+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55
 
  1. #1
    Unregistered
    Guest

    FHP will Never be disbanded

    Stop suggesting it. It won’t happen. It’s never even come close to being disbanded.

    Black and Tan is here to stay!

  2. #2
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Scott tried to disband FHP back in 2011. The idea died down really fast because the sheriffs won't be able handle the burden.

    http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/F...124616184.html

  3. #3
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Scott tried to disband FHP back in 2011. The idea died down really fast because the sheriffs won't be able handle the burden.

    http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/F...124616184.html
    Of course the Sheriffs blocked it. For one the committee was headed up by Sheriffs and two they can use FHP for free and now have to devote any man power to it. Its a win win for them..

  4. #4
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Actually FHP was disbanded once in its history, it was brought back the next year but don't think it can't happen.

    In Florida FHP really has only one function and that is traffic, it is a function that can be easily taken over by the 67 sheriff's through out Florida.

  5. #5
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Actually FHP was disbanded once in its history, it was brought back the next year but don't think it can't happen.
    Most states formed their state patrols (and state police) between 1910 and 1940. As such, the state patrols are legislatively created and are not constitutionally based, which means that it would take a legislative act to disband a state patrol. The Florida Sheriffs' Association would never support the abolition of FHP because then sheriffs' would have to work all those crashes, without being reimbursed by the State. As such, it is more cost-effective for sheriffs' to retain FHP.

  6. #6
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Most states formed their state patrols (and state police) between 1910 and 1940. As such, the state patrols are legislatively created and are not constitutionally based, which means that it would take a legislative act to disband a state patrol. The Florida Sheriffs' Association would never support the abolition of FHP because then sheriffs' would have to work all those crashes, without being reimbursed by the State. As such, it is more cost-effective for sheriffs' to retain FHP.
    They were also against limiting FHP jurisdiction to state highways because the sheriffs would be forced to work the majority of the crashes in their county.

    http://flhsmv.gov/LECTaskForce/Juris...hwayPatrol.pdf

  7. #7
    Unregistered
    Guest
    They should just dish out FHP’s budget equally amongst the 67 counties. Leave a Trooper for each of those counties for a day and night shift. Basically 134 Troopers per each county. They would be responsible for fatals only.

  8. #8
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    They should just dish out FHP’s budget equally amongst the 67 counties. Leave a Trooper for each of those counties for a day and night shift. Basically 134 Troopers per each county. They would be responsible for fatals only.
    Sorry, 134 Troopers total in the state not each county. We need a post edit feature here ☺️

  9. #9
    Unregistered
    Guest
    Get rid of FHP for a year and see if it works out for the state. I'm pretty sure the sheriffs can handle the burden working all the crashes in their counties and writing tickets, right?

    Back then, the sheriffs in Pinellas and Polk were so gung ho about getting FHP out and doing their job "faster and cheaper".

  10. #10
    Unregistered
    Guest
    That is funny. With the new TRACS system, I AM POSITIVE that they would have the accident written, the ticket issued and the vehicles towed before the first state roadie showed up. If someone with a half a brain actually took a serious minute to evaulate that situation, you guys would be disbanded in a heartbeat. Don't think that you guys are super special just because they brainwash you in that super trooper academy up in Tallahassee. We have public service officers that do the work that you guys do and they are not even sworn officers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •