Looking to apply.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

grappleordie

Looking to apply.

Good Evening,

I just graduated with my Masters in Public Administration with a 3.9. I am now a graduate Assistant at my Alma-mater. Before that I wrestled in college and was an all american one of the top 197 wrestlers in the country. I also have a Bachelors and Associates Degrees in History and the other in Business. I am a very squared away person. Still coach wrestling and compete in grappling tournaments. I am looking to pursue FHP, I live at the Jersey Shore. Paying out of state price to get certified is not in the cards for me. I am a single guy and the pay is something I can deal with. My question to all of you is how is the quality of life can you find enjoyment in being a FHP? Will one learn the proper ways to be a FL highway patrolmen? I thank you all in advance for your honesty it is very much appreciated. Bless all of you out there!

Unregistered
    I love how we get these on here now and then, they make me laugh. Over qualified or educated and yet wants to apply for THO. GO AWAY!

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by grappleordie View Post
    Good Evening,

I just graduated with my Masters in Public Administration with a 3.9. I am now a graduate Assistant at my Alma-mater. Before that I wrestled in college and was an all american one of the top 197 wrestlers in the country. I also have a Bachelors and Associates Degrees in History and the other in Business. I am a very squared away person. Still coach wrestling and compete in grappling tournaments. I am looking to pursue FHP, I live at the Jersey Shore. Paying out of state price to get certified is not in the cards for me. I am a single guy and the pay is something I can deal with. My question to all of you is how is the quality of life can you find enjoyment in being a FHP? Will one learn the proper ways to be a FL highway patrolmen? I thank you all in advance for your honesty it is very much appreciated. Bless all of you out there!
    Dude you are way too over qualified to be a state trooper in Florida. Don’t waste your time coming here and don’t listen to the “used car salesman” talk given by the recruiters and/or academy staff.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by grappleordie View Post
    Good Evening,

Come on down, we'd love to have you; of course if you're so fortunate to pass our Academy.

We are the premier law enforcement agency in Florida. Variety of assignments to chose from. Right now with vacancies in all areas, you can pretty much go where you you'd like if and when you graduate from the Academy. Orlando, Miami and Tampa are popular areas. You'll also be assigned a take-home car.

Plenty of OT opportunities and off duty gigs, however you'll need to focus on getting through your first year of being a road Trooper. Don't get so hung up on OT.

Feel free to call any of the Recruiters from our web site. Also, make a trip down here and arrange a ride along. Ride alongs are obviously the best way to get a feel for the job and nonetheless can be quite entertaining at times.

Best of luck to you. Also congratulations on your accomplishments thus far. Hopefully we can soon welcome you to the Florida Highway Patrol.

Now, to the people who are going to bash me for recommending FHP.

Folks, if you don't like it here then leave. As you can see, we have bodies ready and willing to replace you. No one is forcing you to drive that fancy Black and Tan. No one is forcing you to have that great title of being a Florida State Trooper. If you're fed up and don't like the leadership or working conditions then I suggest you leave. Do something that makes you happy.

Folks, FHP is an excellent agency. An agency that keeps a roof over your head and food on your table. For many of you here, it's time you start appreciating the agency; if not, just leave.

Be safe and as always, write some good tickets out there!

Unregistered
    Go to work some place else. The patrol is so understaffed you will be stressing out all the time. This was a really squared away outfit years ago but not anymore. Take my advice and apply with an agency in south Florida. Ten years from now you will be making twice the salary you would have made with FHP and you will thank me.

Our governor zapped us a couple years ago and changed our retirement / you now have to work 30 years for full benefits...... the state makes out because they know you will not live long after retiring from this job. He also changed the rules and made us pay 3% into the retirement system. This billion dollar plus cash cow is now used to supplement the state budget and not sure up the retirement system as suggested

Don't count on any pay increases unless you promote. We are at the mercy of the state legislature every year for pay increases and never get anything.

Unregistered
    (Folks, if you don't like it here then leave. As you can see, we have bodies ready and willing to replace you. No one is forcing you to drive that fancy Black and Tan. No one is forcing you to have that great title of being a Florida State Trooper. If you're fed up and don't like the leadership or working conditions then I suggest you leave. Do something that makes you happy.)

Man you are ate up with it / as far as someone to replace you lol. That's total bullsh$$. We don't have enough troopers to do our jobs and we get no help from management / holding calls for hours while our commercial vehicle officers are sitting in the offfice staying dry..... and the few that want to help us can't because their Captain tells them not to associate with the road troopers. Hell, their cve Captain won't even let them wear the fhp uniform unless they are on a detail. They have to wear the black uniform or face discipline

You see we still have ignorant supervisors like the cve Captain I speak of that never took a promotional test because the DOT cops just picked their redneck buddies to be supervisors. Then our wonderful governor had them combine with us. Long story but it has ruined the patrol. We lose road troopers every few months to them and are never replaced. But the cve supervisors strut around in their tho uniform like they are special.

Please don't apply here / this place is a train wreck / do yourself a favor, apply with a sheriffs dept or federal agency. Good luck

Unregistered
    You are over qualified my friend. FHP is the worst LE agency in Florida. FHP has become the bottom of the barrel. The people we now hire just want to get certified and go to a SO and the only others that remain after getting hired are the turds that can’t get hired at a more respectable agency. Do yourself a favor, don’t waste your time. Apply to a SO. With a resume like that, they may even sponsor you. Several south Florida agencies will sponsor you if the timing is right. You will make WAY more money, have better benefits, way more opportunities and a better life. Run, don’t walk from FHP

Unregistered

Fired / Hired

If I have been fired from several agencies; would I still be able to get hired at FHP? Being on welfare, I think I'd fit right into the organization.

Unregistered

Lightbulb OK

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Now, to the people who are going to bash me for recommending FHP.

Folks, if you don't like it here then leave. As you can see, we have bodies ready and willing to replace you. No one is forcing you to drive that fancy Black and Tan. No one is forcing you to have that great title of being a Florida State Trooper. If you're fed up and don't like the leadership or working conditions then I suggest you leave. Do something that makes you happy.

Folks, FHP is an excellent agency. An agency that keeps a roof over your head and food on your table. For many of you here, it's time you start appreciating the agency; if not, just leave.

Be safe and as always, write some good tickets out there!
    While I may not despise FHP, I most certainly do not 'Have to' appreciate being the lowest paid state law enforcement in the country. Can we live on FHP's horrible salary? Of course. Can you retire on it today or in the near future? Considering FHP's pay structure and inflation, not likely. If you're expecting sunshine and roses in exchange for a low paying high risk job, you're sadly mistaken.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    If I have been fired from several agencies; would I still be able to get hired at FHP? Being on welfare, I think I'd fit right into the organization.
    I’m sure! Come on down, they are probably having a job fair in the orange groves to recruit day laborers. Just wait in line!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast