Reserves
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reserves

Unregistered

Reserves

I've searched through and did not find many threads about the reserves with useful information. Most are old so figured I would start a new one just to get some basics answered.

Is application process the same as full-time? Any reimbursement for certification costs?

Are reserves assigned a zone or do they just float around wherever?

Minimum hours per month?

Are you assigned a vehicle or do you have to check one out each time you go 10-8?

Unregistered
    Your best bet is to get hired full time, do as much time as you want full time (Min of one year), then retire or drop to R1 status... This way all of your training is paid for...

Unregistered

Reserves

Is application process the same as full-time? Any reimbursement for certification costs?

Yes, process is the exact same. If accepted as a reserve officer all of your training, uniforms and equipment will be provided free of charge. Any expense incurred during your application and training (parking, mileage reimbursement , meals/per-diem, HCC Basic LE academy) will be reimbursed by the city.

You basically just sign on, float around and do whatever you want to do. If you make arrangements ahead of time you can go up with air service as a flight observer, out on the water with the marine unit or, if you have a current motorcycle endorsement, team up with a motor officer and work traffic for the day. If you just want to work patrol and take calls you just log on and tell radio what sector and zone you want or just tell them you want to be a float car and go where you want.

Minimum hours per month?

Without a take home car you have to do five hours a month and that can be easily done working any of the off duty gigs you want while making cash money. If you want your own assigned take home car you’ll have to put in at least ten hours a month. Again, easily done by working one traffic detail at a Bucs game.

Are you assigned a vehicle or do you have to check one out each time you go 10-8?

Fleet car to sign out or take home, see above. Good luck with the process.

Unregistered
    Kudos to you for this great response. The reserve program at TP seems a lot better than other departments I must say. I assume for a take-home car you must live within Hillsborough county if a reserve. I live in Pasco and see TPD cars parked at toll plazas along the Suncoast...

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Yes, process is the exact same. If accepted as a reserve officer all of your training, uniforms and equipment will be provided free of charge. Any expense incurred during your application and training (parking, mileage reimbursement , meals/per-diem, HCC Basic LE academy) will be reimbursed by the city.

You basically just sign on, float around and do whatever you want to do. If you make arrangements ahead of time you can go up with air service as a flight observer, out on the water with the marine unit or, if you have a current motorcycle endorsement, team up with a motor officer and work traffic for the day. If you just want to work patrol and take calls you just log on and tell radio what sector and zone you want or just tell them you want to be a float car and go where you want.

Minimum hours per month?

Without a take home car you have to do five hours a month and that can be easily done working any of the off duty gigs you want while making cash money. If you want your own assigned take home car you’ll have to put in at least ten hours a month. Again, easily done by working one traffic detail at a Bucs game.

Fleet car to sign out or take home, see above. Good luck with the process.

Unregistered
    You have to pass a drug test first. I do not know any TPD reserves that have a priviledge of the use of a take home car. If you are considered a Reserve One (prior LEO experience), you can go to a District Office and check out a vehicle if there is one available. The car situation here at TPD is a laugh. If your car breaks down or is in for service, usually full time officers cant even find a vehicle to drive so good luck finding a vehicle unless your a retired Liuetenant who hides a car that he uses at radio. So remember, you have to pass that drug test first.

Unregistered
    You have to pass a drug test first. I do not know any TPD reserves that have a priviledge of the use of a take home car. If you are considered a Reserve One (prior LEO experience), you can go to a District Office and check out a vehicle if there is one available. The car situation here at TPD is a laugh. If your car breaks down or is in for service, usually full time officers cant even find a vehicle to drive so good luck finding a vehicle unless your a retired Liuetenant who hides a car that he uses at radio. So remember, you have to pass that drug test first.
    Wouldn't have any issue with a drug test. Conflicting information on the car situation to say the least...

Unregistered
    Reserves don't get a take home car. They don't even ride by themselves cause most are not former full time officers. The reserve FTO program barely teaches you anything..... so in short, go full time.

Unregistered
    Reserves don't get a take home car. They don't even ride by themselves cause most are not former full time officers. The reserve FTO program barely teaches you anything..... so in short, go full time.
    I do not need nor want full-time commitment. When I was 20 I had an interest in being a LEO but I also had recently started a company. Fast forward and I recently sold that company and am very secure financially. With the flexibility I have I would think being a reserve would be worthwhile.

Would it be better to be a reserve in Pasco (where I currently reside) and then after 1-2 years transfer to TPD?

Unregistered
    Theres no such thing as a transfer. You'd be quitting PCSO and starting all over again in Tampa. You'd be going back through holdover and the abbreviated field training program again.

Unregistered
    Theres no such thing as a transfer. You'd be quitting PCSO and starting all over again in Tampa. You'd be going back through holdover and the abbreviated field training program again.
    Then what is the point of being a reserve? Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast