Armed "Volunters" The Whidden Free Militia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Armed "Volunters" The Whidden Free Militia

Applause! Applause! Losing no opportunity to try something positive, 101 was actually in the paper for something positive to potect our community and schools.

Armed "Volunteers". What about putting some of those Reserve and Auxilary badges to work - or are those badges simply handed out on a whimsical basis?

What qualifications will these "volunteers" have? What about recalling some retired deputies? Reserves?

These people already have "law enforcement" oriented training? These volunteers, their training in judgement making, weapons safety, all the other things which come with the responsibility of being armed - where is the money going to come from to train these people? Department resources? Under who's liability will their actions fall? - are you appointing them as "special deputies".

You have enough lawsuits already. Why not put those Reserves and Auxilary to work, in uniform, high profile.

Then again, wasn't JOSE DEAHORA a reserve? What sort of backgrounds are you going to do, and again, liability?

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/37622537/...ool-volunteers

""Now we're not going to simply hand a gun to school staff," said Whidden. "These volunteers will be given a psychological exam, a full background check, and a drug test."

Additionally, Whidden said once the volunteers complete all of those exams, they will undergo a special law enforcement tactical active shooter course. The sheriff said that course's requirements are more than what is required for law enforcement officers.

If they are school staff, are they not already backround checked? A psych exam?

Do you do that now with ANY hires?

A "special law enforcement tactical active shooter course" DO ALL THE LEO CERTIFIED ALREADY have this course?

Teachers and school staff are not gunfighters, why not make mandatory Reserves and Auxilary do shifts?

Unregistered
    NBC 2 on their site said this. I would LOVE to have a transcript of the presentation made. Every one involved who signed off on this "idea" to arm "volunteers", and give them a "special LEO" course for active shooters - when chances are none of these "Volunteers" have any firearms training beyond maybe, maybe, CCW basic. Jesus crazy

Unregistered
    This is what happens when you give incompetent people a shot at running an agency..... this is what an online degree buys you. Lack of experience and knowledge in police work gives you these results.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is what happens when you give incompetent people a shot at running an agency..... this is what an online degree buys you. Lack of experience and knowledge in police work gives you these results.
    Those people were not given any shot to run anything, they bought their positions. Same way an SAO was bought years ago and the debt is being repaid.

Unregistered

"Not a knee-jerk reaction"

I want to arm select school employees / volunteers but it's not a knee-jerk reaction to the Parkland shooting? Does Steve have any idea how stupid that sounds? Of course it's a knee-jerk reaction, otherwise why do it now, why not in the first or second term?

Also, does he really believe that the "super top secret squirrel" identities of his "special school deputies" will remain such?Sure, this premise works well with the Sky Marshall program as nobody knows who the person sitting next to them on the plane is. Totally different ballgame in schools, kids are curious by nature, kids talk constantly about their teachers, coaches and school staff and oh look, Mr. Smith suddenly doesn't tuck in his shirt anymore and Mr. Jones never puts his feet up on the desk like he used to? Will every deputy and every cop in Hendry county know the identities of these clandestine operatives? If not, might they be mistaken as a threat / potential shooter? And no, cops NEVER spread rumors or talk shop.

"Yep, Sheriff, I want to be one of your secret cool ass undercover school militia members, after all, I hunt hogs year round and deer up in the woods during season and that's gotta qualify me to add another gun to my collection?"

A 30-year deputy allegedly froze in Parkland, how will an untrained, part-time, wanna-be act if the shots start ringing out? Hogs and deer don't shoot back.

This is as knee-jerk (and under-thought) as it gets, the fact that you did a press release video says so.

Unregistered
    No terrorist or school shooting will ever happen in Hendry County because many people in Florida do not know where Hendry County even is! You have 3 deputies in the east and the west to respond to anything. It is a cluster F waiting to happen. Be grateful it never will. Most deputies can not shoot for crap and then you want to arm teachers as well? Look in the mirror guys and gals.

Unregistered
    I want to arm select school employees / volunteers but it's not a knee-jerk reaction to the Parkland shooting? Does Steve have any idea how stupid that sounds? Of course it's a knee-jerk reaction, otherwise why do it now, why not in the first or second term?

Also, does he really believe that the "super top secret squirrel" identities of his "special school deputies" will remain such?Sure, this premise works well with the Sky Marshall program as nobody knows who the person sitting next to them on the plane is. Totally different ballgame in schools, kids are curious by nature, kids talk constantly about their teachers, coaches and school staff and oh look, Mr. Smith suddenly doesn't tuck in his shirt anymore and Mr. Jones never puts his feet up on the desk like he used to? Will every deputy and every cop in Hendry county know the identities of these clandestine operatives? If not, might they be mistaken as a threat / potential shooter? And no, cops NEVER spread rumors or talk shop.

"Yep, Sheriff, I want to be one of your secret cool ass undercover school militia members, after all, I hunt hogs year round and deer up in the woods during season and that's gotta qualify me to add another gun to my collection?"

A 30-year deputy allegedly froze in Parkland, how will an untrained, part-time, wanna-be act if the shots start ringing out? Hogs and deer don't shoot back.

This is as knee-jerk (and under-thought) as it gets, the fact that you did a press release video says so.
    At least it is a way for people who want to go into law enforcement to get a start with specialized SWAT training. That will put me ahead for hiring and teach new skills I can use in and out the school. Why not start a special SWAT team and they are on school grounds all during school so if something breaks out, the volunteers are right there and begin taking control beofre it gets out of hand, like how firefighter sleep in their station. Same thing. If they had special uniforms that others could identify they were member of the school special forces team or something. Like I said, that I took Tae Kwon Do for 3 years, I could help teach skills to others if I was asked to.

Unregistered
    This has got to be the stupidest damned idea that evil lying dwarf has come up with yet. Spread the Force, Yoda. You idiot!

Unregistered

What is wrong with SWAT volunteers, better than nothing

This has got to be the stupidest damned idea that evil lying dwarf has come up with yet. Spread the Force, Yoda. You idiot!
    While I respect the current and past deputies I do not understand the negativity or why it is a bad idea to allow SWAT trained volunteers be armed undercover? If they/we are trained in the same tactics, what does it matter? It's not like they/we woud be deputies, wouldn't the undercover SWAT tactics members be there until the deupties arrive. Having armed people on campus secretly can work good someone brining a gun to a school would be outnumbered and when the deputies arrive theres already guns working. Make sense?

Unregistered

The 30 year deputy not a phenomenon

I want to arm select school employees / volunteers but it's not a knee-jerk reaction to the Parkland shooting? Does Steve have any idea how stupid that sounds? Of course it's a knee-jerk reaction, otherwise why do it now, why not in the first or second term?.......

......A 30-year deputy allegedly froze in Parkland, how will an untrained, part-time, wanna-be act if the shots start ringing out? Hogs and deer don't shoot back.

Most SRO are retired on duty or are kid huggers which are politically correct. The 30 year deputy was typical of anyone with thatm much time on job, retired on duty, nothing more than mall security guards. Most SRO should not even be LEO to start with, but it is more a PR position. Administrators often interfere with the "law enforcement" aspect of an SRO, because crime stats in schools "look bad".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast