FWC info

Thread: FWC info

Unregistered

FWC info

Hi,

I am considering applying with FWC. I already completed a law enforcement academy in FL and passed the state exam.

Does anyone know when they’ll be hiring certified again? Or is it the same application as non certified candidates?

Is the process faster for certified? It seems it can take 6 months and over for non certified!

When you make your list for the 3 counties will you be deployed to one of the sedated county or can they send you somewgere else? I would like Manatee, Sarasota top choice, and DeSoto or Hardee as a last pick.

No step plan like FHP correct?

How is the FTO program? For those working as sworn Officers for the agency how do you like it? Pros and cons? Any advice?

Thank you and be safe out there.

Unregistered
    I meant “listed county” not “sedated”

Unregistered

FWC info

Congrats on getting through the academy and passing the state exam! Just curious why you didn’t have an agency put you through instead of paying the expense yourself?

I am not sure when they will have the next certified academy but go ahead and submit both parts of your application now. There is a separate process for already sworn applicants. Our website spells it all out pretty well. There are 2 parts to the app so make sure you do both.

The academy for certified recruits is much much shorter, around 2 months. You just do what we call the breakout portion where you will learn FWC focused LE like vessel operations, man tracking in the woods, etc. aka the fun stuff!

It all depends on position openings in each county. If there is an opening in one of those counties you will likely get it. If there aren’t any openings than you will get assigned somewhere else that needs a position filled but you will know what county you would be assigned to in the conditional letter of employment. Keep in mind that the central and northern FL counties are hard to get into right out of the academy. I work in a southern county, where the activity is great, but our turnover to officers transferring to more northern counties is frustrating.

No step plan but the Gov has been good to us working in raises.

Just be invested in the process of FTO, take notes, show your interest in learning and you will get along with your trainer just fine. It is a lot of work for the training officer so they want to see that you are truly interested in doing the job and doing it well.

There are recruiters for each region. Check on the website for the recruiter in your area. They will be able to answer timeline questions.

Good luck!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Congrats on getting through the academy and passing the state exam! Just curious why you didn’t have an agency put you through instead of paying the expense yourself?

I am not sure when they will have the next certified academy but go ahead and submit both parts of your application now. There is a separate process for already sworn applicants. Our website spells it all out pretty well. There are 2 parts to the app so make sure you do both.

The academy for certified recruits is much much shorter, around 2 months. You just do what we call the breakout portion where you will learn FWC focused LE like vessel operations, man tracking in the woods, etc. aka the fun stuff!

It all depends on position openings in each county. If there is an opening in one of those counties you will likely get it. If there aren’t any openings than you will get assigned somewhere else that needs a position filled but you will know what county you would be assigned to in the conditional letter of employment. Keep in mind that the central and northern FL counties are hard to get into right out of the academy. I work in a southern county, where the activity is great, but our turnover to officers transferring to more northern counties is frustrating.

No step plan but the Gov has been good to us working in raises.

Just be invested in the process of FTO, take notes, show your interest in learning and you will get along with your trainer just fine. It is a lot of work for the training officer so they want to see that you are truly interested in doing the job and doing it well.

There are recruiters for each region. Check on the website for the recruiter in your area. They will be able to answer timeline questions.

Good luck!
    Thanks a lot for all the good info!

I was not sponsored to go to the academy because it's not easy in my area to get a sponsorship, I was eligible for some financial aid so I decided to go and be done with it.
    I checked the website and followed a link to "peoplefirst" but I couldn't find the posting for LE Officer with Fish and Games, only FHP Trooper. I will check again maybe I missed it....

I will get in touch with my recruiter, I would also like to participate in a ride along.

Again, thank you for your time I appreciate it. Stay safe!