Politics Rules Performance Doesn’t - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You are clearly experiencing a severe emotional crisis. Because of your paranoid delusions, you may not feel comfortable seeking help through the Employee Assistance Program. You may not seek help through EAP, but please seek help somewhere.
    No one mentioned any delusions. I was talking about statistics amongst police officers. Taught in academies nation wide.

Unregistered
    Question since you said you were excited about CC changes he is going to make. Why heck has he not already started and please don’t tell me because of the chief. If your going to be the man in charge then take charge son. Why would you openly tell people that you wont make changes until the chief leaves since he is your mentor n u dont want to offend him. Grow a pair dude and do what you think is right. This agency is in shambles and its not just patrol. Let ne throw out a few. How about better more pratical uniforms, bigger patrol cars like tahoes ie Pinellas county SO, up minimum hours of ot for court from 2 to 3, offer ot to fill some of the many open zones, just a few n iam sure others have many more.

Unregistered
    Question since you said you were excited about CC changes he is going to make. Why heck has he not already started and please don’t tell me because of the chief. If your going to be the man in charge then take charge son. Why would you openly tell people that you wont make changes until the chief leaves since he is your mentor n u dont want to offend him. Grow a pair dude and do what you think is right. This agency is in shambles and its not just patrol. Let ne throw out a few. How about better more pratical uniforms, bigger patrol cars like tahoes ie Pinellas county SO, up minimum hours of ot for court from 2 to 3, offer ot to fill some of the many open zones, just a few n iam sure others have many more.
    No competent leader would take over and then burn the place down on day 1. Gradual improvements with sound decision-making and research will benefit us much further down the road than emotional decisions made on a whim. I suspect the Sheriff doesn't want to rock the boat too much during his one year appointment. I imagine he will be more comfortable to make more profound improvements once he has been elected into the position by the voters.

Despite all of the negativity towards the Chief (and I'll admit I once felt the same), he does a great job running the agency from a business perspective. I used to drink the kool-aid about how horrible he supposedly was, but once you gain some maturity and understand his role, the negative feelings subside. His worries relate to legal liability and lawsuit settlements/pay outs, insane health insurance premiums, compensation packages, etc... Many decisions made at that level and from that perspective are not always understood by the lower ranks, primarily because the lower ranks don't want to understand a different perspective.

I think we could agree, if your job satisfaction and morale is limited to the type/color of uniform you wear and vehicle you drive, then you will never be happy here or anywhere else. There's so much more to this career than worrying about the little stuff. Would the Explorer or Tahoe be nice to have? Sure. Can the agency afford to spend the extra money on purchasing them, purchasing all the police equipment to outfit them, maintenance, and installing gun racks or window bars around the entire rear to secure it? I don't have that answer, but I suspect the Chief does.

As for minimum hours of OT for court, you need to review the SOP. You get drive time to/from court up to 30 minutes each direction plus actual time in court, but there is no minimum. That equates to about a two hour minimum simply due to the drive time for most at the agency, but it isn't policy. If you want to nickle and dime them for another $30 at the occasional court appearance, be prepared for additional budget constraints that will impact you elsewhere to pay for it.

We are blessed simply to have annual step raises, and even more lucky the command staff have increased each step over the recent years. I'll take the extra pay and limited insurance premium increases (HCSO eats that expense, BTW) and have to drive a (gasp) brand new Dodge Charger instead of a Tahoe. I don't recall the last time I paid for gas in that vehicle. I think I'll make it...

If you want to drive a Tahoe, take the $10,000-$15,000 pay cut and go work at Pinellas. If you want zone partners, go to TPD and pay the 14% into your pension instead of 3%. I'll stick it out here because it seems the Sheriff and Colonel Davis are putting this ship back on course. Let them work.

Unregistered
    No competent leader would take over and then burn the place down on day 1. Gradual improvements with sound decision-making and research will benefit us much further down the road than emotional decisions made on a whim.

*** UMMMMM, YOU DO KNOW WHO THE CHEIF IS, RIGHT??? TALK ABOUT EMOTIONAL DECISIONS MADE ON A WHIM --- ALL HIS DECISIONS MADE ON A WHIM DURING THE MID TO LATE 2000'S ARE STILL NEGATIVELY AFFECTING US TODAY***

And, as for making decisions that will benefit the agency in the long run for years to come, when the office continues to alienate the patrol deputies, the results last 25 - 30 years. The last thing this office does is make "calculated decisions to bring improvement for years to come."

It's been said before in this thread, "The typical complainer on this site focuses on 'me me me' and 'now now now', rather than understanding concepts of strategic planning that will keep employing you whiners for years to come." --- Yet what this describes is the decision makers at this office. They focus on "fear, fear, fear," and "favors, favors, favors" rather than understanding concepts of strategic employee satisfaction that will keep employing satisfied representatives of the Sheriff, for years to come.

You also stated "Despite all of the negativity towards the Chief (and I'll admit I once felt the same), he does a great job running the agency from a business perspective."

That is probably the biggest handicap holding this agency back from becoming great. WE ARE NOT A BUSINESS!!!! But even if we were, a business with dissatisfied employees (dissatisfied representatives of the Sheriff) means dissatisfied customers.

Unregistered
    *** UMMMMM, YOU DO KNOW WHO THE CHEIF IS, RIGHT??? TALK ABOUT EMOTIONAL DECISIONS MADE ON A WHIM --- ALL HIS DECISIONS MADE ON A WHIM DURING THE MID TO LATE 2000'S ARE STILL NEGATIVELY AFFECTING US TODAY***

And, as for making decisions that will benefit the agency in the long run for years to come, when the office continues to alienate the patrol deputies, the results last 25 - 30 years. The last thing this office does is make "calculated decisions to bring improvement for years to come."

It's been said before in this thread, "The typical complainer on this site focuses on 'me me me' and 'now now now', rather than understanding concepts of strategic planning that will keep employing you whiners for years to come." --- Yet what this describes is the decision makers at this office. They focus on "fear, fear, fear," and "favors, favors, favors" rather than understanding concepts of strategic employee satisfaction that will keep employing satisfied representatives of the Sheriff, for years to come.

You also stated "Despite all of the negativity towards the Chief (and I'll admit I once felt the same), he does a great job running the agency from a business perspective."

That is probably the biggest handicap holding this agency back from becoming great. WE ARE NOT A BUSINESS!!!! But even if we were, a business with dissatisfied employees (dissatisfied representatives of the Sheriff) means dissatisfied customers.
    I agree with this. There is nothing more to add. Many, if not everyone, I work with would agree. They are just too scared to speak up.

Unregistered
    I agree with this. There is nothing more to add. Many, if not everyone, I work with would agree. They are just too scared to speak up.

Sheriff C.C., Chief J.D., Colonel K.D.......can you hear this? Most, if not all, of your deputies agree. The ball is in your court...

Unregistered
    It's not that patrol is a "nightmare." That's not it at all. Helping people is what we love to do. However, the "nightmare" is working your ass off year after year, decade after decade, and seeing people who are friends with or related to the Chief, lesbians, minorities, etc., who haven't put a fraction of the work in that you have, getting the transfers and/or promotions.

It's being lied to for years or decades, being told if you do such and such, if your stats reflect such and such, you will have preference in the transfers.

It's the office not having your back when sppit hits the fan. It's having the Chief announce on television that a deputy is guilty of something before an investigation takes place (kinda like FBI director Comey wrote the pardon for Hillary Clinton before an investigation took place), just 2 examples of that -- The wheelchair incident in the jail (Charlotte), and the Barely Used Auto Parts incident...

It's being forced to write reports for non-law enforcement related incidents (a conservative estimate would be that at least 80% of our documentation and investigating has nothing to do with laws being broken). It's running around all day long with absolutely no break what so ever (A 12 hour shift was never meant to be balls to the walls for 12+ hours every day, every month, every year). It's getting a 3 hour goat rope call(not including drive time to impound evidence and other administrative tasks required to be done before you log off) 30 minutes before you log off. And on top of that, the 3 hour goat rope you just got, once again, has nothing to do with a criminal statute being violated. But we must CYA because "what if..." Well gotdayum son, what if the world ended tomorrow....jiminee friggin christmas

There's so much buullsppit that happens mostly to patrol deputies then can be mentioned here, but these are part of the everyday life on patrol. Recently though, with the renistatment of afternoon the deputies, we are beginning to see a little bit of relief. And, for that I thank you C.C.
    The wheelchair incident and the Barely Used Auto Parts incident were both about ten years ago. Anything new and relevant? Nope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12