Our Current Command Staff - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Unregistered

Resident Reply

Well, in the event you can contain yourselves under pressure, and it seems that is the case --many of us are relieved, so thank you for your courtesy in the comfort of a reply back. That is professionalism.

Next, we have to deal with this dis stain for the chief. You guys know it doesn't look good. I'm not dismissing the issues you have with him, but I guess in order to flip the negative energies into a more positive outcome, use of this communication board is obviously not breaking any ground with him. He's not budging, Old dogs don't like new tricks; and by the time you get to chiefhood you will be too exhausted and disgusted to run the place properly. Or give a damn, either one. Is that true?

So, how do we solve this? Should we be looking outward and providing criticism or looking inward on a better strategy?

I don't know, but we residents want a tightly run ship (fiscally) and a happy strong force, effective, showing results. Is that asking for the impossible?
    I mean, good managers make that happen, and tuff calls have to be made. But managing is different than doing the work. Different skillsets, and you need to have the force respect to look good.
    It sucks when you are behind someone you don't respect, I can't even begin to advise on that, just to say many know that feeling. Morale takes a huge hit and some places become so toxic ..cancer sets in.....but I think its also hard on the Manager who learns he is so berated behind his back. That must hurt . Possibly gets defensive and then further refuses to communicate like a good leader. retreats to his office and can't trust anyone. Are we there yet?

I guess the question is....what is he not doing or what is he doing wrong? That would get to the crux of productive improvements. Do details get communicated back so he can improve himself or you guys just must accept the directives...like command and control, no questions asked, no input either.

Commissioners are elected to make policy and good decisions on our behalf. If this truly is an untenable decision that cannot be improved, then we taxpayers have to speak with our commissioners if there is just cause, beyond envy of leadership and personal feelings. We all need to improve and good teams help each other do that. Its the way in which you do it that gets the right results. Good luck.

Unregistered

Response to Resident

Dear Resident,
    You’ve obviously been reading these boards for a while and know that there is a serious rift between the officers of the MBPD and our leadership, specifically Chief Oates. You have seen much anger and frustration expressed in these pages and like any reasonable person, are concerned about the safety of your home and neighborhood as well as the value you are getting for your hard-earned tax dollars. And you have come with questions. Let’s try our best to give you some answers.

The most common complaint you probably read about the Chief on this board is that he is an out of touch narcissist. Well, to put it bluntly he is. Since day one, Mr. Oates has strutted about like he has come to civilize the backwards natives of South Florida. Notice how when he first arrived he was pointing out every flaw and error in the department with a spotlight from his soapbox but has been suspiciously quiet since then even though controversy still occurs. No, we are not saying that we have nothing to learn from him. But alienating your audience will turn them off to whatever you say. His arrogant posturing is not limited to the members of the MBPD, other city employees, citizens, and even outside police brass have experienced him. After all, it wasn’t a member of MBPD that gave him his nickname of Dan Gloates!

Mr. Oates has problems perceiving his surroundings. It’s as if the real world is somewhat distant from him where he can’t quite make it out. This is probably due to his extensive career as a deskbound administrator with little experience in the trenches. People are mere statistics to him. That is why he thinks he is connecting with the troops by attending roll calls but loses everyone by showing up in a ratty t-shirt and shorts. He actually believes that allowing officers to grow goatees is going to magically improve morale, the way an absentee parent thinks that the occasional gift will win a child’s love.

Why is morale low? It’s not because of male officers with smooth chins. It is because Mr. Oates is an inconsistent leader. Take for example the latest controversy involving his old NYPD buddy Phil Pulaski. After years of pushing an agenda of “fairness” and “female empowerment” Mr. Oates has rendered it all null and void by hiring a defendant of a $35 million discrimination lawsuit contrary to a policy that he himself had signed into effect. This move was as wise as a preschool hiring an accused pedophile and expecting things to go well. Not only has Mr. Oates shown his blatant hypocrisy by declaring (publicly through his PIO no less) that the rules don’t apply to him nor his friends, he has also exposed the City to a monumental liability should charges of discrimination arise within the department. But Dan Oates simply doesn’t care. After all dear taxpayer, it’s YOUR money at stake not his.

This brings up an additional point. Mr. Oates has an abysmal record in upholding his disciplinary actions. If you read the arbitration decisions handed down during his tenure you will see that it boils down to his inability to follow rules and guidelines. He breaks the rules as he sees fit because he simply believes they don’t apply to him. Cases under his leadership have been poorly prepared and have often been driven by a desire to punish and humiliate rather than find the truth and deal with it accordingly.

Take for example a recent case where a now-former member of the department was accused and found guilty of stealing over $18,000 worth of time that he had allegedly not actually worked. The former employee filed a lawsuit against the city claiming that HE was the one cheated out of money (Miami-Dade Court Case 2017-025189-CA-01) and the city settled THE FOLLOWING WEEK awarding HIM over $25,000. How badly botched was this case? Or was this a poorly executed vendetta against the ex-officer? Before you accuse the police union of performing some kind of voodoo you should know that this former employee was NOT represented by the FOP in this matter.

Perhaps here is an immediate solution: Make the Chief pay out of his own pocket for every arbitration that he loses. Watch how disciplinary procedures will be carried out properly and frivolous cases become a thing of the past when Mr. Oates no longer leaves you the taxpayer holding the bill.

Unregistered
    Lmao....dude, you seriously have a ton of time on your hands to come on here and have an entire conversation with YOURSELF. Do you really think anyone buys this crap?!

I can hear your hamster wheel spinning from here. “If I pretend I am a concerned citizen, the Mayor will poo poo and pee pee his pants and fire the Chief”. Dumb ass...

Unregistered
    Ok command staff member, now go back to planning where to have lunch.

Unregistered

Appalling

Well, at first glance many of us have not been paying attention; and I guess the City Manager knows this as well because since when do police chief's make over a quarter of a million dollars with perks and benefits with a contract beyond 3 years? Holy Shit. Is this industry standard now? We are just reading this link and ask if this is correct?
    http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...le1963927.html

What happened to the other applicants, Who reviews them, and who is the final say on a chief selection? Is the public involved in this and to what extent? He is from out of state...was he properly vetted? To what degree and who did it?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Well, at first glance many of us have not been paying attention; and I guess the City Manager knows this as well because since when do police chief's make over a quarter of a million dollars with perks and benefits with a contract beyond 3 years? Holy Shit. Is this industry standard now? We are just reading this link and ask if this is correct?

What happened to the other applicants, Who reviews them, and who is the final say on a chief selection? Is the public involved in this and to what extent? He is from out of state...was he properly vetted? To what degree and who did it?
    I guess this is where the “GOD complex” comes from....6

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

1. His salary and benefits package is good, but still within the range for someone with his experience and education. Just like the salary and benefits package for most CMB employees is comparable with, or better, than other municipalities in order to attract and retain staff.

2. If you are just reading about this now, you are four years too late. That's when the recruitment and search began.

3. The other applicants were recruited by two separate outside headhunting agencies.

4. All applicants were vetted and interviewed by a selection committee of Miami Beach Executives under the direction of the City Manager with guidance by the Mayor and other Commissioners.

5. Nothing happened to the other applicants. They were not hired and went about their lives. Except for Deputy Chief Hill, who was hired as the second in command and left after a year.

6. The City Manager has the final say on a Chief selection after receiving direction from Commission. He is the Chief Executive Officer for the city. All city employees work for the City Manager.

7. The public is not involved and shouldn't be involved. As is evident from your post, it took you three years before you even began to care about the chief and his contract. Also evident from your post is the fact that you don't know how our city government is even structured or that the Chief is hired by and reports to the City Manager. Most of the public has no idea what a police chief does or how municipal government operates. That is why you elect commissioners who hire a city manager to make those decisions. Also, everything you are asking about was decided in past commission meetings which are all available on the city website along with detailed agendas, exhibits, attachments, and letters to commission reporting what was done and why. Go read things for yourself. Don't rely only on what you read in this forum to be the truth.

Unregistered
    Sorry dude, Levine wanted a “black female chief” to boost his resume. He made it known at city hall. Levine (against city police and outside the Florida sunshine law) “recruited” Hill but even he realized she sucked. So he went to PERF and asked for a list of “world class Chiefs in the news”. PERF gave Levine a list of 5 including the New Orleans Chief and the Chicago Chief and Oates. Oates was the only one interested because Aurora PD was about to ax him. Lavine did all the hiring and vetting and told the “hiring committee” to hire Gloates and Hill. Hill however pinched Levine in the balls by leaving.

Oates makes a lot more money now, he’s received 3 step raises and given glowing evaluations by noballs Morales. So we can all thank Lavine for the Oates debacle by NOT VOTING FOR HIM FOR GOVERNOR.

Unregistered
    Bottom line we need a new Chief, we don’t need a Chief that practices, do what I say not as I do. The rules don’t apply to him and that’s what I think everyone is angry about. He has one set of standards for himself and another set for everyone else. You can’t make rules and expect everyone to a abide by them but then turn around and break them yourself.
    That’s why no one respects him and makes fun of him when he’s around and behind his back. He’s not a good example of a Chief. What has he done other than be the Chief of a city that had a mass shooting. All the law degrees in the world can’t make you a better leader. It’s just so sad after so many years in Law Enforcement to see what a joke this department has become and it has a lot to do with the Chief and the people he has picked to be in his command staff. Now we have this new guy with another “I’m better than everyone” attitude which is the last thing we need for morale and the betterment of the department and city. Now we will have another male shovenist, bigoted command staff memeber even tho we have plenty of capable Lt’s within our own department i

Unregistered
    SO true, the above poster is 100% correct.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast