Retired LEO/ ABT Job Question - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Unregistered
    Let me guess you need a take home car with leather cooled seats, auto start, and dual zone climate control?

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Dude. Go be a substitute teacher. If you wanna be a cop your gonna be working outside of banker hours.
    Been a cop for 23 years MORON...I was asking a question about the job schedule, and unlike the others who were professional with their responses, there's always a couple of A-Holes who have to write crap comments. I'm sure your a pathetic loser...who probably has never been in a fight or investigated a crime in his life...now go run home to mommy...take a lesson on how real cops are respectful to each other...your a disgrace to any cop...

Unregistered
    Let me guess you need a take home car with leather cooled seats, auto start, and dual zone climate control?
    let me guess....your a loser????

Unregistered
    To chime in on the original poster I have a couple of questions if someone could answer. I have 28 years LE experience, 16 of those as a detective.

1) Do you guys have an On-Call system like in a detective unit? Or is it pretty much when your work shift is over your day is done...or is it like when I was a detective and the phone rings at 5 a.m. for a call out?

2) I read the whole dialogue on the holiday and work schedule thing, and have no problem with that...But when it is a Holiday, like Veterans Day for example, and no operation is planned or anything is going on ...is it basically a day where everyone is off for the holiday...or are you still going into work like a patrol officer if it falls on a weekday?

Any info appreciated...

Unregistered
    We aren't a First Response Agency. We don't run an On-Call rotation or shifts and aren't dispatched via radio. It is extremely rare to be called by a supervisor after hours to respond to something that couldn't be handled the next day. I have received phone calls from other agencies with technical questions based on stuff they found and assisted in that way. I have actually responded a few times to moonshine stills and a few other oddities but not enough to be an issue. Like most jobs, this one contains unique skill sets and assisting others is something LE does. To answer the question about holidays-you won't work many. If there is something planned that absolutely has to be carried out on a holiday, you may need to work. I have worked July 4th, New Year's Eve, Memorial Day but not much else. The office is closed on every state recognized holiday, so any work done on those days is mission critical and only involves sworn personnel.

Unregistered
    For most, it also depends on command staff - Tallahassee and the district. Some supervisors want you out more at night and holidays that traditionally have an “alcohol” theme. Tallahassee gets ideas, I know that’s scary alone. Our high command changes like the wind, so you just have to do what they say at the time and wait for the next change to come along in management or ideas. Also, depending upon your geographical location, your hours and holidays will vary. Some districts are spring break and summer havens - expect to put the time in. Some districts are small in comparison and have fewer licenses. The large metropolitan districts usually have it all, and work is constant and steady. The newer agents are last for leave requests, so if TCO comes out with the idea, again, to have someone working a bowl game on Christmas or the local Memorial Day festival, guess who’s going. It’s a roll of the dice for what happens most days.

Unregistered
    That’s awesome your a retired cop for all those years but guess what when u come here or any agencybyour the new guy at the bottom of the list so You’ll be working all the events and things senior agents don’t want to

Unregistered
    Another retired Leo here and to chime in on the other retired LEO posters who chimed in....

Did a quasi ride-a-long/office visit with DFS...are your guys investigations as involved as theirs??? They showed me 2 different investigations that the paperwork alone filled 5 to 6 bank boxes and each investigation took over a year to complete. The LT told me that these type of investigations are not uncommon for DFS. Are your investigations at the same level...or are they more direct/succinct? Not saying you guys don't work hard...just wondering if you need to be a CPA and each case you get fills multiple bank boxes....

Unregistered
    Another retired Leo here and to chime in on the other retired LEO posters who chimed in....

Did a quasi ride-a-long/office visit with DFS...are your guys investigations as involved as theirs??? They showed me 2 different investigations that the paperwork alone filled 5 to 6 bank boxes and each investigation took over a year to complete. The LT told me that these type of investigations are not uncommon for DFS. Are your investigations at the same level...or are they more direct/succinct? Not saying you guys don't work hard...just wondering if you need to be a CPA and each case you get fills multiple bank boxes....
    Complexity has no bearing on importance. Every agency serves a particular need. Generally, volume doesn't equate to value unless you are buying watermelons. Financial crimes are notoriously complex so I can see the time involved being much more than say, an undisclosed interest investigation. Do what makes you happy.

Unregistered
    Bottom line, we don’t need you You should probably apply for insurance fraud,

Th aks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast