North Port police chief candidates set for meet and greet Feb. 26 5:30-7:30 pM
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

HERE IS YOURE CHANCE TO ASK ABOUT BODY CAMERAS,CAR CAMERAS,COURT CAMERAS,COP WATCH,COMMUNITY REVIEW BOARDS.STOPING THE WAR ON THE SHEEPLE,STOP THE WAR ON DRUGS,STOP THE POLICEING FOR PROFIT,GET RID OF THE DOGS THERE USEING TO ILLEGALLY MAUL PEOPLE .ETC ETC

North Port police chief candidates set for meet and greet

By LAUREN COFFEY

STAFF WRITER

NORTH PORT — As Police Chief Kevin Vespia gets ready to retire in the next month, the city is preparing to fill his role.

The city will offer a meet and greet event for residents to speak with the four final police chief candidates for Vespia’s spot. The event will be held Monday, Feb. 26 between 5:30-7:30 p.m. in Commission Chambers at City Hall, 4970 City Hall Blvd.

“It’s something that’s done pretty frequently,” North Port Police spokesperson Josh Taylor said. “We are up for being vetted and seeing how they view community policing, their philosophy....everyone is different. It’s important how they approach it and it’s important for the public to see what it is and get their input.”

The meet-and-greet will be informal and allow residents to ask the potential new chief any questions.

“There will be an opportunity to interact, it wont be ‘here’s your opportunity to look through glass,’” Taylor said. “There will be potential to ask questions (through) mingling.”

The final candidate chosen will shadow Vespia during his last few weeks in the position. His last day will be March 31.

The four candidates are:

• Shawn Backer Work experience: Current Coral Springs deputy chief since 2014.

Was previously captain of community involvement in Coral Springs from 2012 to 2013. Has been in the industry since 2005, most recently as patrol lieutenant from 2010 to 2012 and held various investigative and patrol positions as sergeant from 2005 to 2010.

Education: Graduated with a master’s degree in criminal justice from Florida Atlantic University. Graduated from the 266th Session of the FBI National Academy.

• Michael Kopy Work experience: internal affairs staff inspector for New York State Police since 2013.

Been in the industry since 1986, most recently as a major of for Troop K Pough-keepsie from 2010 to 2013 and major of Troop NYC from 2007 to 2010.

Education: Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from Pace University Other: is a certified human resources counselor

• Gregory Purden

Work experience: operational services commander for Brevard County Sheriff’s Office since 2014.

Been in the industry since 2007, most recently as a commander of various bureaus from 2010 to 2014.

Education: Bachelor’s degree in general studies with major course work in criminal justice from Columbia College of Missouri, graduate of the 242nd Session of the FBI National Academy and the 39th Session of the Southern Police Institute Command Officers Develop-ment Course Other: Also served as a SWAT team commander

• George Turner

Work experience: Police chief in Brooksville, Fla., since 2007. Has been in the industry since 1976, most recently as a captain in Longboat Key from 2001 to 2007 and a captain in Ulster, N.Y. from 1990 to 2000 Education: Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from Empire State College and a graduate of the 193rd Session of the FBI National Academy

Email: lcoffey@sun-herald.com

BACKER

PURDEN

TURNER

KOPY

Unregistered

What can I say Where's the best candidates???????

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    HERE IS YOURE CHANCE TO ASK ABOUT BODY CAMERAS,CAR CAMERAS,COURT CAMERAS,COP WATCH,COMMUNITY REVIEW BOARDS.STOPING THE WAR ON THE SHEEPLE,STOP THE WAR ON DRUGS,STOP THE POLICEING FOR PROFIT,GET RID OF THE DOGS THERE USEING TO ILLEGALLY MAUL PEOPLE .ETC ETC

North Port police chief candidates set for meet and greet

By LAUREN COFFEY

STAFF WRITER

NORTH PORT — As Police Chief Kevin Vespia gets ready to retire in the next month, the city is preparing to fill his role.

The city will offer a meet and greet event for residents to speak with the four final police chief candidates for Vespia’s spot. The event will be held Monday, Feb. 26 between 5:30-7:30 p.m. in Commission Chambers at City Hall, 4970 City Hall Blvd.

“It’s something that’s done pretty frequently,” North Port Police spokesperson Josh Taylor said. “We are up for being vetted and seeing how they view community policing, their philosophy....everyone is different. It’s important how they approach it and it’s important for the public to see what it is and get their input.”

The meet-and-greet will be informal and allow residents to ask the potential new chief any questions.

“There will be an opportunity to interact, it wont be ‘here’s your opportunity to look through glass,’” Taylor said. “There will be potential to ask questions (through) mingling.”

The final candidate chosen will shadow Vespia during his last few weeks in the position. His last day will be March 31.

The four candidates are:

• Shawn Backer Work experience: Current Coral Springs deputy chief since 2014.

Was previously captain of community involvement in Coral Springs from 2012 to 2013. Has been in the industry since 2005, most recently as patrol lieutenant from 2010 to 2012 and held various investigative and patrol positions as sergeant from 2005 to 2010.

Education: Graduated with a master’s degree in criminal justice from Florida Atlantic University. Graduated from the 266th Session of the FBI National Academy.

• Michael Kopy Work experience: internal affairs staff inspector for New York State Police since 2013.

Been in the industry since 1986, most recently as a major of for Troop K Pough-keepsie from 2010 to 2013 and major of Troop NYC from 2007 to 2010.

Education: Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from Pace University Other: is a certified human resources counselor

• Gregory Purden

Work experience: operational services commander for Brevard County Sheriff’s Office since 2014.

Been in the industry since 2007, most recently as a commander of various bureaus from 2010 to 2014.

Education: Bachelor’s degree in general studies with major course work in criminal justice from Columbia College of Missouri, graduate of the 242nd Session of the FBI National Academy and the 39th Session of the Southern Police Institute Command Officers Develop-ment Course Other: Also served as a SWAT team commander

• George Turner

Work experience: Police chief in Brooksville, Fla., since 2007. Has been in the industry since 1976, most recently as a captain in Longboat Key from 2001 to 2007 and a captain in Ulster, N.Y. from 1990 to 2000 Education: Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from Empire State College and a graduate of the 193rd Session of the FBI National Academy

Email: lcoffey@sun-herald.com

BACKER

PURDEN

TURNER

KOPY
    out of all the candidates that were previously listed , this is what is left !!!!
    Lets see if I got this right
    Becker seems to have enough qualifications, has the command experience and experience as city cop.

Kopy-- He is a staff inspector, IA for NYSP after serving as various troop commander positions. If anyone knows anything about the NYSP, they are regiment orientated, brainwashed to believe they are the very best and yet they have a tremendous amount of serious internal incidents. They pride themselves of keeping things in house. They have a very great PR system that deflects questions of internal problems. City policing is a whole different world, its not running up and down the highway chasing speeders. Although an experienced IA chief would clean house, those who attain the rank of Captain, and inspector in the NYSP are headhunters and tend to distance themselves from the citizens they protect, and the officers they work with. Probably not a good choice. NY state laws are totally different than Fla laws, I don't believe he is Fla certified, He has zero Fla law enforcement experience.
    Purden--on line degree, only been a deputy for ten years and is only a commander. Really does not have the command experience to turn this place around. Again as in Inspector Kopy case, zero city police experience, which is a whole different world than a deputy.

Turner, been in the business forty years, (21 to be a cop in NYS, so he's what at least 61yo or older) that's near retirement age, educated thru on line school in New York. Been a chief for 10 years. First, I think this would be the candidate they would pick if they wanted Morales in short time. He most likely is retirement age. He has the experience, but is he just putting in his time. Empire state college is a NYS sponsored on line college, reputable but easy. Our rocking chair candidate. Not what you would consider a modern day thinking progressive Police Chief.

First whoever put together this article was intentionally trying to mislead us. None the less, where did the really qualified candidates go???? Why were they eliminated? It certainly was not the pay and bennies. I think as citizens we need to know who exactly applied and why the ones not listed above are not being considered. Well we cannot even fill the open commander positions and now I suspect Lear has rigged the process. He wants a go along to get along candidate so sometime in the near future, Morales can become chief. Its not like the ever tell us the truth !!!!! I fail to believe this is the best they came up with on a nationwide search. This reeks of business as usual in NP !!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is only my opinion, you can do the research and form your own but this does reek as being fixed and that he (Lear) has already eliminated the best choices to bring this department into this century.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Captain

Finalist Resumes link

My understanding is that 4 of the original 6 found other positions or their agencies made counter offers to keep the men at their current dept.

I posted the actual Resumes of the Chief finalists on NPCC

I like the idea of a Chief with broad professional experience. I loved his introduction and I especially liked the theme of his recommendation letters that spoke to honesty and integrity. Add to this he was appointd by Gov Scott to be a Commissioner on the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission so I suspect he is respected and knowledgeable.

That said, i can see other strengths in other candidates.. so lets vet and choose the best of the bunch. =)
    Last edited by Stephanie Gibson; 02-21-2018 at 03:52 AM.

Unregistered
    Turner is a serial applicant, he is not what we need, he is a Chief of a small podunk department that is being taken over by Citrus County. He is not even loyal to Brooksville just Google how many Cities he has applied to and they have not picked this Senior Citizen. For God's sake Bradenton didn't even pick him and that is saying something! We also don't need another backdoor Chief, who will protect our certain Captain!
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...istmas/2158462 #METOO

We should really consider the NY State Inspector, he is an outsider who can change our culture!

Unregistered
    Turner is a serial applicant, he is not what we need, he is a Chief of a small podunk department that is being taken over by Citrus County. He is not even loyal to Brooksville just Google how many Cities he has applied to and they have not picked this Senior Citizen. For God's sake Bradenton didn't even pick him and that is saying something! We also don't need another backdoor Chief, who will protect our certain Captain!

We should really consider the NY State Inspector, he is an outsider who can change our culture!
    the position of staff inspector in the NYSP is an appointed position from within the ranks, the position of inspector in the internal affair division is not a pristine job. I know several career troopers who retired rather than take that job, basically its a hit list job, sort of what is occurring now. You are appointed at the discretion of the governor and superintendent, sound familiar !!!!To boot this man is not now and has never been florida LEO, he is not familiar with our statutes and laws, he is not even Florida certified, this should have been a requirement. He would take months to be certified and I believe he can hold no authority until such time he goes to school and takes the test, which is not easy anymore. No, let him stay in NY. He is probably making near 200K in NY, plus a car plus outstanding bennies, why would he want to come here???. He is a paid hatchet man

SHT story on Chief Applicants

Sarasota Herald story on the 4 Chief Applicants

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20...-public-monday

Unregistered

Taken over by Citrus County?? Where did you get this inside scoop? Some members of the Brooksville City Council have mentioned this, as have other cities throughout Florida over the years. Although being discussed, is not likely to happen in Brooksville. In fact, the last time it game up years ago, the citizens of the city actually recalled the city commissioners who suggested and were pushing for this. I seriously doubt the tax payers have had a change of heart. By all accounts, they like the quicker response times and more personal service than they would get with a green and white. I personally like a Chief who is going to step up when it appears as though one of his staff is being railroaded by over zealous deputies. Like he said, let the SAO decide if criminal charges are warranted and not just arrest on PC on a he said, she said minor altercation. I will support whoever the manager selects but I think George Turner is the best candidate to hire and allow him to then groom someone to take over when he is ready to retire. 61 is not old, it will be here before you know it ladies and gentlemen. An Inspector from the New York State Police IS NOT the answer.

Unregistered
    Taken over by Citrus County?? Where did you get this inside scoop? Some members of the Brooksville City Council have mentioned this, as have other cities throughout Florida over the years. Although being discussed, is not likely to happen in Brooksville. In fact, the last time it game up years ago, the citizens of the city actually recalled the city commissioners who suggested and were pushing for this. I seriously doubt the tax payers have had a change of heart. By all accounts, they like the quicker response times and more personal service than they would get with a green and white. I personally like a Chief who is going to step up when it appears as though one of his staff is being railroaded by over zealous deputies. Like he said, let the SAO decide if criminal charges are warranted and not just arrest on PC on a he said, she said minor altercation. I will support whoever the manager selects but I think George Turner is the best candidate to hire and allow him to then groom someone to take over when he is ready to retire. 61 is not old, it will be here before you know it ladies and gentlemen. An Inspector from the New York State Police IS NOT the answer.
    That's nice that he stepped up over a minor infraction, but that certainly does not make him qualified to be chief of the NPPD. An interim chief would be a lame duck chief, this is what we do not need. I find it suspicious that in the fall we had all these excellent candidates and that the city manager did not follow thru with the process and instead stalled this process and now we are left with these four candidates. I suspect this was intentional on Lears part. Turner would be the best fit for Lear and Morales. But he would certainly NOT be the best fit for this department. If Turner is appointed this will be the back door approach to making Morales Chief. Does Lear think he can pull one over on us???? Turner can stay at Mayberry, NYSP internal affairs inspector can stay in NY he is not even qualified to apply. Our best bet for a actual real police chief is the coral gables asst chief, he seems to have the best qualifications of this applicant pool. We need a real police chief, one who is actually florida qualified who can come in here, hit the ground running and bring this dept back, Turner would be a lame duck, Morales would be more of the same lies and deceit we are experiencing now. Lets do the right thing here. Its been a long time coming and needs to be done right the first time.

i think a Chief should go to the mat for their officers.. he didnt exonerate and try to sweep it under a rug. Gotta love that.

My top two are the NY inspector.and Turner but that is from a layman's perspective that is.seeking honor truth and integrity.. I would assume they all meet that standard at a minimum.. I think a hard nose no nonsense inspector has appeal.as well but again that is my outside "Law n Order" perspective of it.

I am leaning towards Turner between the two because he is familiar.with Florida laws and policies. Those who dismissing him because of his age should consider how well the last young inexperienced one worked out for us.

Mostly I pray for Lear to make a wise choice that serves the best interest.of the citizenry and the rank n file officers.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast