City Insurance Ending For Some Retirees

Senior Member LEO Affairs Sergeant

City Insurance Ending For Some Retirees

I don't know if this is "the writing on the wall", but I've received two (2) notices (copied below) from the City stating that if you're a retiree and NOT enrolled in the City's group health insurance by the end of this enrollment period (11/13/2017), you WILL NOT be allowed to enroll in it in the future!

In the past we've been allowed to get insurance elsewhere with the ability to come back to the City insurance if we need to. When I closed out my career working with the PBA, I attended City meetings with insurance companies bidding to get the huge contract with the City. Covering retirees was so important to the City that I personally witnessed the City (I believe via Human Resources Director Kimberly Crum) tell insurance companies to not even bother submitting a proposal unless they planned on covering retirees both local and out-of-state too.

I contacted the PBA today and understand that this has not only taken them by surprise, but that they have already contacted the mayor's office about it.

This of course affects retirees, but subsequently all actives. Is the next step to drop healthcare for retirees? I'm curious to see if anyone else is concerned about this:

IMPORTANT NOTICE
    TO CITY OF TAMPA RETIREES

This notice is to inform you of a significant change in City policy that may affect you and your dependents. Effective January 1, 2018, the City will no longer allow retirees who are not currently enrolled in the City's group health insurance plan to enroll in the City's group health insurance plan at a later date. If you are not currently enrolled in the Plan, this year's open enrollment period (October 16, 2017 through November 13, 2017) will be your FINAL opportunity to enroll in coverage in the City's group health insurance plan.

Additionally, should you elect to waive enrollment in the plan or drop existing coverage or if you are dropped from coverage due to non-payment, you will not be permitted to enroll in the health insurance plan at any time for any reason.

If you are currently enrolled in the City's group health insurance, you will receive Open Enrollment materials in the mail in October. Your election is due by November 13, 2017.

If you are not currently enrolled in the City's plan and would like to review your options, please contact the Human Resources Department and we will send you all pertinent materials. If you choose to enroll in the group health plan, you must submit all necessary paperwork prior to December 1, 2017. Requests or paperwork submitted after this date will not be honored.

Please direct all requests for Open Enrollment materials to the City of Tampa Human Resources Department at 813-274-8041.

Senior Member LEO Affairs Sergeant
    OK Guys,

Here's an update from the Tampa PBA on Monday, 11/06/2017. Apparently Abe is on it!:

Dear Members,

Recently retired members received the below letter notifying them that the City no longer will allow members to leave and re-enter the city healthcare plan. We disagree with the cities decision to abruptly stop this practice.
    Due to the contract language contained in 33.4 (http://tampapba.org/items/pba_agreement.pdf) and the established practice by the city, we have filed the below grievance on Wednesday November 1, 2017. We are waiting on the city to respond and set up a Step 4 hearing. We will keep you informed on the status of this grievance. Should you have any questions feel free contact us by emailing info@tampapba.org or calling 813-228-8900.

Respectfully,
    Abe Carmack, President
    Tampa PBA

Unregistered
    So what has been the outcome? Did ole' Bob just screw us again ?

Unregistered
    Hey need free Health INSURENCE just contract with the City of Tampa. That's right obtain a contract with the City of Tampa and you too can get Health INSURENCE for free.

How the heck can the city charge current and retired employees for health when they offer it to some non city employees free or reduced.

That's right City hires Howey, Dewey and Cheatem Law firm to conduct some city legal business because the city attorney cant handle it and then we pay them a salary of $250,000 and give them free health and or offer reduced family coverage to. HOW YOU ASK on the back bone of its employees.

And before you think that they receive a salary and that makes them city employees well wrong again they are third party vendors doing business with the city. So come on vendors come on down free health for you and your 15 kids too.