North Port police chief candidates set for meet and greet Feb. 26 5:30-7:30 pM - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    COP WATCH INTERVIEWS FLORIDA POLICE CHIEF CANDIDATES,I ASK ABOUT COP WATCH,CAMERAS & DOGS https://youtu.be/flFhIPkzBPw

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    so what's the incentive for him to come here short term???????
    Better Pay but what the hell. He is a COP's COP so it will be great!!!!!

Unregistered
    Better Pay but what the hell. He is a COP's COP so it will be great!!!!!
    endorsed by Capt M and the good old boyz club. Better pay but what about his retirement, checks out early and he takes a hit, he openly states he plans to be a short term chief, so where is the benefit. Being in the profession, they are all a cops cop, well except for the NYSP inspector, so do we pick another dinosaur and just continue on or do we pick a real chief who is going to make our present dinosaurs extinct and bring this dept into the 21st century...Same old or something new,,, we will see howe Lear decided. So far his decision making abilities has been questionable to say the least......

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

If not Turner, then who?

Turner was my choice coming in... with Kopy being a close second. However, after the meet n greet.. my opinion changed. I think Turner is the most likeable of the bunch. I bet he would be fun to kick back with. I raised the age concern that many of you lefted, he had a sound albeit spongey answer referring to average Chief tenures and he is there as long as City Hall wanted him to serve. Fair and adequat answer but I didnt feel the fire in him that I expected. He mentioned he was friends with vespia and that was concerning for me. I know it is probably unfair but it is what it is. i really liked others better.

Backer (aka Clark Kent) is a very sharp cookie. I like him very much. He seemed the most excited about the opportunity to raise his children in North Port. He proactively spoke to CIT Team training and the importance of investing in ongoing training. I would NOT be disappointed if he became our Chief but I think he would be an excellent Assistant Chief and be invaluable to the new Chief in redressing our weaknesses. They definitely compliment one another.

Kopy on the other hand was very thorough and clear on accountability. I am certain he is not one of the boyz. He seem knowledgeable and no nonsense. He has some very spcialized training and exposure to needs of larger populations. As North Port grows, we are going to need a Chief that plans and adpats to where we are headed. He just felt like the right fit for me.

I know they have many other hoops to jump through than just resumes and 3 minute chats with the public.

Pete has a veery tough decision.

Unregistered
    endorsed by Capt M and the good old boyz club. Better pay but what about his retirement, checks out early and he takes a hit, he openly states he plans to be a short term chief, so where is the benefit. Being in the profession, they are all a cops cop, well except for the NYSP inspector, so do we pick another dinosaur and just continue on or do we pick a real chief who is going to make our present dinosaurs extinct and bring this dept into the 21st century...Same old or something new,,, we will see howe Lear decided. So far his decision making abilities has been questionable to say the least......
    I know Chief Turner I think you would really like him.

Unregistered

cops cop..

the average" life" of a Chief ( and City Manager for that matter ) in Florida is 3 - 5 years. Turner won't be a short term chief.
    I too personally know Chief Turner. Just give any of us a call at Brooksville PD. Talk with any Officer on duty. Get the facts. Ask " why would Chief Turner leave Brooksville ? " Research. The City of Brooksville is going broke. Currently in talks ( as recently as Feb 26 ) with Sheriff to take over police services. Chief Turner is fighting hard against that, but fact is, City is going broke due to mismanagement by City Leaders for years. We are ALL looking for new positions elsewhere.
    Chief Turner truly cares about his Officers and his department. A progressive Chief. IF given the chance he'll do a great job for you all.

Unregistered
    the average" life" of a Chief ( and City Manager for that matter ) in Florida is 3 - 5 years. Turner won't be a short term chief.
    I too personally know Chief Turner. Just give any of us a call at Brooksville PD. Talk with any Officer on duty. Get the facts. Ask " why would Chief Turner leave Brooksville ? " Research. The City of Brooksville is going broke. Currently in talks ( as recently as Feb 26 ) with Sheriff to take over police services. Chief Turner is fighting hard against that, but fact is, City is going broke due to mismanagement by City Leaders for years. We are ALL looking for new positions elsewhere.
    Chief Turner truly cares about his Officers and his department. A progressive Chief. IF given the chance he'll do a great job for you all.
    If you have read this forum you would realize this place is in a downward spiral, Turner has publically stated he is a short term chief as reported in a local newspaper. He is also quoted as saying he would be training his replacement, which would be a certain Captain who is a major factor in this downward spiral. He can be the best chief in the world, but short term and training his replacement is NOT what this dept needs. City is growing and leaps and bounds and we lost 24 officers just this year so we need a long term progressive chief who will support the rank and file, not the select certain few. We don't need a short term chief who will bring his department with him when he is hired. Sorry but the problems run too deep here and we need someone who can manage a large department and what transpires within the walls of the pink castle (PD).

Unregistered
    Turner will say one thing and do another to get ahead is what I hear from others who worked with him at LBK and BPD. Watch your back because he will stab you to satisfy the city manager.

Unregistered
    Turner will say one thing and do another to get ahead is what I hear from others who worked with him at LBK and BPD. Watch your back because he will stab you to satisfy the city manager.
    That's BS!

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Advantage of short term..

There are advantages of a Chief being here only 3 - 5 years. Namely, he doesnt have to.worry about long term tenure and kissing asses.. he can do what is needed. I hear the worry that in 3 years Chris would be heir apparent. if he gets his education and learns different ways from Chief Kharma. Maybe he will deserve a shot... if he lasts under new admin. I still.suspect that we will lose most if not all current Admin. If I were made Chief with full responsibility of turning it around, I want fresh eyes and untainted opinions around me.

I think no.matter where we land of the 4 candidates.. I didn't see any who.i wouldn't be happy with.

y'all are gonna miss me when.i get to move on and start putting my world back together =)

30 days and counting..

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast