DIFS Insight - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIFS Insight

Unregistered
    I’m going to pass by my local field office on Tuesday to get a bit more insight, the only thing that has me over thinking it is the pay cut I would be taking of about 10k.

Unregistered
    Glad that you are stopping by, but you also need to consider that there is no annual 3% COLA (Cost of Living Adjustment) in retirement if you come into the FRS (Florida Retirement System) now or at anytime after July 1, 2011 which I am presuming you are with only a couple of years of patrol experience. Plus, the FRS went to a non-contributory pension to 3% pre-tax just to get the same 75% pension at 30 years that those that came in before that date will get at 25 years. In other words, the multiplier is only 2.5%, vice the 3% per year of service if hired before then to get the same thing. Thank the governor for that, and that COLA makes a difference.

The bottom line is this; do a very good cost:benefit analysis before you make the leap, two years or so may not seem like a lot where you are now, but it is two years closer to retirement than you would be if you started over.

Of course, none of this matters if you are already in an FRS Agency as all of your time will transfer but it may take some time to recoup that $10,000.00 that is for sure.

Unregistered
    Yeah, that was one of the things that I took into consideration however now I contribute 11.5% towards our city pension with 70% retirement at 20 years. I always thought about buying back a few years of leo experience.

I was talking to my wife about it and she seems to like the idea of a normal schedule rather than night swift. I know eventually I would get into the DB at my agency but most of the crime we get is burglaries and thefts.

My goal eventually would to get into the Secret Service as I’m only 24. But who knows maybe I like DFS and can promote.

Unregistered
    The 3% multiplier did not change with the FRS for those enrolled after July 1, 2011, but the vesting period, and age did. You have to work either 30 years to collect regardless of age, or age 60 assuming you worked a minimum of 8 years. Your pension would be determined from your highest 8 year average, and then 3 percent times the number of years. At 30 years, you would collect 90% of your highest 8 years.

https://www.rol.frs.state.fl.us/form...r_Handbook.pdf

Unregistered
    OK, but let's be honest with this kid; the legislature does not give us raises very often and I do not make much more than I did when I came here from the S.O. almost twenty years ago. Promotions here are also a pretty fairly political affair and most, if not all of of our WC Squad (Worker's Comp) Lt's are female statewide. During the time that I have been here there have been people promoted to Lt/Capt with little-to-no experience who came in with a new Director and others who got fired for BS. The agency is no different than any SO in the state.

I say if you want to go federal, apply with the UD (Uniform Division) of the Secret Service right now; they are hiring many Officer's right now and you can work unlimited overtime if you want to. Then, apply for an 1811 (Agent/Criminal Investigator) position internally after you have done a couple of years at the White House. You will already have your Security Clearance, be an agency Employee, and be in the federal LE retirement system.

Plus, the UD has no salary cap; the 1811's (Agents) can not earn more annually than a freshman Congressman.

I should have done this myself before I aged out at 37, but my first wife did not want to move again and I listened to her. The bottom line is this; you work for your family and a pension so that you can retire and be done. The federal system is the way to go if you are young. If you do not want to go to the UD, go to the FBI, they are also hiring, and as a local LEO you will be miles ahead of everyone else in your class...and probably at your field office...plus, they get paid much better...starting at a GS-10...no other agency does that.

You do not need to come here; it will not benefit you!

Unregistered
    I agree 100 percent, policy changes every promotion, and VERY political.

Unregistered
    Are you guys considered special agents like FDLE? And can you guys make arrests for general crimes, traffic stops or only fraud related crimes?

Unregistered
    No, we are not! No FSS 316

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12