Considering a job with DOC

Unregistered

Considering a job with DOC

I'm a retired cop and considering a job on the prison side of the house. I welcome any and all comments/advice. Thank you in advance.

Unregistered
    Horrible, your better off going to the County. You will make more money, have more respect etc.... Think about your last career in Law Enforcement. You probably had experienced people at the top. Well, we have the former head of DMV running the 3rd largest prison system. However, she's never worked in any correctional setting. Now if you have a 4 year degree your can work on the Community Corrections side. Its even worse. Its headed up by someone with no experience at all, she was a real estate agent. She has never worked in any capacity of Law Enforcement and is truly embarrassing.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Horrible, your better off going to the County. You will make more money, have more respect etc.... Think about your last career in Law Enforcement. You probably had experienced people at the top. Well, we have the former head of DMV running the 3rd largest prison system. However, she's never worked in any correctional setting. Now if you have a 4 year degree your can work on the Community Corrections side. Its even worse. Its headed up by someone with no experience at all, she was a real estate agent. She has never worked in any capacity of Law Enforcement and is truly embarrassing.

I agree. Stay far away from FDC, it sucks bad. The pay is horrible and the leadership is worse. Our secretary would rather give tablets to inmates then officers. When someone brought up about the pay disparity she stated nobody told her. The environment is toxic and all people talk about is either leaving or retiring. Stick with a county sheriffs office which his run mostly by males while FDC is run by female.

Unregistered
    I agree. Stay far away from FDC, it sucks bad. The pay is horrible and the leadership is worse. Our secretary would rather give tablets to inmates then officers. When someone brought up about the pay disparity she stated nobody told her. The environment is toxic and all people talk about is either leaving or retiring. Stick with a county sheriffs office which his run mostly by males while FDC is run by female.
    Julie Jones has no business running FDCO. ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS!! She wants to micromanage the 60 prisons and don't know diddley shit Wardens have had their nuts cut off and have to get permission for 99% of their decisions. Total bull shat.

Unregistered

thanks

Julie Jones has no business running FDCO. ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS!! She wants to micromanage the 60 prisons and don't know diddley shit Wardens have had their nuts cut off and have to get permission for 99% of their decisions. Total bull shat.
    I appreciate all the comments and advice. Maybe I'll reconsider. Thanks again to all.

Unregistered
    Don't work here, you will hate it.

Apply as a correctional officer for the Federal Bureau of Prisons.

Starting pay is at $40,511 to $53,702 per year.

Unregistered
    Probably a very good idea. With a new Governor coming this place will be cleaned from top down. JJ has been here just to collect a check we all know that. The future with FDC doesn't look very bright. I highly doubt Community Corrections will even be part of the Prison. It might be worse, and Nimer has been there for over a decade. (no excuses lady) go back to selling timeshares. PLEASE what ever happens fire all of them. start new

Unregistered
    I agree. Community Corrections has never been worse. You have a psycho CA that is a control freaks who yells and screams at her supervisors, treats her DCA like a dog, keeps officers chained to their desks, takes away a lot of flex time (the only perk we have) She needs a psych eval and should be removed from her position. No newcomers are talking about making doc a career, all they talk about is going to a better paying jobs while the old timers only talk about retirement. The job and department sucks.

Unregistered
    Whats really bad is that it wasn't always this way. At least in Community Corrections. Those of us that have a long time in can remember when we were actually competitive with local leo, great benefits and you made your own schedule. We actually made a difference in the community. Public safety really did come first. Now all we do is sit at our desks and try to keep a computer happy so Administrators can lie to the Legislatures about low recidivist rates. At least on the Prison side your Governor knows who your are and what you do. I don't think he even knows we exist. Thanks Nimer you have done such a great job.

Unregistered
    Whats really bad is that it wasn't always this way. At least in Community Corrections. Those of us that have a long time in can remember when we were actually competitive with local leo, great benefits and you made your own schedule. We actually made a difference in the community. Public safety really did come first. Now all we do is sit at our desks and try to keep a computer happy so Administrators can lie to the Legislatures about low recidivist rates. At least on the Prison side your Governor knows who your are and what you do. I don't think he even knows we exist. Thanks Nimer you have done such a great job.
    And JJ will respond that this is the first time she heard of this. I guess she thinks she is still at DMV. Community Corrections has never been worse and it will continue to go down as the experienced officers retire and they new officers move on to better paying jobs. Instead of paying better, trying to keep young officers on board they just run 10 academies a year, hire new officers for 2 years, they quit and the cycle continues but eventually its going to bite them in the butt. On the clerical side, we used to have six clerical in our office and are now down to two and one is getting ready to retire. You can't pay these folks slave wages, work them to death and expect to keep them.