RIP Deputy Dean Bardes

Unregistered

RIP Deputy Dean Bardes

Lee County deputy who was beaten on I-75 dies in Cape Coral from apparent cardiac arrest

MELISSA MONTOYA, MMONTOYA@NEWS-PRESS.COM Published 5:02 p.m. ET Jan. 3, 2018 | Updated 6:01 p.m. ET Jan. 3, 2018
    A Lee County sheriff's deputy who was beaten by a man on Interstate 75 about 13 months ago has died.

Cape Coral Police Department officials said they found Deputy Dean Bardes dead in his home Tuesday. He was 48.

He died from apparent cardiac arrest, according to the police department.

In November 2016, Bardes was confronted by a man on I-75 and beaten to the ground. Bardes was helping the Florida Highway Patrol on another crash when he was almost struck by a vehicle driven by 53-year-old Edward Strother.

Bardes chased Strother in his vehicle and the two exited their cars near the Corkscrew Road off-ramp when the confrontation escalated.

More: Man who targeted, attacked deputy identified in I-75 shooting

Ashad Russell, a Lehigh Acres man, came to the defense of Bardes by firing his own gun at Strother and killing him.

Bardes was 47 years old at the time of the I-75 altercation.

He was hired by the sheriff's office on Aug. 9, 2004 as a corrections officer. He served in the U.S. Air Force for three months and was discharged for knee pain.

More: Lehigh Acres man cleared in I-75 fatal shooting case

Bardes received a number of letters commending his service with the sheriff's office. Supervisors noted early in Bardes' career that he acted cautiously and second-guessed himself during arrests, however he was always respectful of the public.

"We at the Lee County Sheriff's Officer are saddened by the passing of Deputy Dean Bardes," said Tony Schall, a spokesman for LCSO. "Deputy Bardes served the citizens of Lee County for 14 years with honor and dignity. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the Bardes family."

Unregistered
    Whoever posted this should have their ass whooped. Your disgusting!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    The quoted post was deleted and the poster of it banned.

Yeah **** you dude. There's some things you don't do and shit talking a Deputy who passed away is one of them.
    Last edited by MOD 1; 02-05-2018 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Remove Quoted Post