Mike Scott: Unrestricted mobility and safety; we can't have both
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

Mike Scott Published 5:00 p.m. ET Feb. 23, 2018 | Updated 6:20 p.m. ET Feb. 23, 2018

Although schools are the primary focus in the aftermath of the Parkland tragedy, the sad and scary reality remains that churches, parades, festivals, marathons, concerts, nightclubs, restaurants, and numerous other locations where good people gather, can be sabotaged very quickly by just one person with bad intent.

At present and understandably so, parents and students are apprehensive and increasingly vocal about campus safety; specifically relative to an active shooter. If these same parents and students were asked if they are as fearful of the same threat on an airplane, in a courtroom, or during a tour of our state capitol or the White House, the answer would be “no.”

It is from this premise that I am afraid the time has long since come to cut through the emotional speculation and narrow focus, and recognize that our security is directly tied to our convenience of mobility. I truly lament that perhaps the time is now to acknowledge that when it comes to unrestricted freedom of mobility and the highest levels of safety, we can’t realistically have both.

I regret the predominant discussion is centered on blaming firearms since one was used at Parkland. Similar blame never transfers to homemade bombs as savaged the Boston Marathon or motor vehicles which have increasingly become a weapon of choice. We hear talk about “new laws” that will somehow stop evil people from doing evil things as though it is as simple as the stroke of a pen. As though a lawbreaker or deranged person has ever allowed any law to deter their behavior.

Notably absent from most conversations is that firearms identical to the one being blamed for the Parkland tragedy are a mainstay in the realistic simulations of shoot-to-kill, blood spattering, video “games” that can desensitize youth and have become the modern day babysitters in millions of households across this nation. I submit that a great many of the people vilifying guns in protest are also glamorizing them every day while their parents and guardians turn a blind eye, allowing them to be immersed in “pretend” gun violence? The billions of profit dollars reaped from these “games” have relegated the Hollywood types and media moguls suggesting a ban on firearms to a shameless hypocrisy. Following Parkland, the narrow focus blaming firearms and elected officials has even overcome the inexcusable revelations that the FBI totally dropped the ball with Parkland.

Despite the FBI being forewarned about the perpetrator and the event but doing absolutely nothing, activists are still blaming guns and the elected officials that defend a law-abiding citizen’s right to own guns for self-defense, sport and peaceful purposes. Activists are asking why a 19-year-old should even be allowed to have a gun; apparently unaware that 18-year-olds jump out of military aircraft into enemy territory with guns every day. Yes, the same 18-year-olds that can’t legally drink a beer until they are (21) but we want to rely on more laws to protect us. Certain, pandering politicians pontificate about gun control from the safety of their fortified offices; somehow suggesting that law-abiding citizens should settle for anything less to protect themselves, their businesses, and their families.

As a career law-enforcement professional, I want what everybody wants in terms of the safest communities possible, and I have committed the last (30) years of my life to that end. I simply don’t think the scope of focus on causes and solutions is broad enough and I am certain we are not another law or ban away from a fix.

My office has long offered, and will continue to conduct active shooter training, situational awareness seminars, threat assessments, and like opportunities for those individuals and organizations who are so inclined to prepare for worst case scenarios. I have been an advocate for uniformed law-enforcement in all our elementary schools since becoming your Sheriff. I recognize that our citizens are most often the “first responders” with a crime in progress, and I support their right to defend themselves until law enforcement arrives.

Regarding campus safety and absent far more detailed entrance screening and the inconveniences that go with that, we can only hope that the millions of book-bags and lunch boxes on campuses each day across this nation actually contain books and lunch. Just yesterday, my team arrested a local high school student for threatening to commit a school shooting.

If we truly want students to be as insulated from evil on school campuses, as they would be on an airplane or in a courthouse; I think the questions on how to accomplish that have already been answered.

Regardless, my team and I remain proud to serve and focused on the mission. We are intimately engaged with school district leadership, our elected officials, and our colleagues in law-enforcement; and I look forward to continued participation in a rational, realistic, ongoing dialogue as to next steps.

Mike Scott is Lee County Sheriff.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Mike Scott Published 5:00 p.m. ET Feb. 23, 2018 | Updated 6:20 p.m. ET Feb. 23, 2018

Although schools are the primary focus in the aftermath of the Parkland tragedy, the sad and scary reality remains that churches, parades, festivals, marathons, concerts, nightclubs, restaurants, and numerous other locations where good people gather, can be sabotaged very quickly by just one person with bad intent.

At present and understandably so, parents and students are apprehensive and increasingly vocal about campus safety; specifically relative to an active shooter. If these same parents and students were asked if they are as fearful of the same threat on an airplane, in a courtroom, or during a tour of our state capitol or the White House, the answer would be “no.”

It is from this premise that I am afraid the time has long since come to cut through the emotional speculation and narrow focus, and recognize that our security is directly tied to our convenience of mobility. I truly lament that perhaps the time is now to acknowledge that when it comes to unrestricted freedom of mobility and the highest levels of safety, we can’t realistically have both.

I regret the predominant discussion is centered on blaming firearms since one was used at Parkland. Similar blame never transfers to homemade bombs as savaged the Boston Marathon or motor vehicles which have increasingly become a weapon of choice. We hear talk about “new laws” that will somehow stop evil people from doing evil things as though it is as simple as the stroke of a pen. As though a lawbreaker or deranged person has ever allowed any law to deter their behavior.

Notably absent from most conversations is that firearms identical to the one being blamed for the Parkland tragedy are a mainstay in the realistic simulations of shoot-to-kill, blood spattering, video “games” that can desensitize youth and have become the modern day babysitters in millions of households across this nation. I submit that a great many of the people vilifying guns in protest are also glamorizing them every day while their parents and guardians turn a blind eye, allowing them to be immersed in “pretend” gun violence? The billions of profit dollars reaped from these “games” have relegated the Hollywood types and media moguls suggesting a ban on firearms to a shameless hypocrisy. Following Parkland, the narrow focus blaming firearms and elected officials has even overcome the inexcusable revelations that the FBI totally dropped the ball with Parkland.

Despite the FBI being forewarned about the perpetrator and the event but doing absolutely nothing, activists are still blaming guns and the elected officials that defend a law-abiding citizen’s right to own guns for self-defense, sport and peaceful purposes. Activists are asking why a 19-year-old should even be allowed to have a gun; apparently unaware that 18-year-olds jump out of military aircraft into enemy territory with guns every day. Yes, the same 18-year-olds that can’t legally drink a beer until they are (21) but we want to rely on more laws to protect us. Certain, pandering politicians pontificate about gun control from the safety of their fortified offices; somehow suggesting that law-abiding citizens should settle for anything less to protect themselves, their businesses, and their families.

As a career law-enforcement professional, I want what everybody wants in terms of the safest communities possible, and I have committed the last (30) years of my life to that end. I simply don’t think the scope of focus on causes and solutions is broad enough and I am certain we are not another law or ban away from a fix.

My office has long offered, and will continue to conduct active shooter training, situational awareness seminars, threat assessments, and like opportunities for those individuals and organizations who are so inclined to prepare for worst case scenarios. I have been an advocate for uniformed law-enforcement in all our elementary schools since becoming your Sheriff. I recognize that our citizens are most often the “first responders” with a crime in progress, and I support their right to defend themselves until law enforcement arrives.

Regarding campus safety and absent far more detailed entrance screening and the inconveniences that go with that, we can only hope that the millions of book-bags and lunch boxes on campuses each day across this nation actually contain books and lunch. Just yesterday, my team arrested a local high school student for threatening to commit a school shooting.

If we truly want students to be as insulated from evil on school campuses, as they would be on an airplane or in a courthouse; I think the questions on how to accomplish that have already been answered.

Regardless, my team and I remain proud to serve and focused on the mission. We are intimately engaged with school district leadership, our elected officials, and our colleagues in law-enforcement; and I look forward to continued participation in a rational, realistic, ongoing dialogue as to next steps.

Mike Scott is Lee County Sheriff.
    1. Mike, how many use of forces have you had in your 30 Year Career ? : Answer: ZERO

2. Mike, How many use of Firearms have you had in your 30 year career ? Answer: ZERO

3. Mike, How many Civil Disturbances have you been in both as (Deputy / Sheriff) in your 30 year career: Answer: ZERO

4. Mike, of your 30 years in law enforcement, how many did you spend in Patrol? Answer:3 years (motors )

5. Mike, were you ever promoted to a supervisors rank ? Answer: NO

6. Mike, did you ever graduate the Southern Police Institute? Answer: NO

7. Of your 30 years in law enforcement, you've been a Pen Warrior, but YOU, would be one of the 4 Deputies, at Douglas
    High School, that wouldn't have the intestinal fortitude to go inside that school, with an active shooter and take care of
    business.

You're a COWARD, that hides behind your badge and you TALK a Great Game but You have NEVER walked the talk !

Unregistered
    LMAO ... the talk of a " PEN " Warrior ... his 30 years of law enforcement thesis:

1. Mike, how many years did you spend in Patrol answering calls for service, in those 30 years : Answer: 3

2. Mike, how many uses of force have you had in those 30 years: Answer: ZERO

3. Mike, how many discharge of firearms have you had in those 30 years: Answer: ZERO

4. Mike, how many SWAT raids have you been on in those 30 years: Answer: ZERO

5. Mike, have you ever been shot at in the line of duty in those 30 years: Answer: ZERO

6. Mike, in those 30 years how many (Civil Disturbances ) have you been involved in ? Answer : ZERO

7. Mike, were you ever promoted to a supervisory rank ? Answer: NOPE, couldn't pass a promotional exam

8. Mike, did you ever graduate the Southern Police Institute ? Answer: NOPE

Mike, you are a COWARD, and a PEN WARRIOR, that talks a good game .. but you have never walked the walk.

You'd be like one of the 4 deputies that didn't go inside Douglas High School, to take care of business with an armed shooter.

Unregistered
    1. Mike, how many use of forces have you had in your 30 Year Career ? : Answer: ZERO

2. Mike, How many use of Firearms have you had in your 30 year career ? Answer: ZERO

3. Mike, How many Civil Disturbances have you been in both as (Deputy / Sheriff) in your 30 year career: Answer: ZERO

4. Mike, of your 30 years in law enforcement, how many did you spend in Patrol? Answer:3 years (motors )

7. Of your 30 years in law enforcement, you've been a Pen Warrior, but YOU, would be one of the 4 Deputies, at Douglas
    High School, that wouldn't have the intestinal fortitude to go inside that school, with an active shooter and take care of
    business.

You're a COWARD, that hides behind your badge and you TALK a Great Game but You have NEVER walked the talk !

This is ridiculously spot on. The same description applies to the majority of the idiots in the hallway as well. The hallway tough guys sure do look like bad boys standing next to each other (with their hands folded in front of them) during the press releases in which they showcase everyone else's hard work as though it's their own.

Unregistered
    This is ridiculously spot on. The same description applies to the majority of the idiots in the hallway as well. The hallway tough guys sure do look like bad boys standing next to each other (with their hands folded in front of them) during the press releases in which they showcase everyone else's hard work as though it's their own.
    You speak the truth ... like when Mike, was walking Sievers ( whom was handcuffed ) @ 10-19, with a million deputies around him just in case Sievers acted up, and Mike, shows Sievers to the back of the squad car like he had done anything to put Sievers in jail ... what a Coward !!!!

And the little midget the above applies to him ... I hear that he was a ticket cop that got his A** handled to him while issuing a citation in NY .. yeah real combat savvy leadership here ...

Unregistered
    Then go challenge them, bet you won’t

Unregistered
    Someone sounds jealous again. BBB

Unregistered
    Pen warrior !!!!!!!!

Unregistered

business.

and what have you one. you ***** coward, hiding behind a keyboard and ***** you don't even have a badge, a real one anyway, bye troll

Unregistered
    LMAO ... the talk of a " PEN " Warrior ... his 30 years of law enforcement thesis:

1. Mike, how many years did you spend in Patrol answering calls for service, in those 30 years : Answer: 3

2. Mike, how many uses of force have you had in those 30 years: Answer: ZERO

3. Mike, how many discharge of firearms have you had in those 30 years: Answer: ZERO

4. Mike, how many SWAT raids have you been on in those 30 years: Answer: ZERO

5. Mike, have you ever been shot at in the line of duty in those 30 years: Answer: ZERO

6. Mike, in those 30 years how many (Civil Disturbances ) have you been involved in ? Answer : ZERO

7. Mike, were you ever promoted to a supervisory rank ? Answer: NOPE, couldn't pass a promotional exam

8. Mike, did you ever graduate the Southern Police Institute ? Answer: NOPE

Mike, you are a COWARD, and a PEN WARRIOR, that talks a good game .. but you have never walked the walk.

You'd be like one of the 4 deputies that didn't go inside Douglas High School, to take care of business with an armed shooter.
    True Facts !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast