Pilot position - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pilot position

Unregistered
    I'm a Deputy/Pilot at a SO here in FL (not HCSO). I'm also a prior military helicopter pilot and instructor, so I'm doing a relatively similar job (except without all the moving every couple of years and months away from my family on deployments). I got into LE (and my agency) with the specific purpose of joining the air unit - that being said, I did time on the road, did an above average job at it, and really enjoyed it. My agency ended up holding a Pilot slot open for a few months to wait for me to hit the minimum road time requirement. Yes, other senior Deputies were pissed because they had all put in more time than me (some a LOT more time) and met all the minimum requirements when the opening posted, but I hold a ATP/CFII Helo certificate, so I was BY FAR the best qualified.

EVERY agency will, to some degree or another, pick favorites or show preference or bend rules to suit their needs (and yes, I benefitted from that). But there can be a legitimate or reasonable purpose for it in some instances ("ends justify the means"). I think the level of politics at HCSO represents another level of dysfunction (if the threads on this board are true), but it's also the way the world works in general - LE is no exception.

As a LE Pilot, you don't do a lot of real "police work." I can tell you that it's a lot easier to train a qualified pilot to be a Deputy than it is to train a Deputy to be a capable, proficient, instrument- and NVG-qualified helicopter pilot if your starting point is a PP-ASEL rating. It's also a sh!tload cheaper.

Personally, I think air units should hire pilots and put them through all the regular training up to FTO - maybe even an extended FTO. Also, we have Deputies from Patrol fly along all the time as Flight Officers, and when practical I even let them wiggle the sticks a little (shhh, don't tell anybody...), so it's not like you never get to experience the air unit without being selected as a Pilot. If HCSO doesn't do something similar, they should - it would go a long way to improve morale and interoperability between the air unit and patrol.

Loyalty is important (we're all one big family in the fight against crime and evil), but if you really want to improve your chances of getting into an air unit, go drop $75k on a Commercial/Instrument Helicopter rating with turbine transition.

Unregistered
    You can keep that shit. I’ll let the special boys do their special shit in their specialty spots. Been a grunt with boots on the ground my whole life, only way to live for me.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You can keep that shit. I’ll let the special boys do their special shit in their specialty spots. Been a grunt with boots on the ground my whole life, only way to live for me.
    You’ll “let” them do it?! How generous of you. As if you have a choice. You’re a bottom feeder so don’t pretend that’s what you really want. Your jealousy is hilarious!

Unregistered
    You’ll “let” them do it?! How generous of you. As if you have a choice. You’re a bottom feeder so don’t pretend that’s what you really want. Your jealousy is hilarious!
    Fu*k you. That’s the problem with you self entitled pricks. Treat patrol like garbage because you think you are better than people. See I have no problem fighting on the front lines, and I take pride in having boots on the ground, that doesn’t make me a bottom feeder. If the guy was a pilot and went through all the training, good for him, he can have it and he earned it, I got no problem with guys who go to their spots who are humble and deserving, what I got a problem with is the special boys who actually believe they are so special they ****ing treat us “bottom feeders” like garbage. I don’t let you do anything, you do what the fu*k you want but if you give me a bullsh1t attitude, I don’t care who you are or what position you hold, I’ll let you know to your face what the deal is.

Unregistered
    Is nt funny how hsd is a mess to include how they pick pilots, k9 handlers, marine etc etc. its nothing but a political appointmet under CC. Go look at the retired sgt now acting capt running the place. Another political pick and I ve heard he has ran that place in the ground to include SWAT. But that s the norm around here. I wont hold my breath in every making it in one of those positions. But hey if i gain 50 pounds and look like I am about bust out of my uniform then i too can go to Hsd. I wont say the unit but geez a certain cpl needs loose a few pounds. Bro step away from the buffett your embarrassing yourself.

Unregistered
    Fu*k you. That’s the problem with you self entitled pricks. Treat patrol like garbage because you think you are better than people. See I have no problem fighting on the front lines, and I take pride in having boots on the ground, that doesn’t make me a bottom feeder. If the guy was a pilot and went through all the training, good for him, he can have it and he earned it, I got no problem with guys who go to their spots who are humble and deserving, what I got a problem with is the special boys who actually believe they are so special they ****ing treat us “bottom feeders” like garbage. I don’t let you do anything, you do what the fu*k you want but if you give me a bullsh1t attitude, I don’t care who you are or what position you hold, I’ll let you know to your face what the deal is.
    What are you gonna do about it? Sit down and shut up. Nobody cares what you think, what you like or don’t like. You’re a nobody around here. Just take the next runaway or baker act call, write your report and go home to mommy so she can listen to you whine about how hard it is to be a failure in your career.

Unregistered
    Let it go bro. They dont care. We are “bottom feeders”. Pawns they just get rid of off the game board to make a path for the big fancy pieces. Thats why they dispatch us to goat ropes and paper calls 5 min before we are supposed to go home for years at a time and other small things like that that over time add up. They dont care about burn out, stress, or our mental health in general. No one looks out for us front lines and they fire us on the spot to make it look like they keep everyone on a short leash while the brass get away with DUI’s, screwing other staff, physically fighting, and so on. Best thing to do is focus on a career change. I know, Iknow. Politics exist everywhere. However, the way i see is this... If I risk my ass and put my life on the line, then look out for me and spare me of the kindergarden politics. If i work in the private sector and my life is not on the line, then bring on the politics. Not both HCSO. Not both. Show some loyalty.

Unregistered
    Here is a good one. Working a zone alone for weeks or months at a time. Zones that are mandated to have two units minimum. How is that issue not a top priority? Oh wait. Car decals, hats, promotions... Those come first. Thats is why moral is dead.

Unregistered
    Here is a good one. Working a zone alone for weeks or months at a time. Zones that are mandated to have two units minimum. How is that issue not a top priority? Oh wait. Car decals, hats, promotions... Those come first. Thats is why moral is dead.
    If it was soooooo bad, then you would find somewhere else to work. Don't give us that crap about being stuck in this job. Go work for Grady Judd since you want to kneel before him anyway like he's the messiah of crime fighting. Just a lot of talk and a badge. You get pushed around and intimidated on calls don't you?

Unregistered
    If it was soooooo bad, then you would find somewhere else to work. Don't give us that crap about being stuck in this job. Go work for Grady Judd since you want to kneel before him anyway like he's the messiah of crime fighting. Just a lot of talk and a badge. You get pushed around and intimidated on calls don't you?
    Lol that’s always the comment, if you don’t like it go somewhere else, you do realize that a lot of the people who don’t like it are leaving right, FBI, TPD, other agencies, private sector, attrition is high and recruiting can’t keep up, you ass h0les are going to be saying if you don’t like it go somewhere else right up to the breaking point of this agency.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast