FHP will Never be disbanded - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I have notice many more articles and news reports of troopers handling crimes occurring on the highways such as aggravated assaults/battery, domestic violence, robbery, etc. And, they should. Just as the counties should work crashes on the county roads and local streets. The SO's have come a long ways. The Florida Sheriffs Bureau, the precursor of FDLE, was created to help sheriffs investigate serious crimes. Most large SOs can do that on their own now.

Same with traffic. If it is still the same, Orange County SO uses traffic crash stats to get funding for their motor units, but will they work a crash? No.
    Its pretty sad that since its so rare that FHP does anything outside of 316 or 320 that they have to write an article about it..

Unregistered

Lightbulb Not the fault of the Trooper

Right but 90% of the calls a road trooper will do is crash reports and or traffic related stuff.
    I doubt working all crashes is what most road troopers want to be doing. Due to the high volume, negotiations with, and flat out refusal of some local agencies to work them, FHP is forced by statute to respond to and work them.

As for the traffic related stuff, that's FHP's mandate as well. FHP is a traffic law enforcement agency created to specifically target and enforce the states many traffic laws. Just as many other Highway Patrols do in their respective states.

I'm not really sure what people are arguing here. If it's that FHP could be disbanded, sure it could. I don't think it's in the states or various counties best interest, but it could be done. But let's be honest, so could every other police force.

Unregistered
    I doubt working all crashes is what most road troopers want to be doing. Due to the high volume, negotiations with, and flat out refusal of some local agencies to work them, FHP is forced by statute to respond to and work them.

As for the traffic related stuff, that's FHP's mandate as well. FHP is a traffic law enforcement agency created to specifically target and enforce the states many traffic laws. Just as many other Highway Patrols do in their respective states.

I'm not really sure what people are arguing here. If it's that FHP could be disbanded, sure it could. I don't think it's in the states or various counties best interest, but it could be done. But let's be honest, so could every other police force.
    No a sheriff's office cannot be disbanded without a constitutional amendment and a vote by the citizens.

Unregistered
    My point, was a response to the a$$hat that stated he works all these ag assaults, robbery calls, burglaries, rapes etc etc. FHP works crashes. And as an earlier poster said, a citizen volunteer or PSA can do that. As they already do for many SO’s.
    I do work all these... and crashes... just like SO's majority of calls are just reports and forwarded to a specialized unit or detective... but every once in a while they get some action... same here. Just because you're useless doesn't mean everyone else is... maybe you should be a PSA... although most PSA are hard working individuals with common sense. You wouldn't fit in.

Unregistered
    I do work all these... and crashes... just like SO's majority of calls are just reports and forwarded to a specialized unit or detective... but every once in a while they get some action... same here. Just because you're useless doesn't mean everyone else is... maybe you should be a PSA... although most PSA are hard working individuals with common sense. You wouldn't fit in.
    I promise if you work in TROOP D, E,F, or L you rarely if EVER will work any of the listed crimes. You 10-65 Sig 4..

Unregistered
    You are a liar! 🤥 my job cannot be done by a PSA. I’m an ACTUAL cop....

Unregistered
    FHP goes to sexual batteries and robberies now, interestin. Are you sure you didn't watch too much Alaska State Troopers?

Unregistered

Many PD and SO cannot be disbanded. How do you manage disbanding Tampa PD or Hillsborough SO, Miami PD or Miami Dade PD, Orlando PD or Orange Cty SO, St Pete PD or Pinellas SO? Good luck with that!

I think in Sarasota County a couple years ago they were talking about the SO taking over Venice with the local PD disappearing, that didn't even happen. VPD renegotiated a better contract through their union, SSO will not take over the jurisdiction.

The only places you could see some agencies going out is in rural FL, like DeSoto Cty SO taking over Arcadia PD in the town for example, such things could happen but that's about it imo.

Unregistered
    Many PD and SO cannot be disbanded. How do you manage disbanding Tampa PD or Hillsborough SO, Miami PD or Miami Dade PD, Orlando PD or Orange Cty SO, St Pete PD or Pinellas SO? Good luck with that!

I think in Sarasota County a couple years ago they were talking about the SO taking over Venice with the local PD disappearing, that didn't even happen. VPD renegotiated a better contract through their union, SSO will not take over the jurisdiction.

The only places you could see some agencies going out is in rural FL, like DeSoto Cty SO taking over Arcadia PD in the town for example, such things could happen but that's about it imo.
    You rocket scientists need to stick to crash reports. A SO CANNOT be “disbanded” without a modification to the state constitution. A PD is a whole different thing. The sheriff is a constitutional officer. Geez

Unregistered
    You rocket scientists need to stick to crash reports. A SO CANNOT be “disbanded” without a modification to the state constitution. A PD is a whole different thing. The sheriff is a constitutional officer. Geez
    CLOSE sparky, the modification would have to be at the county level. Look at Jacksonville and Miami-Dade what they did with their SO.. But other than that your comment was spot on!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast