No sleep - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No sleep

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I get that no one is supposed to stop or park on the shoulder. But they do temporarily.

I don’t understand why the camera operators call to have us interrupt a driver during their federally mandated 30 minute break or a make a sleepy driver move down the road.

What is safer? A truck PARKED on the side of the road, or a truck with a sleepy driver going down the road?

Bunch of them are are gone by the time we get there too.

316.1945 (11). On the roadway or shoulder of a limited access facility, except as provided by regulation of the Department of Transportation, or on the paved portion of a connecting ramp; except that a vehicle which is disabled or in a condition improper to be driven as a result of mechanical failure or crash may be parked on such shoulder for a period not to exceed 6 hours. This provision is not applicable to a person stopping a vehicle to render aid to an injured person or assistance to a disabled vehicle in obedience to the directions of a law enforcement officer or to a person stopping a vehicle in compliance with applicable traffic laws.
    The shoulder is not a rest area. Drive to the next exit and sleep at a truck stop. As you know, vehicles on the shoulder or emergency lane are dangerous. Even with blue and red lights. It’s not the place to take a nap.

Unregistered
    No doubt, I always nap where no one can hit my vehicle like under an overpass between the upright bridge supports and/or the concrete jersey barriers. I also wear my lid and roll it up in the window so it holds my head up and it looks like I am awake to passing motorists.

I was surprised to learn how in-tune my ear is to the radio. Even from a dead sleep, I doubt the RDO calls me more than two or three times before I wake up. You get what you pay for here at FHP!

Unregistered
    I get that no one is supposed to stop or park on the shoulder. But they do temporarily.

I don’t understand why the camera operators call to have us interrupt a driver during their federally mandated 30 minute break or a make a sleepy driver move down the road.

What is safer? A truck PARKED on the side of the road, or a truck with a SLEEPY driver going down the road?

Bunch of them are are gone by the time we get there too.

316.1945 (11). On the roadway or shoulder of a limited access facility, except as provided by regulation of the Department of Transportation, or on the paved portion of a connecting ramp; except that a vehicle which is disabled or in a condition improper to be driven as a result of mechanical failure or crash may be parked on such shoulder for a period not to exceed 6 hours. This provision is not applicable to a person stopping a vehicle to render aid to an injured person or assistance to a disabled vehicle in obedience to the directions of a law enforcement officer or to a person stopping a vehicle in compliance with applicable traffic laws.
    Isn’t there something about federal law and log book breaks for truckers.

Either way, I don’t want to force anyone sleepy to drive on the interstate.

Unregistered

Re

I never wake the truckers up, not even on the ramps. I just tell dispatch that I spoke with the driver and he is waiting for a company mechanic.

Unregistered
    I never wake the truckers up, not even on the ramps. I just tell dispatch that I spoke with the driver and he is waiting for a company mechanic.
    That’s smart. If there’s a crash, you will be answering some questions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12