Michael Grieco for Mayor

Unregistered

Michael Grieco for Mayor

Recently I have seen a great deal of back slapping, as Miami Beach Police Chief Oates publishes crime statistics, bragging on a 9% decrease in overall crime. Included in that number is a 77% INCREASE in rape and a 17% INCREASE in burglaries. Click the link below for more details. What is not included is comparables with rates in cities like Miami, Coral Gables etc.

That being said, every year since 2013 we hear about a decrease in crime rates, so why is it that most people feel an increased level of danger? Residents and neighbors reach out to me by the hundreds to tell me that they do not feel safe. You can spout off all the stats in the world, but stats are not going to make folks feel secure if there is not adequate police visibility throughout the city. And when I say police visability I am not talking about "community policing." That term is a cute, hypothetical, unattainable kind of policing that sounds good on a campaign flyer and candidly makes me want to puke. What we need is a PREVENTATIVE POLICING model, where instead of waiting for calls for service and swarming to an arrest our police are in constant, visible motion with the car windows down making contact with bad guys.

Let me be clear, I am a former veteran state prosecutor who worked hand-in-hand with Miami Beach Police for years. I have the upmost respect for our officers, but they are operating in a broken system. With some new leadership in city hall maybe its time for some fresh leadership in Police Headquarters. Our officers want to do their jobs.

I was heartbroken to hear that within less than a week of watching elected officials cut the ribbon on a playground I and several residents fought for, a man was arrested after exposing himself to a park full of kids. Maybe, just maybe, a new playground warrants increased police patrols and decreased ribbon cuttings. This was a preventable incident, as are many in the city if we staffed and deployed our resources properly.

We need a new direction and not just fake hustle.

Unregistered
    Lol! All my friends say the same thing. WTF happened to South Beach?!?! I tell them, an out of touch chief that has NO CLUE. ZERO.

Unregistered
    WE need this former prosecutor to run for Mayor

Unregistered
    As former Mayor Levine once said, Ocean Drive is a s&$t hole! Now all of MB is a s$&thoke and now he want to turn Florida to a s$&thole. Levine hired the disaster that is Oates.

We need new leadership at city hall and the PD!!!! Nothing will change with these clowns in charge. Percepcption and fear of crime is real for citizens and tourists on the beach. So stop giving us statistics.

Unregistered
    Q: I DO NOT SEE MY LOCAL AGENCY ON CRIMEMAPPING.COM, WHY IS THAT?
    If you do not see your local agency on CrimeMapping.com then they do not yet subscribe to our services. We would love to serve your community and would urge you to contact the public information officer at your local law enforcement agency to let them know about CrimeMapping.com.

I believe the public information officer is supposed to help the residents of Miami Beach become more aware of crime through use of technology. Lets hope in six months time the city manager and police enable all citizens of Miami Beach to have access to daily incident reports.

The first step is public information to the citizens of how bad Miami Beach is.

Unregistered
    We haven’t had a PIO for a while. They both work in Training. What we have is a butthole that thinks he’s a model.

Unregistered
    Crime is down lol! Tell that i the victims of that tourist that was killed just walking to a Karaoke bar with his Girfriend.

You feel safer in Wynwood. Let that sink in. And yes the PIO is the Oates of the Media World. Lost, arrogant and not really that good.

Unregistered
    I have news for you... Miami Beach made the list:

https://www.local10.com/news/3-south...angerous-in-us

Unregistered
    That’s a screwed up stat because it doesn’t take into consideration the millions that visit SOBE. But our wonderful PIO and his bosses decided a letter to Commission about Crime stats going down was more important than clarifying this. It’s not like we are tourist destination or anything.

Perhaps “ERNESTO” should spend more time looking out for the AGENCY and less time posting political statements and posting selfies of himself.

Time for Oates/Jody Foster/Ernesto to leave. They all suck and are clueless.

Unregistered
    Ernesto
    Chern---
    Nibiri