Retired LEO/ ABT Job Question
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unregistered

Retired LEO/ ABT Job Question

I am a retired LEO over here on the East coast of Florida...and had question about ABT work hours. I retired after 23 years with my department, and more than 11 of those years were working mids (1800-0600 hours). I have no desire to work late night hours again at this stage in my life. I'm not lazy and have a good work ethic, but I just do not want to be running around at 4am for work anymore.

I know you have a "FLEXIBLE" schedule (160 hours 28 day period) from what I read on forums....BUT could someone PLEASE give me some clarity on what a typical work week would be like. I know it varies depending on some work assignments. I just want a general idea.....Like Monday 10am-7pm, Wed 11am-8pm, etc... Also, do you work Holidays??? Are you working Weekends all the time???? Are you working till 3am all the time etc?????

Thank you...and be safe....

Uncle Buck
    There are no absolutes to be found in the answers to your questions. The position description for LEI II shows workday and time as "varied" The simple answer is you work as needed to:
    Investigate your complaints, meet the investigative needs of the office, assist others, respond to requests for assistance from other agencies, etc. You may go days/weeks/months without being out after midnight. On the other hand, you may find yourself on an investigation that has you out all night more often than not. Our statutorily mandated mission centers around the enforcement of Chapters 561-569, F.S. The largest effort and the one that grabs the headlines is keeping alcoholic beverages out of the hands of underage. The variables surrounding that task don't lock you into 8-5, M-F. Offices are open 8-5 but don't build your decision to work here on "office hours"
    Once you factor in mission needs, you will also need to consider the office mindset. Most supervisors will require their squads to routinely work late nights/weekends with the thought that you will be most effective working underage violations on nights and weekends. Some areas have a large college population with bars that cater to the college crowd and football games. You could find yourself out when the action is heavy. Makes sense, doesn't it? In some areas you have to hunt and in some areas the violators just walk up to you, but everyone is expected to be proactive and productive. It would not be out of the question to work July 4th but I have never worked Christmas or Thanksgiving. My personal experience this year has put me out after midnight approximately eight days since Jan 1. Some have seen much more and I suspect a few much less. While it is difficult to pin it down, there is almost always flexibility to meet any reasonable need you may have. The bottom line is this is the best LE job in Florida. We have a great management team in Tallahassee and good people in the field. The really nice thing is the flexibility and freedom of movement this job offers.

Unregistered
    Each office is different, we get just as much action working the beach on weekdays and college bars on week nights as other offices donworking weekends. It’s just the way out district works, college nights here are Tuesday -Thursday in our bars, so that’s when we work if we want to target possession.

We work party holidays but there’s just reason for us to be working a Christmas or thanksgiving.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    There are no absolutes to be found in the answers to your questions. The position description for LEI II shows workday and time as "varied" The simple answer is you work as needed to:
    Investigate your complaints, meet the investigative needs of the office, assist others, respond to requests for assistance from other agencies, etc. You may go days/weeks/months without being out after midnight. On the other hand, you may find yourself on an investigation that has you out all night more often than not. Our statutorily mandated mission centers around the enforcement of Chapters 561-569, F.S. The largest effort and the one that grabs the headlines is keeping alcoholic beverages out of the hands of underage. The variables surrounding that task don't lock you into 8-5, M-F. Offices are open 8-5 but don't build your decision to work here on "office hours"
    Once you factor in mission needs, you will also need to consider the office mindset. Most supervisors will require their squads to routinely work late nights/weekends with the thought that you will be most effective working underage violations on nights and weekends. Some areas have a large college population with bars that cater to the college crowd and football games. You could find yourself out when the action is heavy. Makes sense, doesn't it? In some areas you have to hunt and in some areas the violators just walk up to you, but everyone is expected to be proactive and productive. It would not be out of the question to work July 4th but I have never worked Christmas or Thanksgiving. My personal experience this year has put me out after midnight approximately eight days since Jan 1. Some have seen much more and I suspect a few much less. While it is difficult to pin it down, there is almost always flexibility to meet any reasonable need you may have. The bottom line is this is the best LE job in Florida. We have a great management team in Tallahassee and good people in the field. The really nice thing is the flexibility and freedom of movement this job offers.
    So Uncle BUCK (No disrespect but being direct here sir)....I get the impression this is a weekends and work holidays type of job (Except Christmas and Thanksgiving). I believe you hold a supervisory rank and have pride in your job, and I respect that sir. However to me, working late nights, weekends and some holidays doesn't sound ideal for a veteran police officer who is retired, and more importantly would rather be home MOST weekends than not.

Like I stated earlier, I am by no means lazy or have a bad work ethic...but your view of this being the best LE agency (from a work schedule view) does not sound ideal to me. I assume you do not mind working holidays, evening hours and weekends for the most part. If I am wrong...clarify please...and personally, based on your experience it would not have been hard to simply state..(if correct and from your experience)...Were off most holidays except July 4th Labor Day etc...I work maybe 30 weekends a year...most times I'm home around 8pm...Like I said sir (no disrespect) from one LE to another, but I heard there's a high turnover rate and I starting to see why... From a work schedule stand-point. Someone said half the agents are retirees. These guys like working nights weekends and holidays...seems strange...

Uncle Buck
    I work a late Friday or Saturday night about once a month. Some offices/agents work more. The key is you work when needed. If you are looking for 8-5, with weekends and holidays off, might I suggest Medicare Fraud or something similar. You may land in an office with a schedule more to your liking, but I wouldn't come here with the expectation of "bankers hours". We do have a large percentage of retirees, but the turnover is due mostly to the pay or not liking the mission, not the work schedule. Turnover is very low once experience comes into play. Less than 5 years-high turnover. More than 12 years-low turnover. I think that is the same for most 100+ member agencies. In any case, good luck and I hope you find a good fit.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    I work a late Friday or Saturday night about once a month. Some offices/agents work more. The key is you work when needed. If you are looking for 8-5, with weekends and holidays off, might I suggest Medicare Fraud or something similar. You may land in an office with a schedule more to your liking, but I wouldn't come here with the expectation of "bankers hours". We do have a large percentage of retirees, but the turnover is due mostly to the pay or not liking the mission, not the work schedule. Turnover is very low once experience comes into play. Less than 5 years-high turnover. More than 12 years-low turnover. I think that is the same for most 100+ member agencies. In any case, good luck and I hope you find a good fit.
    I appreciate your answers...and I'm not looking specifically for "banking hours," just wanted some insight and to get an idea on how often you work weekends and what HOLIDAYS you will DEFINITELY BE OFF, as opposed to the ones you DEFINITELY WILL BE WORKING. It sounds like (correct me if I'm wrong), you average about one weekend a month...and only 8 days working pass midnight is very good in my opinion...I'm not opposed to a varied schedule...I'm opposed to a work every weekend, work every holiday schedule...

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I appreciate your answers...and I'm not looking specifically for "banking hours," just wanted some insight and to get an idea on how often you work weekends and what HOLIDAYS you will DEFINITELY BE OFF, as opposed to the ones you DEFINITELY WILL BE WORKING. It sounds like (correct me if I'm wrong), you average about one weekend a month...and only 8 days working pass midnight is very good in my opinion...I'm not opposed to a varied schedule...I'm opposed to a work every weekend, work every holiday schedule...
    There really is no set schedule. You WILL work nights and weekends at times. It depends on what your investigations dictate. As a general rule of thumb, plan on working at least 1 or 2 Fri/Sat nights a month and at least 1 night per work. Holidays worked will vary depending on the district. Again, no set schedule, but judging from your original post, this place probably is not for you.

Unregistered
    There really is no set schedule. You WILL work nights and weekends at times. It depends on what your investigations dictate. As a general rule of thumb, plan on working at least 1 or 2 Fri/Sat nights a month and at least 1 night per work. Holidays worked will vary depending on the district. Again, no set schedule, but judging from your original post, this place probably is not for you.
    ... to continue on with my post. If you are already worried about working too many nights and have not applied yet, then that is not a good sign. However, I do understand where you are coming from as I am a veteran and not one of the lazy types. I would prefer to work no nights, weekends, or holidays, but it is kind of a necessary evil being we regulate and investigate bars and such. At the end of the day... the good parts about the hours we work and how we operate far outweigh the bad!

Unregistered
    ... to continue on with my post. If you are already worried about working too many nights and have not applied yet, then that is not a good sign. However, I do understand where you are coming from as I am a veteran and not one of the lazy types. I would prefer to work no nights, weekends, or holidays, but it is kind of a necessary evil being we regulate and investigate bars and such. At the end of the day... the good parts about the hours we work and how we operate far outweigh the bad!
    I appreciate the honesty...and more than likely I will look elsewhere....but just out of curiosity...what holidays would you say you get off every year...is it only Christmas and Thanksgiving??? Because I believe the State has 9 or 10 holidays...I don't know the State, but my old department recognized 11 holidays...

Unregistered
    Dude. Go be a substitute teacher. If you wanna be a cop your gonna be working outside of banker hours.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast