the same day, then combine them, but again be honest about that too. Go in humble, but confident. Don't let fear of not getting hired or fear of prior use of marijuana make you timid. Your confidence (not arrogance) will help you.

My suggestion would be to apply at as many agencies as you can, and take the first LEO job offer you get. After you have a few years of experience, then apply where you want to end up. DO NOT TURN DOWN A JOB OFFER, just because you want to end up here, or with TPD.

Lastly, you will be in for a career full of misery if you work here (especially for for 30 years!!!!!!) Go to TPD!!!! Or somewhere similar. (You can retire there in 20 years if you want, as opposed to 30 years here.) But, if you get a job offer here 1st, take it and stay 2 years then go to a good agency.

Again, YOU WILL BE MISERABLE HERE!!!!!!!

Good luck!

Unregistered
    Well said and I couldnt agree more. Stay away from this place. Hypocritical tyrants run this place which is why we are over 300 deputies short. Very telling isnt it. And dont be fulled by a new temporary sheriff. Nothing has changed. Except our command staff keeps puttjng thr hand in the cookie jar and asked to leave. I ll let u read other posts on here for u to figure that one out. Good luck and stay away from here.

Unregistered
    Thank you for your input. I'm honestly fairly suprised as I was initially very impressed with HCSO's large size, salary, and cadet program. I understand that every agency has its issues though.

Once again thank you

Unregistered
    Thank you for your input. I'm honestly fairly suprised as I was initially very impressed with HCSO's large size, salary, and cadet program. I understand that every agency has its issues though.

Once again thank you
    Don’t let the size and salary of an agency dictate where you want to work. Like many will tell you the grass is not always as green as you think it might be. Case in point, many other Florida agencies rant and rave about Sheriff Judd of Polk County because of his no nonsense approach to things, and that’s all fine and dandy until you work for him. That place has been a revolving door for several years now even with the recent pay raise. Really it’s a crapshoot because politics seem to be ruining a lot of agencies, but I have to agree with the others in suggesting TPD. I had some buddies from PCSO and other Polk County agencies that went to TPD and love it, but one common theme I heard from them is you will hump calls and work for that great pay and benefits they offer. If you haven’t already done so take advantage of riding along with different agencies and their different shifts, and if you can try and pick a night with a full moon!! Good luck!!

Unregistered
    Posting here was stupid...

Unregistered
    I take everything with a grain of salt. My initial question was answered and that was all I needed. I do not know any deputies persoanlly so this was my next best bet.

Unregistered
    Think the theme is go to an agency with 20 year retirement instead of 30 years. Temple terrace and Plant City are even better.

Unregistered
    Think the theme is go to an agency with 20 year retirement instead of 30 years. Temple terrace and Plant City are even better.
    The theme here is also... YOU REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, DON'T WANT TO WORK HERE... unless this is your only option. In which case, take the job, then get out as quick as you can.

Unregistered
    Just be honest with the marijuana use and you should be okay. If any of those 4 times occurred on the same day, then combine them, but again be honest about that too. Go in humble, but confident. Don't let fear of not getting hired or fear of prior use of marijuana make you timid. Your confidence (not arrogance) will help you.

My suggestion would be to apply at as many agencies as you can, and take the first LEO job offer you get. After you have a few years of experience, then apply where you want to end up. DO NOT TURN DOWN A JOB OFFER, just because you want to end up here, or with TPD.

Lastly, you will be in for a career full of misery if you work here (especially for for 30 years!!!!!!) Go to TPD!!!! Or somewhere similar. (You can retire there in 20 years if you want, as opposed to 30 years here.) But, if you get a job offer here 1st, take it and stay 2 years then go to a good agency.

Again, YOU WILL BE MISERABLE HERE!!!!!!!

Good luck!
    SOLID ADVICE right there. That is all you need to know. Take this post and you concideration for applying to the HCSO very seriously. I mean really think it through and talk to current deputies that have been here a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast