This is why u need body cameras,deputys lost the evidence,in the paper 2 day
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unregistered

This is why u need body cameras,deputys lost the evidence,in the paper 2 day

THIS IS WHY U NEED BODY CAMERAS,DEPUTYS LOST THE EVIDENCE

SUNSHINE LAW REQUEST 4 IA REPORT IN THE PAPER,THIS IS WHY U NEED BODY CAMERAS

THIS IS WHY CHARLOTTE COUNTY,SHERIFF NEEDS BODY CAMERAS,THEY LOST THE EVIDENCE https://youtu.be/RcKhlnXSuPU

Report: Cops lose meth during drug arrest

By ANNE EASKER

STAFF WRITER

Four members of the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office were disciplined last month after losing track of the meth needed as evidence in an October drug arrest.

A person of interest had to be let go and charges were dropped as a result, according to an internal affairs investigation.

The incident occurred on Oct. 21, 2017.

Sgt. Richard Kaufman stopped a 2000 Chevrolet van on Starlite Boulevard Lane and Gatewood Avenue in Port Charlotte at 2:40 a.m. Two males and two females were inside. The driver did not have his license, and Kaufman asked him to get out of the van.

Deputy Michael Talbot approached and had the other three people get

out of the van and stand on the sidewalk while the driver deputies checked the driver for warrants. Kaufman asked for consent to search the van, but the driver declined.

His license came back as suspended, and he had warrants out of Sarasota County for failure to appear and grand theft, according to the report.

Kaufman told Talbot he would have a detective come work the case. Kaufman searched the driver for contraband and found nothing. A female deputy came to pat down the female occupants, and found nothing. Inside the van, deputies found a waxy substance which tested positive for THC.

When Detective Timothy Knopick and Detective David Cox arrived, the other man

from the van was thoroughly searched. A cellphone, a pack of cigarettes, and a syringe were found. Inside the cigarette pack was a small baggie with about 1 to 1.5 grams of suspected methamphetamine, according to the report.

Inside one of the female’s backpacks, which deputies found in the rear of the van, officers found a syringe and a spoon. The syringe did not test positive for controlled substances and there were no marks on the spoon. There was not enough evidence to arrest the females, so Sgt. Kaufman asked Talbot if they were free to go. The two collected their bags and clothing and quickly walked away.

Kaufman stayed on scene to deal with the tow truck for the van, while the female deputy drove the two males to the jail. The rest of them went back to the office for evidence and paperwork.

But when everyone got to the Mid-County Office, they realized no one had the evidence.

Kaufman drove back to the scene and searched, and Talbot circled several blocks to see if the meth fell off a vehicle. Kaufman tried to find the women from the van, to see if they took the evidence, but couldn’t find them. Deputies searched the van at Prompt Towing, but found nothing.

They also looked in the trash outside the Mid-County Office, where Detective Cox had disposed of a few items from his vehicle, including a positive Narco 923 test kit with a portion of a syringe still inside it. That was a violation of procedures since the syringe was not disposed of in a sharps container. They decided to hold onto the syringe so they could charge the male with drug paraphernalia; however, they later realized the needle didn’t belong to him.

When the Watch Commander was notified, he said the suspect would have to be brought back from the jail and released.

An internal affairs investigation determined the evidence had been left in an unattended paper bag, which one of the females used to put her clothing in. Interviewed at the jail in December, she said she later found the test kit, a syringe, and some meth in the bag.

The four CCSO members were interviewed multiple times but never recollected the exact details of the incident. All agreed communication had been very poor.

Sgt. Kaufman claimed he directed Deputy Talbot to keep the evidence, but Talbot said he was never told, and Detective Cox told him to begin working on his supplement at the scene. Detective Knopick, despite being the case agent, never checked with anyone about who had collected the evidence, according to his statement. Detective Cox said he had just wanted to get home.

“I’m going to be honest, I was trying to rush to get out of there,” Cox stated. “It was my son’s championship game and I had to be in Immokalee by 6:30 a.m.”

Sgt. Kaufman and Detective Cox both were found to be in neglect of duty and violating official procedures. Deputy Talbot and Detective Knopick also was found to be in violation of officials procedures.

CCSO did not respond to a Sun inquiry Thursday as to how the four were disciplined. The Records Department was still processing the request by the end of the business day Friday.

Email: aeasker@sun-herald.com

Help admin

Enough

Andrew Sheets has even hijacked this sight can you block him

Unregistered
    why u dont want other cops 2 no about youre disgusting corruption?

Unregistered

Lost Evidence & Comment to try to ban a person who commented

This is the first time I've seen this site. I had already read the article in the paper about the "lost" evidence from an arrest that occurred last year. Then I read a comment that about this being a good reason for CCSO to have car and body cams. Then I read a comment that someone wants the person to be banned from the site. What is the purpose of this site? Who runs it? Is it open to the public? If so, why would a citizen's comments be banned? I have read some of this person's posts on other sites, and I do believe he could be a little more civil and articulate with comments, but this seems to be his style. Is this an open forum?

I think it's good to have the public know about the good and bad of law enforcement. I believe the public wants good and fair law enforcement -- good quality. I believe CCSO would be a better group with cameras. Sheriff Prummell has commented previously (in a public forum during campaign season) that cameras would cost too much money due to cost of storage. I believe there would be at least equal benefit to CCSO and the public to have cameras. I believe if money is an issue that costs could be cut in other areas to make cameras affordable.

Not having been on this forum before, I don't know whether I will see a response to my comment or not. I've given my opinion, so whatever is said or done now will be.

Unregistered
    Maybe our steroid trafficking unit took it to trade it for more steroids. We are the f-in keystone cops. Enough is Enough!

Unregistered
    James white has been paid leave 4 4mths because hes under investigation by fdle for steroids is the tip we got in.
    Then they did a emergency memo to every one that he was busted,we think it was also to tell every one to get clean for the dug test

Unregistered
    We are a cutting edge agency. You can work here traffic drugs and still get paid for four months.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are a cutting edge agency. You can work here traffic drugs and still get paid for four months.
    I think you forget a lot of other things that certain people can do here. I will start the list.

1. Teach courses and still get paid by Sheriff and the Agency you are teaching.

2. Do 3 hours a day in actual work and 5 hours a day keeping up with all the gossip.

3. Name the game that has to be played to get ahead?

Unregistered
    We are the used car lot of Sheriff's Offices. Big Billy's Bargain Basement Used Sheriff's Office. No down payment!

Criminal history?...we don't care,
    Traffic steroids?...considered it overlooked,
    Are you a Sheriff who screwed your employ's wife?...no problem we can keep you and your buddies stay in office,
    Lose evidence?...we got ya covered,
    Fired from another agency?...we will hire ya!
    Involved in a training murder? Hey we can overlook that. We will even make a spot for you.
    Have you been investigated at your last agency for double dipping at the academy while on the clock? Hell... noooo problem!...come on over and do our staff inspections! We will pay you six figures to work 5 hours a day!

Big Billy takes all kinds of criminals and gets them PAID PAID PAID!

Best of all Big Billy never does anything to bother you while you break the law!
    Come on down to Big Billy's for a real special job and forgiving place to work.

(Not responsible for divorce or sexually transmitted diseases)

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are the used car lot of Sheriff's Offices. Big Billy's Bargain Basement Used Sheriff's Office. No down payment!

Criminal history?...we don't care,
    Traffic steroids?...considered it overlooked,
    Are you a Sheriff who screwed your employ's wife?...no problem we can keep you and your buddies stay in office,
    Lose evidence?...we got ya covered,
    Fired from another agency?...we will hire ya!
    Involved in a training murder? Hey we can overlook that. We will even make a spot for you.
    Have you been investigated at your last agency for double dipping at the academy while on the clock? Hell... noooo problem!...come on over and do our staff inspections! We will pay you six figures to work 5 hours a day!

Big Billy takes all kinds of criminals and gets them PAID PAID PAID!

Best of all Big Billy never does anything to bother you while you break the law!
    Come on down to Big Billy's for a real special job and forgiving place to work.

(Not responsible for divorce or sexually transmitted diseases)
    Big Billy will also hire your family members but remember we are a tobacca free facility. Trailor Trash encouraged to apply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast