Off duty Rate needs to Increase - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Unregistered
    Since TPD gets the money in their paycheck, doesn't this mean its figured into their highest five year average, from which their pension is calculated?

In other words if they work $10,000 in off duty work per year the last five years, and at pension rate of 75% of the average highest 5 years (I know theirs is a bit higher - for 25 years they make a slight bit more than 3% per year...and they only have to work 20), that would mean they would still be getting paid an EXTRA $7,500 per year...every single year from the day they retire until the day they die.

If this is true....Holy crap, talk about motivation for working off duty jobs!!!!

I'll retire in my mid 50's and live to be a crotchity old ******* of 395 years old! Seriously though If I retire in my mid 50's and die in my mid 90's that means 40 years + or - of $7,500 extra pension money per year IF MY MATH IS RIGHT. 40 years X $7,500 extra pension $ per year = an extra $300,000.

Even if I don't live that long, an extra $7,500 per year (just for having our department change the way we are paid the same $30 per hour) would REALLY help out!

Unregistered
    Why are you complaining about there being available jobs? Seems to me like that would be a good thing. The disgruntled babies will apparently cry and whine about anything on this site.

There's a bunch of open jobs because it is Halloween... Who wants to work these open neighborhoods tonight anyways??

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Why are you complaining about there being available jobs? Seems to me like that would be a good thing. The disgruntled babies will apparently cry and whine about anything on this site.

There's a bunch of open jobs because it is Halloween... Who wants to work these open neighborhoods tonight anyways??
    Because there always has to be something to complain about. Nothing can ever be good enough for some.

Unregistered
    *****ing because OD jobs are available ?? Glad I retired, y'all have lost it. Ya *****in about short on the streets, stress, ****ed up staff, no time for nothing, yet, open jobs, $30 an hour not enough. Get some rest...And by the way, the *****in, over 3 decades, has been the exact same. Stay safe, and don't love this job, its a whore, and doesn't love you!

Unregistered
    Ok I’ll clarify the pension question too. Even though it’s paid in our pay check it is not pensionable. Shift differential, the 12 paid out holidays, 3 hour min court OT, any OT, incentive pay, etc those are all pensionable and you could easily make an extra $10,000 a year in those especially as an MPO but off duty is not pensionsble. Our pension multiplier is 3.15% so 63% for 20 years, 78.75% for 25, and 94.5% for 30. Now MPO maxed out at 90,000 this contract, add in that extra easy $10,000 to achieve your looking at $100,000 without getting promoted in today’s dollars. $63,000 with 20 years, $94,500 for 30. Your Master Deputy maxes our at $78,000, let’s give him an extra $10,000 as well for $88,000. At 30 years he would get 90% or $79,200 a year $15,300 less a year than a 30 years Officer.

If you guys had a higher Off duty rate that could be a way to boost morale without directly costing the SO money but the real problems lie with SO. The fact that you have no union, no real grievance process, arbitration, representation if you get fired that’s scary. The union isn’t always the end all be all but I can tell you from experience a lot of times our agency will back off or go lighter just to avoid the hassle of grieveance or arbitration. At the SO punishment can come down unregulated and there is nothing you can do about it. Plus the union brings up safety issues, there is a minimum that has to be in each zone, man power and such. That’s another big issue, 1.4 deputies per 1,000 citizens spread out over a bigger geographical area vs 2.7 officers per 1,000 citizens spread out over a smaller one. If I get in a resist I got 30 cops on top of my location within 30 second to 2 minutes. Union also battles for consistent cola pay raises on the steps and no freezes, which means more reliable pay raises vs you guys getting frozen for years at a time with no way to fight it.

Y’all need to unionize and stand up together against the sheriff. Here is the link to our contract with all the latest pay scales all the way the end. Take a min to skim it so y’all can get an idea of what y’all need to fight for over there.

https://www.tampagov.net/sites/defau..._agreement.pdf

Unregistered
    And If you think the difference in yearly salaries isn’t too bad when you look at the pay scales remember your yearly salary is based on 2184 hours a year, we only work 2080 hours a year, 104 hours less. You can note the big difference in salaries when you focus on the hourly pay. 104 hours times 30 years is 3,120 hours or 1.5 years worth of work hours. So you would essentially have to stay on duty an extra 1.5 years worth of work hours to make $15,300 less a year in retirement than a 30 year Officer.

Unregistered
    Plus the union brings up safety issues, there is a minimum that has to be in each zone, man power and such. That’s another big issue, 1.4 deputies per 1,000 citizens spread out over a bigger geographical area vs 2.7 officers per 1,000 citizens spread out over a smaller one. If I get in a resist I got 30 cops on top of my location within 30 second to 2 minutes.
    This by itself is a huge issue. Every time I've asked for a back up in the city within 30 seconds I'm tripping over police officers. Two times I've had something go really, really bad in the city and God bless TPD, but there was a swarm of blue there to help in less than a minute. Right now on my squad, we usually have five or six people at work. Every call I go to I have to have a plan because my backup is often literally, and I do mean literally, 20 minutes way.

The reason our jobs go unfilled is probably two-fold. Most of them are short, crappy jobs with off the wall hours (4-7 AM, seriously?) that aren't worth ruining a day off. Secondly, I am so damn tired on my days off from getting my ass handed to me at my real job, I really don't feel like working again. I used to prostitute that badge like a champ back in better days.

Unregistered
    This by itself is a huge issue. Every time I've asked for a back up in the city within 30 seconds I'm tripping over police officers. Two times I've had something go really, really bad in the city and God bless TPD, but there was a swarm of blue there to help in less than a minute. Right now on my squad, we usually have five or six people at work. Every call I go to I have to have a plan because my backup is often literally, and I do mean literally, 20 minutes way.

The reason our jobs go unfilled is probably two-fold. Most of them are short, crappy jobs with off the wall hours (4-7 AM, seriously?) that aren't worth ruining a day off. Secondly, I am so damn tired on my days off from getting my ass handed to me at my real job, I really don't feel like working again. I used to prostitute that badge like a champ back in better days.

I post on this site often and I have my serious issues with the SO regarding manpower and call volume. I think the off duty issues should be looked into after all the main issues are resolved. I do highly agree with the safety concerns. Sometimes I wish someone, an accrediting body, the media, anyone can look into it, but I know the SO will include CRD’s, SCU, the brass (hahaha), detectives, and whoever into the patrol count to make it look as if we are fully staffed on patrol. Yes resources can be pulled, way way after the fact after the crap hits the fan, but what about before?? Where are the patrols that people ask for? Where is the deterrence and prevention? This is exactly why neighborhoods get hit with two, three, five, ten, twenty burglaries in one night on a nightly basis. These criminals know that we are no where to be found! We are too busy writing crap. crap shoplift scam money making calls. we are busy writing unfounded cya 730 calls. this agency has lost all common sense. so now they want to make things better by canceling a few 911 and 120 calls. that wont help, those calls are the only way I get my reports done because we are not given the second most important tool. time. time to write and do all the bs crap they want. if you want to help, HCSO, get rid of the CYA paper, add more cops to the street, stop dealing with crime after the fact with so many x8 detective units and so few patrol units, and grow some balls. learn to fight for us if questions are asked. keep in mind that many criminals come from other counties and leave the city to come to unincorporated hillsborough just to commit crimes. because they know we are not on the street watching. they know we are too busy at evidence with stupid touch dna swabs, or at a veripic kiosk, or reading 90 emails, or kronos, or DMS . pretty much with our faces buried in that CANCER to police work.... the LAPTOP.

Unregistered
    We are on pace for just under 1,000,000 calls for service this year. And Patrol takes about 98% of those calls. What are patrol deputies going to do about this?

Unregistered
    I'm not discounting the benefits mentioned about TPD above, but remember they pay upwards of 10-15% to their pension. Our take home pay is higher, especially with the raises we have been getting each year. Master Deputy at $85,000 now and will probably go up again next year.

As for working conditions, yeah TPD is a mile ahead of us.

Funny thing for any D4 people on here regarding the 30 cops in a minute comment above: could you imagine Sgt. TA seeing 30 cops on a call (let alone 2 cops). He'd spit out his cigar and lose his mind lol.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast