Calls we should not be responding to
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

Calls we should not be responding to

I’ll start.

1. Traffic crashes with no injuries. The crashes with injuries we should respond to as a first responder, until EMS arrives. All traffic crashes should be document by the insurance companies only. An exception could be made if the deputy witnesses an accident and one of the drivers commits a crime. In that case, cite or arrest the driver for the crime that the deputy witnessed (DWLS, Reckless), then allow the insurance companies to document the traffic crash.

2. Fraudulent returns at department stores. If your company allows someone to get cash/gift cards by returning items without a receipt, then your company bears the blame for that. Don’t turn around and call us when you find out that the customer took the items off your shelf and then YOU decided to give them cash for it. That’s YOUR fault, and that is CIVIL. What a waste of tax payers money when we have to investigate/document these civil incidents.

Feel free to ad your suggestions.

Unregistered
    Best thread ever.

Any crime where the victim did absolutly nothing to prevent it like a typical sheep.
    No more responding to...
    1. Any unlocked vehicle burglary.
    2. Any construction theft where appliances were taken from homes with no doors or locks installed yet. Plus no lights, fences, or hired security.
    3. SHOPLIFTING calls where LPO’s refuse to deter with uniformed security guards at the doors checking recipts. Instead they sit back, let the thefts happen, and record it all with no deterence or prevention. And pull us off the streets.
    4. 380’s investigations should be for full blown spousal abuse only, not all these moronic related by blood, dating, and other drunken waste of time calls.
    5. 730’s need to go back to DCF. CID juvenil section should respond directly if DCF finds that a case is founded. Not patrol. Ever.
    6. Crashes should be investigated only if death or injury, totaled or towed cars, damage to property, hit and run, dui. Nothing else.

Unregistered
    What a bunch of cry babies we have become at this agency. They just gave us back the short form... and with the ability to swipe DL's or input tag numbers to prefil, the short form literally takes 3 minutes to complete. Stop being a little b****.

Unregistered

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    What a bunch of cry babies we have become at this agency. They just gave us back the short form... and with the ability to swipe DL's or input tag numbers to prefil, the short form literally takes 3 minutes to complete. Stop being a little b****.

If you don't like deputies being a "b***" (striving for more efficient ways to better serve the citizens, and make the work environment safer and more productive), then YOU CAN ALWAYS QUIT and go work elsewhere.

Ironic, isn't it?

Unregistered
    Your waisting your breath since its obvious its a golden palace puppet with no clue of how bad things are.

Unregistered
    If you don't like deputies being a "b***" (striving for more efficient ways to better serve the citizens, and make the work environment safer and more productive), then YOU CAN ALWAYS QUIT and go work elsewhere.

Ironic, isn't it?

ROFL! That was great!

Damn they hate it when you give them a taste of their own medicine.

Unregistered
    If you work for a man, in heaven's name, work for him.
    If he pays you wages which supply you bread and butter, work for him; speak
    well of him; stand by him, and by the institution he represents.
    If put to a pinch, an ounce of loyalty is worth a pound of cleverness.
    If you must vilify, condemn and eternally find disparage -- resign your
    position, and when you are outside, damn to your heart's content...
    but, as long as you are part of the institution do not condemn it.
    If you do that, you are loosening the tendrils that are holding you to the
    institution, and at the first high wind that comes along, you will
    be uprooted and blown away, and probably will never know the reason Why.

Unregistered
    There are lots of calls that we wish we didn't have to go to, but we are going to go to regardless. There's no point in making a wishlist. We will go to 911 hangups and unlocked burglaries and so on and so forth. Let's talk about realistic calls we shouldn't go to.

Reckless Drivers: Unless it is a suspected DUI or dangerous driving, and someone is following, we should not go. Dangerous driving is not the driver not wearing a seatbelt or them changing lanes on the interstate without using a turn signal. If the caller is not following it is generally impossible to locate that car. In the five minutes it takes to get there the car can be six miles away at highway speed.

Non-violent domestics: What the hell? I recently spoke to a Pasco County deputy who looked at me like I was crazy when I explained what a 382 was. I'm sorry, people argue. I am not a licensed marriage counselor. I deal with crimes. Going to mediate an argument does nothing to prevent a future battery if one is going to occur. We can't make people leave their houses for no reason.

Non-verified residential alarms: Lets get on board with the rest of the nation. If the alarm isn't verified and there isn't a keyholder we should not go. I can count on one hand with fingers to spare for the number of legit residential alarms I've been to in a long career.

Unlocked vehicle burglaries: I lied, I'm going to talk about them. The Crime Scene Tech program was one of the best ideas the HCSO had in a while. So naturally they got rid of it. I think these should be taken over the telephone and a CST sent to process the vehicle later (with a deputy for a NS and video if need be), but I didn't even mind going to them when someone could dust and swab while I wrote the report.

Mentally Ill persons/Juvenile trouble involving kids whose age is a single digit: Be a goddamned parent. The end.

Non-injury crashes on the Interstate system and state roads: I'm sorry you had to wait an hour or more for a trooper. Please direct all complaints to the Neil Kirkman Building at 2900 Apalachee Pkwy, Tallahassee, FL 32399 and/or your state representative and senator. FHP's staffing problem is not our problem. We have our own staffing problem. The reason there are no troopers in Hillsborough is because we and TPD pick up the slack. If we stopped the numbers would go up and they would allocate personnel to the problem.

Runway juveniles: If it is purely runaway and nothing suspicious it should be a phone report whether it is the first or the 50th time.

Suspicious anything: Unless it is actually suspicious we should not go. Being black is not suspicious. Sitting in a car in the parking lot of an open business is not suspicious. Fishing on a boat in a portion of the lake you think you own (but the person has access to per Florida law) is not suspicious.

Harassing phone calls: This should be a phone conversation. Both Apple and Android provide ways to block all phone calls, voice mails, and texts. Facebook and the rest of social media do as well. After the first time you never have to hear from a person again. If they find a way around it and take it to the next level then we can come out and take care of that person.

Shoplifting: I lied again. Sorry, if you're corporate policy is to do absolutely nothing for fear of a lawsuit then we will be happy to provide you with a call number over the phone. Florida law lets you make reasonable efforts to arrest a shoplifter. Hiring loss prevention or security. Add everything else related to fraud at a store where they make no effort to stop it.

Crashes in general: Follow state statute. If a long form isn't required by state law, let the drivers exchange information and make a driver report of crash as may be required. The state even has a webpage where the drivers can make the report online now. I'm not an insurance adjuster.

Neighbor trouble: Did your neighbor punch you? If so, see battery reporting procedures. Are you calling because you have an idiot neighbor? Did you consider you might be the idiot neighbor? We need to stop going to complaints that aren't crimes. We're the police.

Non-criminal complaints in general: We are not animal control, code enforcement, marriage counselors, therapists, public works, social workers, or any of the other myriad hats people seem to think we wear. If another agency refuses to go we need to stop picking up the slack for them. Let the voters turn the screws to that department. If there is not a public safety issue we need to stop wasting our time and energy and resources.

Assist other agency: I have no problem assisting another agency when it is legit. TPD refusing to literally drive across the street to take a 38 that happened in their jurisdiction is not a legit AOA. We need to learn to say no again.

Patrol supervisors and comm center supervisors need to learn to say no again.

Speaking of telephone calls, with a few exceptions here and there, I have never seen a group of people, CSAs and LDDs both, who work so hard to avoid working. Just take the damn report. Literally every call they are authorized to take is fill in the blanks. It is so easy. I wish all my calls were like that on the road.

I'm sure I missed stuff. Feel free to add onto it. I'm not trying to get out of work. I just want to do work that matters. Maybe then I will have time again for all the proactive stuff I used to love. Maybe then I will be happy like I used to be.

Unregistered
    Its not about getting out of work. Its about understanding us. If they see and fix the little things like calls, then then we feel understood and supported. It start with the little things. I feel that no one understands cops anymore. Starting with our command. Not the public, media, courts, no one. Its all negative feedback. In the end, I also stopped caring.

Unregistered
    There are lots of calls that we wish we didn't have to go to, but we are going to go to regardless. There's no point in making a wishlist. We will go to 911 hangups and unlocked burglaries and so on and so forth. Let's talk about realistic calls we shouldn't go to.

Reckless Drivers: Unless it is a suspected DUI or dangerous driving, and someone is following, we should not go. Dangerous driving is not the driver not wearing a seatbelt or them changing lanes on the interstate without using a turn signal. If the caller is not following it is generally impossible to locate that car. In the five minutes it takes to get there the car can be six miles away at highway speed.

Non-violent domestics: What the hell? I recently spoke to a Pasco County deputy who looked at me like I was crazy when I explained what a 382 was. I'm sorry, people argue. I am not a licensed marriage counselor. I deal with crimes. Going to mediate an argument does nothing to prevent a future battery if one is going to occur. We can't make people leave their houses for no reason.

Non-verified residential alarms: Lets get on board with the rest of the nation. If the alarm isn't verified and there isn't a keyholder we should not go. I can count on one hand with fingers to spare for the number of legit residential alarms I've been to in a long career.

Unlocked vehicle burglaries: I lied, I'm going to talk about them. The Crime Scene Tech program was one of the best ideas the HCSO had in a while. So naturally they got rid of it. I think these should be taken over the telephone and a CST sent to process the vehicle later (with a deputy for a NS and video if need be), but I didn't even mind going to them when someone could dust and swab while I wrote the report.

Mentally Ill persons/Juvenile trouble involving kids whose age is a single digit: Be a goddamned parent. The end.

Non-injury crashes on the Interstate system and state roads: I'm sorry you had to wait an hour or more for a trooper. Please direct all complaints to the Neil Kirkman Building at 2900 Apalachee Pkwy, Tallahassee, FL 32399 and/or your state representative and senator. FHP's staffing problem is not our problem. We have our own staffing problem. The reason there are no troopers in Hillsborough is because we and TPD pick up the slack. If we stopped the numbers would go up and they would allocate personnel to the problem.

Runway juveniles: If it is purely runaway and nothing suspicious it should be a phone report whether it is the first or the 50th time.

Suspicious anything: Unless it is actually suspicious we should not go. Being black is not suspicious. Sitting in a car in the parking lot of an open business is not suspicious. Fishing on a boat in a portion of the lake you think you own (but the person has access to per Florida law) is not suspicious.

Harassing phone calls: This should be a phone conversation. Both Apple and Android provide ways to block all phone calls, voice mails, and texts. Facebook and the rest of social media do as well. After the first time you never have to hear from a person again. If they find a way around it and take it to the next level then we can come out and take care of that person.

Shoplifting: I lied again. Sorry, if you're corporate policy is to do absolutely nothing for fear of a lawsuit then we will be happy to provide you with a call number over the phone. Florida law lets you make reasonable efforts to arrest a shoplifter. Hiring loss prevention or security. Add everything else related to fraud at a store where they make no effort to stop it.

Crashes in general: Follow state statute. If a long form isn't required by state law, let the drivers exchange information and make a driver report of crash as may be required. The state even has a webpage where the drivers can make the report online now. I'm not an insurance adjuster.

Neighbor trouble: Did your neighbor punch you? If so, see battery reporting procedures. Are you calling because you have an idiot neighbor? Did you consider you might be the idiot neighbor? We need to stop going to complaints that aren't crimes. We're the police.

Non-criminal complaints in general: We are not animal control, code enforcement, marriage counselors, therapists, public works, social workers, or any of the other myriad hats people seem to think we wear. If another agency refuses to go we need to stop picking up the slack for them. Let the voters turn the screws to that department. If there is not a public safety issue we need to stop wasting our time and energy and resources.

Assist other agency: I have no problem assisting another agency when it is legit. TPD refusing to literally drive across the street to take a 38 that happened in their jurisdiction is not a legit AOA. We need to learn to say no again.

Patrol supervisors and comm center supervisors need to learn to say no again.

Speaking of telephone calls, with a few exceptions here and there, I have never seen a group of people, CSAs and LDDs both, who work so hard to avoid working. Just take the damn report. Literally every call they are authorized to take is fill in the blanks. It is so easy. I wish all my calls were like that on the road.

I'm sure I missed stuff. Feel free to add onto it. I'm not trying to get out of work. I just want to do work that matters. Maybe then I will have time again for all the proactive stuff I used to love. Maybe then I will be happy like I used to be.
    VERY WELL SAID! Thank you!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast