Work shift out of FTO (lateral)

Unregistered

Work shift out of FTO (lateral)

Just wondering what kind of shifts you are likely to get fresh out of field training? I would assume midnights, but each agency has its preferences. Are there many officers that enjoy the action/differential pay enough to stay on midnights?

How deep is the seniority there? I have no problem working midnights, and I am all about putting in my fair shatr, but I am not sure if I want to do it for the next 5+ years of my life. Been there, done that.

Thanks in advance.

Unregistered
    Out of FTO you will go wherever there are holes until you are bid eligible, might get Day shift in a nice area might get midnights in a shitty area, they place you until you are off probation (1 year) and you can go to bid at the next bid after your off probation. Your first bid or two midnights will be all that’s available, maybe a few dayshift or mid shift spots for unpopular supervisors people don’t want to bid to. I’d say be your third year you will be senior enough to bid somewhere half decent or you can put in for some kind of specialty.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Just wondering what kind of shifts you are likely to get fresh out of field training? I would assume midnights, but each agency has its preferences. Are there many officers that enjoy the action/differential pay enough to stay on midnights?

How deep is the seniority there? I have no problem working midnights, and I am all about putting in my fair shatr, but I am not sure if I want to do it for the next 5+ years of my life. Been there, done that.

Thanks in advance.

This past shift bid, there were a couple of officers who got to bid to the nicest sectors on Day shift with less than three years on. There has been a lot of hiring and the average tenure of the department is very low compared to earlier times. Lots of people have retired recently and a bunch more are literally D.R.O.P ing too fast to keep up with. Remember, not everybody wants or can bid to days or eves if they did want to because of personal/family schedules so you will be shocked how fast it goes by. I was told, back in the day, not to think of going to D1 days until you made MPO. Now, three years can get you there with a little luck.

Unregistered
    Thanks for the replies. That was exactly the info I was looking for.