Real Union
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real Union

Unregistered

Real Union

The Sarasota PD just voted out the PBA and voted in The International Union of Police Associations (IUPA). Take a look at their brochure. (Post link to brochure)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cil29xrcc2...chure.pdf?dl=0

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The Sarasota PD just voted out the PBA and voted in The International Union of Police Associations (IUPA). Take a look at their brochure. (Post link to brochure)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cil29xrcc2...chure.pdf?dl=0
    UNION? I wish... what can I do to help?

Unregistered
    My heart goes out to Deputy Ferguson and her loss in the brutal house fire. I heard the International Union of Police Associations stood tall and donated $10,000.

Unregistered
    UNION? I wish... what can I do to help?
    Has anyone called this guy on the iupa brochure? Jeff Edmiston 941-350-9170

Unregistered

weakest link

I can tell you from personal experience that it makes no difference what organization represents a group of employees, it is the employees themselves that determine the effectiveness of the organization. This is coming from experience. Be it the PBA, IUPA, FOP, Teamsters etc, if only a small percentage of the covered employees join the union and then of that small number ZERO show up to meetings and/or negotiation sessions, ANY organization will fail. We had the PBA and a group of deputies that committed career suicide by organizing and sitting across the table from the management and the high priced FSA employment attorney. These deputies never had any of the 300+ deputies in the audience during negotiation sessions. Unfortunately there are always those that don't pay the dues but get same benefits as those that do. You'll always the a$$ki$$ers putting information out to the rank and file to counter what the union is trying to do. As an example, one of the ways that the unioin was decertified was because there was information sent out that if the union was disbanded, we'd get more money. If these rats that got the union decertified had EVER attended a negotiation session, they'd have seen that the increase in salary we eventually got was a mirror image of what the union proposed. So an increase in salary was obtained but at a loss to vacation time being counted as work hours for overtime computation and a change in the career service board. More money less protections. Again the union is only as strong as its weakest link, the employees.

Unregistered
    I can tell you from personal experience that it makes no difference what organization represents a group of employees, it is the employees themselves that determine the effectiveness of the organization. This is coming from experience. Be it the PBA, IUPA, FOP, Teamsters etc, if only a small percentage of the covered employees join the union and then of that small number ZERO show up to meetings and/or negotiation sessions, ANY organization will fail. We had the PBA and a group of deputies that committed career suicide by organizing and sitting across the table from the management and the high priced FSA employment attorney. These deputies never had any of the 300+ deputies in the audience during negotiation sessions. Unfortunately there are always those that don't pay the dues but get same benefits as those that do. You'll always the a$$ki$$ers putting information out to the rank and file to counter what the union is trying to do. As an example, one of the ways that the unioin was decertified was because there was information sent out that if the union was disbanded, we'd get more money. If these rats that got the union decertified had EVER attended a negotiation session, they'd have seen that the increase in salary we eventually got was a mirror image of what the union proposed. So an increase in salary was obtained but at a loss to vacation time being counted as work hours for overtime computation and a change in the career service board. More money less protections. Again the union is only as strong as its weakest link, the employees.
    I am pro union for the SSO. Period.

Knight has gotten rid of ALL the Balkwill people -- and Knight has already promoted 10 jillion people -- so Knight's method of using "promotions as rewards" is going to be forced to be slowed down. When a new [honorable] sheriff is elected, then there won't be 10 jillion "reward promotions."

Ideally, someone who isn't interested in getting promoted is best suited for running a union because he can't be threatened with being held-back from a promotion.

A union codifies rights -- in writing -- forever. Conversely, the general orders are a joke because they can be changed by Knight or Hoffman or the administration on a dime (unless the union codifies the good GO's).

A union won't save everyone, but it forces a more level playing field.

It takes years to build unionized contractual rights. But it's worth it in the end. The first 4 years is the hardest.

Unregistered
    The reason that we will never have a chance is because we the infighting that takes place. The backstabbing and the ass kissing. We will never be united and that is the way the Sheriff and the Col. like it. Think about this the next time you 56 with someone and they start talking bad about what another deputy did. That is why we will always be behind. We just need to support each other. We someone strong from the outside who isn't scared of the admin to come in face the them on our behalf, but we also need to support the cause and become a team.

Unregistered
    In the beginning, Knight had his political tentacles stretched throughout the agency. He has been a master manipulator. He develops internal political CI's who report back to his henchmen (or directly to Knight). However, it appears that Knight has lost a great deal of his internal credibility because... well... you can fill in the blank on that one.

The reason that we will never have a chance is because of the infighting that takes place. The backstabbing and the ass kissing. We will never be united and that is the way the Sheriff and the Col. like it.
    The backstabbing and ass kissing is human nature. You'll never get rid of that and it happens inside Knight's staff too. It's not relegated just to patrol or the jail or courts or wherever.

We will never be united and that is the way the Sheriff and the Col. like it.
    Knight has his minions who do his bidding and he rewards them by promoting them. I was specifically asked to help break-up the last union and I was told that Knight would reward me handsomely for it (or words to that effect).

We need someone who is strong, from the outside, who isn't scared of the admin, to come in and face them on our behalf, but we also need to support "the cause" and become a team.
    Yep, that's true. That's the role of a union. But we also need strong leadership from someone who understand Knight's horribly vindictive behavior... someone who can dodge Knight's directed attacks by internal third parties who are desperate to get promoted...

Knight is a mirror image of Terry Lewis, but even TL wasn't stupid enough (or angry enough) to openly defy a circuit court judge. That's the temperament that we're dealing with. If you become a "union man" and then if you get a false complaint from an angry citizen... then you will be on Knight's political hit list... so exactly what do you think IA is going to do with the documented (false) complaint against you? They will sustain it. Poor you. It is frankly very dangerous and is potentially career suicide.

Unregistered
    We are like one of three Sheriffs Department that is non-union in the entire state of Florida. Knight's a bully and we need someone to stand up to the bully. I'm for the union!!!

Unregistered
    We are like one of three Sheriffs Department that is non-union in the entire state of Florida. Knight's a bully and we need someone to stand up to the bully. I'm for the union!!!
    Chief Judge Charles Williams stood up to Knight and beat him. However, he's a judge and he has the power of the judiciary and the law on his side. Anyways, I agree with you. We need a union to stand up to the bully.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast