Newly Certified Applicants

Unregistered

Newly Certified Applicants

Good morning,

I am currently attending the LE academy at HCC. Initially, I had planned to apply to HCSO but have heard that the agency will not take recruits who are fresh out of the academy unless it was on the agency's dime (LE Trainee). According to your agency's website, applicants not trained by HCSO have to have 3 years experience at another department. Personally, I would rather the department that I begin my career with be the last I apply to and HCSO is my primary choice. With the agency being so short-staffed on patrol, what is the possibility of a self-sponsored applicant being hired on without the 3 years? I would rather not waste the agency's time applying if that rule is concrete and I will be turned down. I just don't see how an applicant who is self-sponsored could be any different to one that the agency sponsors and sends through the exact same LE program.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Unregistered
    Talk to recruitment. Ask them. All answers here regarding your question will be speculation. Also, apply somewhere else. Anywhere else. You pre-cert obstacle with this agency is actually a blessing. All your reasons for becoming a cop will not be fulfilled here. Everything you think cops do, at the HCSO, are all opposite. We are report writing secretaries with no time or enough officers to even do that. We are social workers for adults and we put our noses in problems that are so far above the scope of police work, that after a few years you wont know what in God's name your job even is.

Unless you are connected at the HCSO and will be pulled off the road within a year, ride coat tails as a detective for a while, then made lieutenant within 10 years. In that case, apply and have a great time. Maybe they will make you a colonel for a day the day before you retire so you can get even more perks.

If you think you will be the exception by coming here with no connections and by giving it 300%, you are wrong. 300% effort for 5, 10, maybe 15 years or more? Hoping to be noticed and advance? Right. You will long since have burned out and deemed a "slug". Because remember, everything is your fault here. Calls still holding? Its not because we are short handed with only 5 units on a squad, its because the units are not working hard enough! 4 reports in perfect detail not done yet? Its not because we have to keep taking calls and are given no time to write them, its because we are too damn slow and not good enough. Taking too long on a call? Its not because we do all our crime scene work, its because we are abviously lazy. The list goes in.

Go to another agency. Better yet, go back to college, get a real career that wont destroy your identity and confidence, and start your own business. Work for yourself. Good luck.

Unregistered
    The above is absolutely spot-on, but I will say this - HCSO advertised yesterday that we are now accepting applications from academy graduates with no experience. You'll have to speak with recruitment for any further details. We are paid very well for being armed secretaries, but the politics and other issues mentioned above are absolutely correct. You can give 300% and be a rock star, but make one minor mistake or worse yet, just upset someone without even making a mistake, and you're done.

Unregistered
    This place is a disaster. Do yourself a favor and go do something other than law enforcement. If you must then go to TPD its 20 n out unlike our 30 years. We have more issues than most places due to the tyrants running this place. We have non cops in control who barely worked the road and have no clue. The patrol side is the worst due to the bookworm idiot running it with his do as i say attitude not as i do. Thank goodness he leaving but it s only going get worse so be smart and go somewhere that cares about the troops.

Unregistered
    Apply at HCSO lol, no. You are young, paid your way through academy and want to dedicate your entire career to your first agency. Let me do you a favor. APPLY to TPD!

Unregistered
    Folks, thank you for your time and honest input.