Is FHP "that" bad - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Did mommy take your rifle away?!!! It's ok, go sit in the median and stop someone for a headlamp not working!
    That's my job.... Why don't you stop crying like a snowflake sissy and do your job. Maybe you can pull yourself up from the loser category.

Unregistered
    Let the numbers speak for themselves. Look at FHP’s ridiculously high turnover. FHP is short handed for a reason.
    Let the numbers speak for themselves. Look at FHP’s ridiculously high turnover. FHP is short handed for a reason.

Unregistered
    Although I currently live in Michigan, I was going to attend MSP academy after separating from the military but was accepted to U on M and wanted a degree. Anyways long story short I finish my degree in March and will be moving to FL in the summer as at this point in time I'm done with the snow and 19 degree winters. FHP caught my attention but after doing a little research and then coming to these boards I'm not sure if that's the right one. As cliche as it sounds I'm of the mindset it's all about how you approach things in life and the attitude you have going into those things...having said that when 9 of 10 topics are just clowning FHP I start to second guess myself. When I read posts of troopers or what appears to be troopers sandbag their own department on pay, shortage of personnel and lack of respect through other agencies and the community It's difficult not to take into consideration. Furthermore, it's tiring trying to weed out the trolling comments from the genuine ones, sometimes I read comments and then ask myself "It sounds like this person hates life, why are you even here" but who knows maybe they come here to vent, wife cheated on them, suck at there job, LT took there jelly doughnut, I don't know so I try and give them the benefit of the doubt.

So my questions are if you were in my position, not knowing much of the state but open to going anywhere is there a certain department/agency doesnt have to be FHP that peaks your interest (Pretend your single with no family in FL) that perhaps you've heard many good things about if so which. Also, like my topic says is FHP that bad, it sounds like the peak is an anthill and the valley is marianas trench but is this true or are they going through a rough patch at the moment Ive read the "Troopers leaving Pensacola post" but one can assume that those spots will be filled or perhaps not? where do you see FHP in 5 to 10 years? Any advice or question I should consider when making a decision would help

I appreciate your time
    Stay out of law enforcement all together. Their will never be any money in it. Especially in Florida. The state hates its employees.

Unregistered
    Stay out of law enforcement all together. Their will never be any money in it. Especially in Florida. The state hates its employees.

Floduh is a third world country. It is Congo with golf courses. You will be paid in sunshine. If you go into law enforcement you are out of your mind. You had better go back and do your homework. I know, you visited and had a great time. But it's different living here and trying to make ends meet. The traffic, the crime, the absolute contempt the public and politicians hold for police. Do your homework, and do it it right.

Unregistered
    The legislature has repeatedly made it more difficult to work for and retire from the state.

Tnumber of years required to become vested was increased a couple of years ago. I think it’s now 7 or 8 years.

Retirement COLA raises were effectively abolished.

No regular raises of any kind are ever promised or guaranteed.

Mandatory contribution to state retirement started a couple years ago.

When you ‘retire’ from leave employment, and withdraw your money, you are PROHIBITED from going back into the retirement system.

Cost of living is very high in most areas except very rural.

FHP equipment is provided, but often does not work like it should or is not in good condition. Vehicles don’t trade until about 130-170,000 miles.

If you become a trainer or instructor, they’ll have you going nonstop. A lot of people don’t want to become instructors because of this.

Just a few reasons anyone should consider their choices carefully.

Unregistered

Lightbulb It's not horrible.

The key to being able to tolerate FHP is to not rely on it completely as a career. Basically use it as a entry point for young guys and as a last step to final retirement for retired military or people already drawing a retirement. The most important thing is to not take shit from the command staff. Don't volunteer for stuff, don't work OT, don't get caught up in training and don't write tickets for civil tax collection trash. Leave that stuff to the nutjobs and fanatics. Arrest your actual criminals, issue warnings for the BS stuff and if you wan't work off duty gigs for the massive pay.

Unregistered
    No State of Floduh job is a career. The state is one of the worst employers out there. They suck at everything they do. How many kids have they let die so far? Thousands? How bad have they screwed education?

Unregistered
    The key to being able to tolerate FHP is to not rely on it completely as a career. Basically use it as a entry point for young guys and as a last step to final retirement for retired military or people already drawing a retirement. The most important thing is to not take shit from the command staff. Don't volunteer for stuff, don't work OT, don't get caught up in training and don't write tickets for civil tax collection trash. Leave that stuff to the nutjobs and fanatics. Arrest your actual criminals, issue warnings for the BS stuff and if you wan't work off duty gigs for the massive pay.
    Well put. FHP is so FUBAR, they should teach this at the academy.

Look out for micromanagement, circus clowns and stupid write ups too.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345